PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 12.10 worked perfectly

vibaviattigala
October 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM
wow i love it unity is awsome anyway i am runing 64 bit version of ubuntu so will there be some compatibily issues with update managers soft? are they only work for 32 bit

anyway i am so impressed so fast than windows xp i used i installed ubuntu restricted extras now what else i need to do?

grahammechanical
October 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
now what else i need to do?

Use it. But do not expect to get fancy effects.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/maintainers-for-the-unsupported-plugins/

Do you need to activate a proprietary video driver? I found Nouveau in 12.10 to be good enough to give Unity 3D, which did not happen in 12.04.

To activate a proprietary driver in 12.10 go to System Settings>Software Sources. On the Ubuntu Software tab tick Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted) and then go to the Additional Drivers tab and select a driver and click apply changes.

This is different from how things are done in 12.04

Regards.

NormanFLinux
October 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
wow i love it unity is awsome anyway i am runing 64 bit version of ubuntu so will there be some compatibily issues with update managers soft? are they only work for 32 bit

anyway i am so impressed so fast than windows xp i used i installed ubuntu restricted extras now what else i need to do?

Download the "Bleeding Edge" script to let you pimp up Ubuntu with multimedia, third party repositories and proprietary software not included in the official Ubuntu repositories. They will turn Ubuntu into a rolling release distro and help you keep everything up to date with the latest versions of current software.

kurt18947
October 20th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Use it. But do not expect to get fancy effects.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/maintainers-for-the-unsupported-plugins/

Do you need to activate a proprietary video driver? I found Nouveau in 12.10 to be good enough to give Unity 3D, which did not happen in 12.04.

To activate a proprietary driver in 12.10 go to System Settings>Software Sources. On the Ubuntu Software tab tick Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted) and then go to the Additional Drivers tab and select a driver and click apply changes.

This is different from how things are done in 12.04

Regards.

So THAT'S where they hid it. Thanks.

cariboo
October 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Download the "Bleeding Edge" script to let you pimp up Ubuntu with multimedia, third party repositories and proprietary software not included in the official Ubuntu repositories. They will turn Ubuntu into a rolling release distro and help you keep everything up to date with the latest versions of current software.

How does the script deal with ppas that don't have a Quantal version yet?