PDA

View Full Version : Article: Mozilla opens Firefox Marketplace, brings apps to Aurora on Android

cfg83
October 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Hello -

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/mozilla-opens-firefox-marketplace-brings-apps-to-aurora-on-android-20121019/

Looking to get a taste of Firefox OS but don’t have a spare phone to try it out on? You can get a pretty good idea at what part of the experience will be like by installing the latest Firefox Aurora release on your Android smartphone or tablet (or HDMI stick, too). Mozilla has thrown open the doors to the Firefox Marketplace, and enthusiastic testers have already begun installing apps.

You’ll need to create a Persona account first, and then grab the Firefox Aurora APK from Mozilla’s servers. Once it’s installed, just point Aurora to marketplace.mozilla.org to browse through the apps. It looks — and behaves — like pretty much any other modern app store out there.

Carlos

mr john
October 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM
interesting, I think I'll try that tomorrow. Last time I installed a firefox app on my phone it sucked really bad though.

doorknob60
October 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM
interesting, I think I'll try that tomorrow. Last time I installed a firefox app on my phone it sucked really bad though.

When was the last time? I know a while ago it sucked, but it seems like maybe 3-6 months ago, they released a really good update, and since that, it's been really good, good enough to become my default Android browser.

sandyd
October 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the brand new Mobile Technology Forum section :)

Copper Bezel
October 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM
I like what y'all've done with the place. = )

Even the difference between the current Firefox release and Aurora is quite tangible - I found Firefox irritating, Aurora far less so. It's still not as nice as Chrome for regular browsing, but it does some things Chrome doesn't, and it's quite usable.