PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10 Compiz Extra Animation ?

akha666
October 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hello there
I had installed Ubuntu 12.10 yesterday, and install compiz with
compiz-plugins-extra/main and ccsm but lost some animation not like Ubuntu 12.04

is there any solution

thx

grahammechanical
October 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
is there any solution?

Yes, become a Compiz developer.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/maintainers-for-the-unsupported-plugins/

Regards.

akha666
October 20th, 2012, 09:48 PM
thanks for answer
I hope it done quickly

pablo180
October 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Yes, become a Compiz developer.

Wow! My car is making a funny noise. I could take it back to the dealership, but I think I may train to become a mechanic instead. That way I can track down the problem myself fix it and then customize the car to suit my own needs. Of course in giving up my day job to become a mechanic I will no longer have need for, or be able to afford, my car, let alone need to customise it, but I am sure that is a price worth paying.

stinkeye
October 25th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Wow! My car is making a funny noise. I could take it back to the dealership, but I think I may train to become a mechanic instead. That way I can track down the problem myself fix it and then customize the car to suit my own needs. Of course in giving up my day job to become a mechanic I will no longer have need for, or be able to afford, my car, let alone need to customise it, but I am sure that is a price worth paying.
Cute analogy...except you buy your car and pay your mechanic.

pablo180
October 25th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Cute analogy...except you buy your car and pay your mechanic.

True, but you buy your computer and also pay technicians for repairs as well as buy software, but my point was that no one expects a car owner to sort out their own problems, or indeed any other kind of end user. But Ubuntu, and Linux users in general, are frequently told if something doesn't work, or if they are not happy with it, to learn to program and do it themselves. Which really gets my goat.

Linux need to realise that end users bring in developers and development, not the other way around. Otherwise, although it is clear today that this is already now pretty much a given, it will forever be a niche product for bedroom coders.

grahammechanical
October 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Linux need to realise that end users bring in developers and development, not the other way around.

It was the other way around that got Linux started in the first place. It is the developers that keep Linux going and improving. They certainly are not doing it to become rich.

There is a saying: You get what you pay for. Well, we get a lot and we pay nothing. How about that!

The least I can do is accept the limits and restrictions that come with using community developed software.

Regards.

jeffreywryan
October 26th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Or, you could just do this...

sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins

If you don't have all of compiz installed, use this...

sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins

I'm a developer, a Linux guy, and an Apple guy. I prefer solutions that just work. I'm guessing this solution will work. It did for me.

stinkeye
October 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Or, you could just do this...

sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins

If you don't have all of compiz installed, use this...

sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins

I'm a developer, a Linux guy, and an Apple guy. I prefer solutions that just work. I'm guessing this solution will work. It did for me.
Depends on what compiz plugins you want.
If you read grahammechanical's link you'll see some plugins will no
longer be supported by the compiz developer whose main goal now
is developing compiz for unity.

pablo180
October 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
There is a saying: You get what you pay for. Well, we get a lot and we pay nothing. How about that!

That's not strictly true. All OSs are free, they come free with a computer. As Eric Cador of HP said recently "...consumers buy the product, they don't buy the OS." Your average user doesn't walk into a shop and buy a new OS off the shelf, they buy the computer and it ships 'free' with it. Touting an OS as free is like a car dealer stating that each car comes with free pedals and a steering wheel. Redundant.

I, and I am sure many Ubuntu users, would be happy to buy the OS, it is no fault of ours that we can not. It being free is no excuse for flaws, lack of features or things generally not working properly.

Telling end users that the only solution to their problem or complaints is to learn to program is tantamount to telling them to use another OS. As I said, as an 'end user', I find that response really annoying, belittling and more than a little presumptuous (I know that that is not literally what you were saying, but I see that kind of response too often).

Linux was started by one man in his bedroom as he wasn't happy with the OS choices that were on offer. Twenty years on, there are more coders in more bedrooms and but other than that, very little has changed. Indeed were it not for the likes of Ubuntu and Red Hat, there would be practically no change and the only users would be coders, through necessity.

shaun.husain
December 9th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I disagree Pablo you and I, the consumers, do pay for the other OSes that are widely used.

