PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.10 won't boot into 3.5.0-17

Nitewalker
October 21st, 2012, 02:43 AM
When I start to boot and I get the grub loader it has at the top:
Ubuntu
Advanced Options for Ubuntu,
then goes to my dual boot system win 7,

My question is that if I select the plan "Ubuntu" it opens up a terminal type log in asing for my username and password, if I enter that it then goes to my name and wants a command, I enter "startx" and it will go to my screen in version 3.5.0t-17, but there are no desktop icons displayed, just my blank desktop? How do I get the desktop folders to display when starting?

If I select "Advanced Options for Ubuntu" it open up a new window and it has listed Ubuntu 3.5.0-17 plus the recovery mode for it and it also has Ubuntu 3.2.0-31 and its recovery mode. If I select the 3.5.0-17 it gives me an error about my grapics and display is not being read and then some screens for trying to repair, nothing happens when tring.

If I select the 3.2.0-32 all boots normal and system is up and running....I am lost as to what to do....please help.....:confused:

dino99
October 21st, 2012, 03:40 AM
you can update your system:
- 3.5.0-17 is buggy
- 3.5.0-18 is out

as you have made a dist-upgrade from PP, you should clean the room to remove the old borked settings:
- sudo apt-get clean
- sudo apt-get autoclean
- sudo apt-get autoremove

via synaptic, check that your archives are all using QQ, then update

- purge 3.5.0-17 kernel packages
- install 3.5.0-18 kernel (need quantal-proposed archive activated)
- now purge then reinstall grub-pc

):P

Nitewalker
October 21st, 2012, 04:28 AM
thanks for reply, ran 1s 3 commands you listed, but am lost as to how to chekc via "synaptic" the archives......and also not sure of how to preform the next three instructions either, I am fairly new to this and would appriciate you input in what to do to complete the second half of your suggestion.....thanks:confused:

as you have made a dist-upgrade from PP, you should clean the room to remove the old borked settings:
- sudo apt-get clean
- sudo apt-get autoclean
- sudo apt-get autoremove

via synaptic, check that your archives are all using QQ, then update

- purge 3.5.0-17 kernel packages
- install 3.5.0-18 kernel (need quantal-proposed archive activated)
- now purge then reinstall grub-pc