PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [install]New Install boots to grub

markwelch
October 21st, 2012, 12:21 AM
OK, I've apparently got several problems.

First, my efforts to install Ubuntu as dual-boot have all failed, and I've stopped trying that.

Now, I'm trying to install to a USB memory stick, and after the incredibly long delay "creating virtual disks" it eventually asked to reboot. After reboot, Ubuntu appears as an option on my boot menu, but if I select it, I just get dumped into Grub (version 1.99-21ubuntu3).

I've searched in these forums and found several responses to similar questions, all of which assume a level of knowledge I don't have.

Several responses to other threads suggest that I share my install logs, but I can't find any install logs in any of the locations suggested.

Other responses to other threads suggest downloading and installing specific updates after booting from the CD, but when I boot to Ubuntu from the CD, I don't have internet access (it won't recognize my USB wifi device).

If it matters, this is a Dell Dimension desktop from 2007.

I've spent more than a dozen hours on failed installs of Ubuntu 12.04, and I'm really, really tired.

markwelch
October 23rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Never mind -- I finally just installed VirtualBox and then installed Ubuntu inside.