Manufacturers of computers such as HP, Dell, IBM, whoever runs Windows, pay Microsoft an OEM licensing fee (believe it's around $70 per computer). This fee is just loaded into the price of the computer.

Apple tends to drastically mark up the price of their hardware offsetting the cost of the OS and still charge for major upgrades on their desktop/laptop OS (and simply stop upgrading the mobile devices after a few versions, not saying this is unreasonable just what it is). For a good comparison of the price hike check out a System76 laptop vs a MacBook Pro (with only notable technical difference listed, aesthetics are not measured)

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/bonx6
$1499 (USD)
17" 1920x1080 driven by NVidia GeForce GTX 670MX with 3 GB GDDR5 Memory and 960 CUDA Cores
2.4 GHz Intel Quad-core
7200 RPM 500 GB HDD
Ubuntu 12.10

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/Z0MV2LL/A
$1958 (USD)
15" 1440x900 driven by Intel HD Graphics 4000
2.3 GHz Intel Quad-core
5400 RPM 500 GB HDD
Mac OS X
Battery Life is Better

So what you're telling me is it costs 400 dollars to put it in a nice shiny aluminum case (R&D on beveled edges?). Plus you down-grade all those components (most notably the GPU and monitor, give it to Apple I can't get a "Retina" System76 machine).

I hear ya though, most of us here wish Ubuntu always just worked and did all the snappy cool things we like, but its no reason to get your feathers all in a ruffle. I mean I can completely agree that Canonical should do what they can to get in with the hardware manufacturers to get some money to improve things but it has to be enough money to not just make it work on the given system, but actually pay for added features as well.

From what I've heard/read big companies pay for the Linux kernel to get better (like HP, Dell, IBM, Google) by hiring gurus to optimize things for their systems to keep operating costs down on servers. Because of GPL we, the general public get something that seems quite free (albeit subsidized to some degree it's in such an indirect way it's hard to see the relationship). There's simply not a big enough pay off to maintain everything that ever happens in the linux community in every distribution and the ubuntu devs and canonical's people can't serve every desire. I'm personally pretty happy with the OS, certainly some things I miss from the 10.10 days and beyond but things have consistently been more stable and just in general better (experienced Ubuntu from about 6.10, previously toyed with SuSe and Red Hat).

So to wrap up what I did is buy a System76 laptop (SSD option, extra battery), buy an OEM copy of Windows 8 from TigerDirect (still on the fence if Win8 was a good idea WHERE'S MY START BUTTON M$ haha, now I'm complaining about OS changes) and dual-boot Ubuntu. Adobe Suite and games in Windows everything else (programming, "surfing the internet"... what a hilariously dated phrase) in Ubuntu and life is good.

Dual booting entails:
1. Install Windows by putting the disk in and following the menus doing a fresh install and using the whole disk.
2. Install Ubuntu, during install will automatically see windows and ask if you want to install side by side, again follow the wizard directions just like installing any other program.

I wouldn't leave this one to my parents but certainly wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to any friends (some of whom now really like ubuntu).

bazmonkey
December 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I know Pablo's posts are two months old and this is terribly off-topic, but I feel compelled to chime in here. As someone who's written linux.com articles about this, it rubs me when I read this kind of sentiment.

Back to the dead-beaten-horse of an analogy, the car... Saying the OS is "free" with a new computer is akin to saying a component of the car is "free" with the car, such as the upholstery. Now, the upholstery in a car isn't free, of course. It's part of the cost. The OS is, too. An OEM license from Microsoft costs real money, that carries to the cost of the computer, and you can even get it refunded if you don't use it. Go ask for the next version of Windows at the store and demand it be free because you bought a computer that these things usually come with.

The OS is not free by default, and using Linux really does get you something free that typically costs money. And even if it wasn't, did your copy of Linux come with your computer? Is there some reason you feel justified in demanding support for an explicitly-unsupported feature?

Let's put all of that aside for the sake of argument. We're not even talking about a bug, or mistake, or something "wrong" with compiz! It's a set of plugins, an ABSOLUTELY non-essential one, that is becoming too difficult to maintain. Companies phase out features of software all the time.

