PDA

View Full Version : GPG 1.4 vs GPG 2 - Why not latest version?

hardc0ded
October 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hello,

First of all, I'm the new kid on the block - so let me apologize previously if this is not the correct category, but it seems the most appropriate.

I'm using the Ubuntu 12.10 and I find curious that the GPG version bundled with it is the 1.4.11 despite the version 2 being available. I've searched the forums to see if anyone has asked this before but got no luck, so...

Any special reason to have v1.4.11 instead of v2?

hardc0ded

kevdog
October 20th, 2012, 09:24 PM
gpg2 is more for keycard devices. It offers more features to accomodate these devices. If all you are doing is using gpg to encrypt files or email, there is no difference in functionality gained by 2 over version 1. Version 1 is much more widespread and compatible almost everywhere. Unless there is a compelling need, I'd stick with version 1. Both version 1 and version 2 are being actively developed. Its not like they stopped developing version 1 and moved onto 2.

hardc0ded
October 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM
And that's how you learn something new today :)

Thanks for the answer.

kevdog
October 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
If you want the cutting edge release of gpg1.x or 2.x, just compile from source using their git repository. It sounds really hard to do, however it really very very easy and may take you 5 minutes (really).