PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Desktop icons missing after 12.10 upgrade

nLinked
October 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM
As the title suggests, my desktop icons don't show on the desktop after I upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04. Also, I can't right-click on the desktop - no menu appears. Everything else seems OK though. What could it be?

If I open Nautilus, my desktop icons and files are still there in my Desktop folder.

Frogs Hair
October 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Make sure the Advanced Settings/ Gnome Tweak tool is installed . There is a new version in 12.10 for Gnome 3.6 .I don't know if it would have been replaced during the upgrade since I did a clean installation . That is where the desktop icons and nautilus control desktop settings are.

nLinked
October 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Make sure the Advanced Settings/ Gnome Tweak tool is installed . There is a new version in 12.10 for Gnome 3.6 .I don't know if it would have been replaced during the upgrade since I did a clean installation . That is where the desktop icons and nautilus control desktop settings are.

That fixed it, thanks!

Frogs Hair
October 20th, 2012, 11:49 PM
You're Welcome ! :)

lateatnight
October 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Thank you, you helped me too :)

Dobly
February 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM

So, after an update today I'm on a desktop with no icons, no side menu, nothing. Alt-T got me a terminal and I am able to run Firefox. Here I am.

How do I 'make sure I have Advanced Settings/ Gnome Tweak installed?

phoenix90005
March 26th, 2013, 08:28 PM
So, after an update today I'm on a desktop with no icons, no side menu, nothing. Alt-T got me a terminal and I am able to run Firefox. Here I am.

How do I 'make sure I have Advanced Settings/ Gnome Tweak installed?

that's my question too ..... and how do apply Advanced Settings/ Gnome Tweak through terminal ?
what shall i do ?

phoenix90005
March 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM
hey guys i found a solution and it worked for me just fine

from terminal type this :

unity --reset-icons

to return UNITY interface to original state, type:
unity --reset

to return COMPISE to its original state, type:
gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 unity --reset

again type this command for the last time:
unity --reset