PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to upgrade to 12.10 with the downloaded iso file?

seventhsamurai
October 20th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I downloaded the iso installation file for 12.10 from the website and attempted to install. However, the option to upgrade from the existing installation of 12.04.1 is disabled, and the only choice allowed is to erase the existing installation and install fresh.

Of course, I am aware that I can upgrade using the distribution upgrade tool from within 12.04.1, but my problem is that the files take forever to download despite me running it off a 12 mbps connection. I need to upgrade on 4 more systems and I'd hate to have to download and upgrade via the upgrade tool on each one.

Can anyone help? Is there anyway to just use the 800mb iso file that I have downloaded off ubuntu.com without having to wipe out all my files?

funicorn
October 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM
No you can't. In the past one can do off line upgrade via ubuntu alternative CD. But there isn't one for Ubuntu 12.10.

commanderwil
October 22nd, 2012, 01:27 AM
Where can I get the iso file for a cd

Jedcurtis
October 22nd, 2012, 01:39 AM
Where can I get the iso file for a cd

You can't is the simple answer! The .iso file when burned is over 800 mb, rendering CD burning useless. You HAVE to burn it to a DVD or create a USB installer.

Jed

commanderwil
October 22nd, 2012, 01:44 AM
You can't is the simple answer! The .iso file when burned is over 800 mb, rendering CD burning useless. You HAVE to burn it to a DVD or create a USB installer.

Jed
I meant to say dvd sorry

Jedcurtis
October 22nd, 2012, 01:58 AM
I meant to say dvd sorry

No problem! You can get the iso from the Ubuntu site.

Jed

commanderwil
October 22nd, 2012, 02:05 AM
No problem! You can get the iso from the Ubuntu site.

Jed
yes but where on the website

mikodo
October 22nd, 2012, 02:17 AM
Download it from the site linked below and burn the .iso to a dvd. (Instructions on the site):

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Oops, you weren't the the OP.

commanderwil
October 22nd, 2012, 02:20 AM
dud haha thank you very much and thank you also jed

Cheesemill
October 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

Jed
The 12.10 desktop image fits just fine on an 800MB CD.

seventhsamurai
October 22nd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Ok so while it is now concluded that the 800mb iso file cannot be used to upgrade an existing installation of 12.04 keeping all data intact, the pain can be eased a little if you are upgrading on multiple systems.

I ran the upgrade via the internal upgrade tool on 1 system. Once the system was fully upgraded to 12.10, I then ran aptoncd to create an iso file of downloaded packages.

Then I simply restored packages on system no. 2 using aptoncd, which copied most of these upgrade packages onto it. Then I ran the internal upgrade tool, which only asked to download about a 100 files vs the 2000+ files it would have to if you were upgrading from scratch.

kflorek
October 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
What I do for two systems is to work with the files in

/var/cache/apt/archives

The first system, using say apt, will cache the files into this directory until it has all required. I then copy those to some intermediate media. Then copy the files to the cache directory on the second system (as su of course.) apt checks and uses files in this cache rather then dumbly re-downloading

Something unknown deletes some of these files in later Ubuntus, after a day or so, so don't assume they will be there forever to copy. I wish I knew what. Earlier Ubuntus kept the files permanently, so long as you set it to keep them in synaptic.