PDA

View Full Version : Moving from 12.04 to 12.10 solved full screen video problems

eggsbenedict
October 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM
So, I had trouble with Ubuntu 12.04 3d. I'm not sure what it was, for the longest time I figured it had something to do with my drivers, fglrx, and what not. In my ubuntu forums post history, most of my posts were dedicated to trying to solve this issue - basically, full screen videos (vlc, youtube, - the whole spectrum), would be incredibly choppy.

But, after being told by many a people that my computer (despite being relatively new running windows 7 flawlessly dualboot) just probably couldn't handle 3d effects and compiz.

Well, whatever Ubuntu did this time around for 12.10 is great. I decided to try it and it runs better for me than 12.04. It is smoother, full screen videos play fine, and it even uses less RAM for me.

I do have a few issues with webapps not working (cough, gmail, cough), but other than that I am very happy with my new 12.10!

kef_kf
October 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM
YES! This made me so happy, vsync works even with 2 monitors now (nvidia twinview).

Although I got hit with a bit of a performance trouble with compiz initially, switching to the experimental nvidia driver from software sources took care of that as well.

12.10 what a great release!