You said it wasn't your fault that Canonical wasn't charging for Ubuntu and thus don't have the resources to maintain compiz plugins. They have a donate page... no one's stopping you from paying, you know.

So if you want your pretty plugins, you can wait and see if someone else does it, help get it done, or help pay to get it done. Same anywhere else. Put your money where your mouth is, your effort where your mouth is, or get your mouth out of the way.

I'm not trying to say end-users should just shut up and put up with it, but I'm also saying that you don't have a lot of room to complain. Linux is free and fun and yours to use, and you're encouraged to do just that. But please, don't act like that makes you suddenly entitled to say what developers should do for you.

pablo180
January 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I know Pablo's posts are two months old and this is terribly off-topic, but I feel compelled to chime in here.

I think it is important to clear up some problems you are having with the analogy. First: all cars come with a steering wheel, it isn't an optional extra. All PCs come with an OS, it isn't an optional extra. It may be part of the production costs of the end product but it is still offered as part of the end product. If it is included in the price, i.e. not offered as an extra or available without, then to all intents and purposes to the consumer, it is free. It has no value. It may do to you, but you are in a tiny minority.

Can you name one major European based retailer which sells PCs without an OS? I'll give you a clue, there are the exactly the same amount of car showrooms selling cars without steering wheels. None. Apparently you can take Windows back for a full refund, but how many average users know that, or indeed now many have? You do know that it is possible to change a car steering wheel? You can buy all sorts of custom made ones, retro ones, racing ones, you name it. But how many people do take their free steering wheel that came with the car out and replace it with another?

We can argue semantics as long as we like as to what constitutes free, but at the end of the day no-one sells PCs without an OS, ergo to the consumer it is just the software that comes with their PC.

To give you another perhaps more pertinent example. OpenOffice/Libre Office is free, and it has a far, far greater market penetration than Linux because Office Software has value. Yet logically one would think that the converse would be true, after all not everyone needs Office Software, everyone needs an OS, but then every computer comes with an OS making such a need redundant.

Let's be honest here, people love free stuff. Yet Linux can't even be given away, because as an OS it has no real value. Like the guy from HP said, people buy hardware, not software. iOS became so popular not because it was a great OS that everyone wanted, but because it came with the hardware everyone wanted.

My laptop did come with Ubuntu. It was sold by Dell back when they briefly sold PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed. It also cost the same amount as the exact same spec PC, with Windows, i.e. there was no saving Linux wasn't 'free'.

Is there some reason you feel justified in demanding support for an explicitly-unsupported feature?

Yes. I am an end user, without people like me using the software, there would be no need for it. If I, and those like me, didn't demand features, improvements, then who would? The developers? Maybe you have a point, all developers should just make software for themselves and hope someone find it useful, or alters it to better suit. But that is exactly where Linux started, and 20+ years later it is the reason it has never grown.

At what point can one make demands of the software that one invests time in and uses every day? If technically I am not a customer then what is the donation threshold for making feature requests? Is it £1000, £5000, £10,0000 before I am justified? I have spent more over the past decade on Linux than I would have using Windows, yet ironically I still have to purchase Windows too. Regardless of your personal beliefs on the subject, as soon as I use Ubuntu, I am a stakeholder and therefore justified; this is after all supposedly a community product. I am not a child. I am not some schoolboy or penniless student, nor some freeloader using Linux/Ubuntu because it is free. I use it because I believe in the philosophy, ethics and aims, and I pay over the odds to do so.

Clearly though, if I wanted to pay over the odds for something, and then be belittled, marginalised or ignored for complaining, I could just go with the cheaper option and solely use Microsoft products.

You seem to feel that end users should be grateful that they get to use an OS for free, I see it the other way, the developers should be grateful that they have developed something that an end user wishes to use.

Back to the plugins, in your view they are non-essential, because you don't use them. Please don't assume that however you use your computer is the right way and that everyone else is wrong. Firstly, they were a feature that have been included for years and then recently removed. Something that seems to be happening with increasing regularity with Linux in recent years. My complaint wasn't that they were removed (although I wish they weren't), it was that when someone asked about them, they were basically told the same old phrase learn to code and do it yourself. That is foolish and unhelpful. Ironically, Linux Torvalds himself has recently been complaining that useful features are being removed. Should he also consider himself lucky that he is using free software and stop complaining? Maybe he should learn to program?

