PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] E: Internal Error, No file name for libtinfo5

nwngeek212
October 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Alright, so I upgraded my Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 12.10 (over ssh). Now before you guys all start bashing me for upgrading over ssh, I knew the risks and I took them. My system works fine-ish, but there are some problems. I cannot install any packages through aptitude, no matter what I try to do, I always end up getting the same error:

E: Internal Error, No file name for libtinfo5

I've tried

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get -f autoremove
sudo apt-get -f upgrade

All of them show me that there is something that needs to be removed or installed, but the process halts as soon as the libtinfo5 error appears.

Any suggestions?

japher
October 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'm in a similar situation. The upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 appears to have failed and broken my system.

The do-release-upgrade command made some progress but eventually failed with an error trying to upgrade libdrm2. I tried a manual apt-get upgrade, and this failed with the same package.

Now apt can't add or remove packages, it instructs me to try apt-get install -f, but when I do I get the same error as you have mentioned:

E: Internal Error, No file name for libtinfo5

I really should have known better than to try an Ubuntu upgrade. I've lost count of the number of machines I have seen broken by failed upgrade attempts over the years :(

japher
October 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
I think I've managed to get past this by simply manually installing this package. Try the following:

wget "http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu//pool/main/n/ncurses/libtinfo5_5.9-10ubuntu1_amd64.deb"

sudo dpkg -i libtinfo5_5.9-10ubuntu1_amd64.deb

nwngeek212
October 25th, 2012, 04:49 AM
It worked!! Thanks so much!