PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't see any partition on installation

mogeb
October 21st, 2012, 02:22 AM
Hello everyone,
I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 (x86_64) on my new Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (Inspiron 7520).

I can boot from the live CD, and pass the first steps. The problem is, when I have to choose the partition on which I want to install Ubuntu, I can't see any partition.
If I decide to just try Ubuntu instead of installing it, I can perfectly see the other partitions using gparted, or fdisk -l.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

funicorn
October 21st, 2012, 03:43 AM
Usually this means you are using GPT partition table, or there is something with your partition table. It's can be told from the output of parted, paste the result of following command

sudo parted /dev/sda print

mogeb
October 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM
Thank you for your answer.
Here is the result of the command:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 41.1MB 41.1MB primary fat16 diag
2 41.9MB 25.0GB 24.9GB primary ntfs boot
3 25.0GB 790GB 766GB primary ntfs
4 790GB 1000GB 210GB primary ext4

Partition number 4 is the partition I created (I formated it using gparted).
I would also like to add that i already erased the GPT partition table using the steps described on this page: http://blog.paulgu.com/windows/delete-gpt-protective-partition/

Thank you

mogeb
October 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM
Ok I finally got it to work. I tried installing Fedora 17 (sorry everyone :P) because I know I read somewhere that it was "GPT-compatible". While booting into it I got the following message:

Disks sda, sdb contain BIOS RAID metadata, but are not part of any recognized BIOS RAID sets. Ignoring disks sda, sdb.

So I ran the following command to erase the metada:
sudo dmraid -r -E /dev/sda

And I can now install Ubuntu!
Thanks for your help and I hope this helps other people.