It isn't my fault that Canonical do not have the resources, despite my donations, but then Canonical seem to be too intent on chasing markets they do not have, years too late, rather than trying to keep the users that they do have. If I paid for every feature I need, felt I needed or wanted back after it was arbitrarily removed, I would be penniless.

MrZorg2012
January 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm just trying to get compiz to install and work. From what I have read, conical does get paid, how much I don't really care.

But it said here when I joined this forum, not to be scared of posting a question... Yet it turns into a flaming war. Reminds me of dvb forums ie: "you're too stupid to read, then we won't help you" even tho they are expecting you to read that stupid response...

I tried to work the compiz install, got them all installed from Synaptic. But they won't load at boot, like on Knoppix. The reason I went with lubuntu is I LOVE lxde. FAST and I could get the Nvidia drivers to work. So in desktop settings I changed it to show " compiz --replace" and it still did not work, as in loading when I boot up. So I did the same in terminal sudo compiz --replace. Compiz did come on at that time, but no title bar on the windows. So I replaced /etc/X11/default-display-manager to show compiz --replace, instead of lightdm ... This crashed my PC and could not startx. So I came here to find out how to do this. But I'm really expecting someone to tell me to read up, instead of just telling me what to do. I have been working with computers for a LONG time, MS Oem system builder, Partner program etc... have several MS certs. I just got tired of all the virus issues. Have been playing with Linux for some time, trying out different distros, been searching for issues on my own. But this one has me stumped. I tried to compare the differences between how Knoppix and Lubuntu load compiz, but am unable to figure it out.
Is there anyone helpful to ask? Or will I also be belittled into leaving this forum?

mc4man
January 14th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I'm just trying to get compiz to install and work.
Is there anyone helpful to ask? Or will I also be belittled into leaving this forum?
Well i don't use lubuntu so can't offer direct instr. & won't tell you that a google site search specific to compiz lubuntu may prove fruitful.

What you really should do is start a new thread of your own, prefix it lubuntu & title it specific to your issue rather than post in this thread concerning some currently 'missing' compiz plugins or whatever.
(didn't bother to read any post past #9 & like many never will..

pablo180
January 15th, 2013, 01:50 AM
I'm just trying to get compiz to install and work. So in desktop settings I changed it to show " compiz --replace" and it still did not work, as in loading when I boot up. So I did the same in terminal sudo compiz --replace. Compiz did come on at that time, but no title bar on the windows.

I can't be much help either I am afraid, although I do remember encountering a similar problem when I was looking at changing desktop environments, but I don't remember whether it was XFCE or LXDE.

Anyway, the only way that I got compiz to run at the start was to have the compiz --replace command run at start up under Startup Applications. This seemed to work OK but I also didn't have any window decorations. From what I remember I installed Compiz Config Settings Manager and also Metacity from the Software Centre. Then restarted compiz (compiz --replace), which may have worked.

Failing that there is a plugin in Compiz Config Settings Manager called Window Decoration, under that I believe the Command location needs changing. Problem is I don't remember what it needs setting too, or whether this was for XFCE.

Mine currently is set to:

/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator

Which I think is the default. If the above fails, I believe you need to set that to use LXDE window decorator.

mc4man
January 15th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Still think a new thread is better as you may attract lubuntu users who have done such & know better.
Anyway installed lubuntu, was quite simple to enable, ect.

Installed compiz, compiz-plugins & compizconfig-settings-manager
Ran compizconfig-settings-manager & enabled the req. & some optional plugins.
Created a startup in ~/.config/autostart named compiz.desktop, used this

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=compiz --replace ccp
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=4
Name=compiz

To change themes I installed dconf-editor & edited the theme name in org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme
All other changes for appearance in Preferences > Custom Look and Feel except for desktop background, used Desktop Preferences

Likely other maybe better ways, didn't yet find way to maybe add compiz to the login dropdown

pepi55
January 26th, 2013, 12:59 AM
erm.. how about just saying that it is not possible (yet) to do so and discuss this somewhere else? xD

I mean.. i was looking for an answer here not for a discussion.