PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Bif of help with a bit of everything

corey88
October 20th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hey guys,

I have a few questions/issues that I need some help with. I've just got a new PC with a 240GB SSD to dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 from and a 1TB HDD that I would like to use for storage and swap.

When I install Ubuntu, the SSD is always sdb instead of sda. I could pull the HDD out and install Ubuntu with just the SSD which would (should) then be picked up as sda but I wouldn't be able to setup swap on the HDD (Want 16gb swap so I can use the Suspend function as I have 16gb RAM and don't want any swapping on the SSD). Is there a way to force a particular drive to use a certain drive name? If not, would I be able to install Ubuntu on the SSD without swap during install, then plug in the HDD after install and configure some space for swap using fdisk?

Also, this may be the wrong place to post, but I have a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard, and the SSD is not recognized in the Boot Order options. I am able to boot from it by changing the boot order with F11 at startup, but to boot from it, I need to press this every time - the motherboard supports UEFI so not sure if this has anything to do with it :(.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but just looking for some help or pointers in the right direction.

Cheers,

Corey88

Cheesemill
October 20th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I don't see what your problem is.

Just install Ubuntu onto your SSD (it doesn't matter whether it is sda or sdb).