PDA

View Full Version : Grub bootloader goes fail to boot in dual boot system after installing Ubuntu 12.10

ketan985
October 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I had 12.04 with my dual boot system. Yesterday I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 make bootable USB and choose Upgrade option in Installer. After installation Grub failed to boot my machine. I tried following to fix grub bootloder . Same problem I fixed with Ubuntu 12.04 using live USB but this solution not work for Ubuntu 12.10. Now coming at exactly where this solution goes fail.
I followed this steps after booting Live USB and opening terminal.
1) sudo fdisk -l to see where Linux is installed
2) sudo mount /dev/sda9 /mnt where sda9 is my linux partition
3) sudo mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/boot
4) sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
5) sudo chroot /mnt (No problems with this steps done perfectly)
6) grub-install /dev/sda when I type I got error that
source_dir doesn't exist Please specify --target or --directory
How can I solve this ?

p-dh
October 20th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Have you tried using boot-repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair)? I have used it on several computers and it has done the trick. If it doesn't fix your problem, please post and I'll help you through this. I have found that grub2 is pretty easy to fix.

Peace,
Paul :cool:

darkod
October 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
You can't mount /dev/sda9 as both / and /boot. Do you have a separate /boot partition or not?

If you don't have, you don't need to mount anything at /mnt/boot, that is only for separate /boot partitions.

If you do have separate /boot, it has to be another partition, /dev/sda9 can't be both.

PS. I don't know where you found those command, but usually you don't need the chroot. You can do it without it and it's much simpler, you only pass as argument the mounted root partition. So, if your /dev/sda9 is root and you have no separate /boot partition, you only need to do:

sudo mount /dev/sda9 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
That should work.

ketan985
January 1st, 2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks a lot Friend !!!!!!!!!!!!!