PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Desktop environments going nuts after upgrades

linuxgrrl
October 20th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hello,
My living room PC also serves as my personal computer, using 2 displays (monitor and TV). I had not upgraded the system in quite a while, and finally last weekend I had some time and put it through about 3 version upgrades, to the current Mythbuntu version, with gnome-desktop installed.

The default window manager (xfce) starts up with a crash report and is too bare-bones for my needs. Unity seems to work normally, but it is "too much" ... I'd really just prefer "gnome classic" but when I select that option, I get truly nutty behavior: task bar that doesn't exist, the screen icons appear to shake slightly, there are crash reports, and the system is basically unusable/unstable until ctrl-alt-del.

How can I get "gnome classic" to work? is there some file I can just delete and start over with fresh settings for "gnome classic," or is that not the right approach?
Thanks in advance,
Mary

AlexDudko
October 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Try CentOS which will support Gnome2 for several years.

linuxgrrl
October 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Um, isn't that a whole other OS? I have a working install of Mythtv, I don't want to do a rip-and-replace.

The login screen has an option for "gnome classic," does anyone know how to get that working properly?

AlexDudko
October 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Standard Gnome2 is much better than "Classical Gnome" option in contemporary Ubuntu. Classical Gnome doesn't work good for me either. Classical Gnome (No Effects) seems to have less issues, have you tried this option? And there's also LXDE...

linuxgrrl
October 20th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks, I didn't realize they were two different things. I'll give LXDE a try. Classic Gnome worked equally badly for me with or without effects! :)