PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.10 upgrade problem.

prasantrai
October 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Just now have upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10. Upgrade process went fine, but after that i cant see any thing except my default desktop. I tried login as a guest too but issue is same. I am not able to open unity launcher also. Nothimg is working. Can amy one help me out in this problem.

Thanks.

Frogs Hair
October 19th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hello and Welcome

If I am understanding correctly the desktop is visible but frozen. You can try the following

Unity Not Working

Login to Ubuntu use Ctrl + Alt + F1 to enter TTY. Next enter user name, password, and run the following command.

setsid unity
Wait until the process is complete and your user name appears again. Use Ctrl + Alt + F7 to renter the desktop environment.

If there is error reporting wait until finished. If Unity doesn't appear within a minute or two restart and login to Ubuntu.

Supaiku
October 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hello and Welcome

If I am understanding correctly the desktop is visible but frozen. You can try the following

I suspect this may not be the problem, though perhaps prasantrai can confirm.

I have a (I think) similar problem. After upgrading to 12.10, unity does not start. Instead, xorg runs, and the wallpaper is visible, with some windows (for instance, programs which are set to start on startup, like deluge, and my sensor dock app) start up. I can even start a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T. However, these windows lack their Unity GUI components, like close, maximize and minimize. Also, the Unity bar etc. are not there.

prasantrai, what hardware do you have?

My amd64 system has an onboard Radeon HD4250. looking at logs from trying to start unity confirm there is a problem with opengl for me. I suspect, it may be related to the Radeon drivers, and the update to xorg 1.13 and Opengl 3.0, as described here: www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/how-to-enable-opengl-30-support-for.html

However, I haven't solved this problem for me yet (partially due to not having access to the computer in question ATM.)

Does my problem sound similar to your problem prasantrai?
Does anyone else have any input for this problem?

EDIT:
For me this problem was fixed simply by removing fglrx

'sudo apt-get autoremove fglrx --purge'

http://askubuntu.com/questions/202752/upgrade-to-quantal-unity-top-bar-side-bar-and-window-declorations-missing/202782

rbscycle
December 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hi,

Just now have upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10. Upgrade process went fine, but after that i cant see any thing except my default desktop. I tried login as a guest too but issue is same. I am not able to open unity launcher also. Nothimg is working. Can amy one help me out in this problem.

Thanks.

I just updated 12.10 with the new updates and have the same problem. I also had Docky installed, so I could get to my files, but no Unity! I just wiped the system and re-installed everything. I'll try the update with no Docky...

rbscycle
December 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I just updated 12.10 with the new updates and have the same problem. I also had Docky installed, so I could get to my files, but no Unity! I just wiped the system and re-installed everything. I'll try the update with no Docky...

After re-installing 12.10, I dad a: sudo apt-get update, then a sudo apt-get upgrade, from the command prompt. Now Unity is there. Everything seems to be working.

hans12345
March 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Sounds like my problem
"Just now have upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10. Upgrade process went fine, but after that i cant see any thing except my default desktop. I tried login as a guest too but issue is same. I am not able to open unity launcher also. Nothimg is working. Can amy one help me out in this problem."

On startup, I have my wall paper, I have my Icons, but NOTHING else. No header, no footer, no sidebar. I cannot even do a shutdown - I have to use the power switch!

This sounds familar "My amd64 system has an onboard Radeon HD4250"

I'll try some of the above ideas and post results.

hans12345
March 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I tried this but it did not work, still no Unity:
"After re-installing 12.10, I dad a: sudo apt-get update, then a sudo apt-get upgrade, from the command prompt. Now Unity is there. Everything seems to be working."

But I found this solution:
http://www.unixmen.com/ubuntu-12-10-and-amd-catalyst-problem-solved/

I followed this advice:
use a 3rd-party repository created by Tomasz Makarewicz for this purpose only. (I personally recommend it)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy

finally reboot your PC
Endquote

Perfect!

Shall I have to do the same thing for every Ubuntu upgrade?

enderforce
May 27th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I seem to have this same problem. I recently realized I still had 12.04, so I upgraded to 12.10, then upgraded to 13.04. I tried the download from http://www.unixmen.com/ubuntu-12-10-and-amd-catalyst-problem-solved/ and
sudo apt-get autoremove fglrx --purgeas well as other things, but still no luck. Any ideas? Should I not have upgraded to 13.04 until fixing this? Thanks.

P.S. I think my graphics card is a Mobility Radeon HD 3000 series in case you are wondering

enderforce
June 3rd, 2013, 04:07 AM
I just decided to back up and reinstall. Everything seems ok now (well there are still some minor and probably not directly related problems).

virtual_m
June 3rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
For me this problem was fixed simply by removing fglrx

'sudo apt-get autoremove fglrx --purge'

http://askubuntu.com/questions/202752/upgrade-to-quantal-unity-top-bar-side-bar-and-window-declorations-missing/202782

This works for me too...
[graphic card on mine Toshiba laptop is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145]

mostafijur-rahman75
May 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM
i also upgrade from ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10.but after upgrade and restarting my laptop till the 'welcome ubuntu' everything gone fine but after that a black screen appears,its not allowing me to go to the login option.im not able to do anything,no key is working.please help me.
thank you.