PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Tweak Ends Development - then starts again

neu5eeCh
October 19th, 2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/10/ubuntu-tweak-stops-development-claims-no-longer-free/

Just noticed this morning. I don't use Unity, but it's still useful and I use it in Xubuntu. Bleachbit, however, does the same work. Nonetheless, seems like a real usability blow to Unity.

Grenage
October 19th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Either I'm particularly obtuse; or the author of that article (with "over 10 years Linux experience") managed to completely misinterpret 'free', in the sense it was surely used.

SlugSlug
October 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM
A real shame, it one of the first apps I install

zombifier25
October 19th, 2012, 02:40 PM
It's open source. I doubt such a useful tool is going to die.

neu5eeCh
October 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM
It's open source. I doubt such a useful tool is going to die.

I had the same thought, and yet the author seemed to imply that the source code wasn't available? He writes: "If the issue here is money, why not offer the source code but sell the packages in the Ubuntu Software Center."

zombifier25
October 19th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I had the same thought, and yet the author seemed to imply that the source code wasn't available? He writes: "If the issue here is money, why not offer the source code but sell the packages in the Ubuntu Software Center."

?
The source is still on Launchpad. I don't think that the creator is even allowed to pull it according to the GPL.

neu5eeCh
October 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM
More information is forthcoming Web UPD8 just mentioned Ubuntu Tweak's "demise" (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/ubuntu-tweak-development-stopped.html). One of the comments (from someone who can read Chinese):

According to Tualatrix Chou's blog (written in Chinese), It seems that the new "Apps" feature in Ubuntu Tweak turned out to be a "network traffic consuming" monster, up to 10 GB a day, and this is unexpected for Tualatrix I guess this may be one of the reasons why the development is stopped because before the announcement, Tualatrix was talking about the server traffic problem.

If so, I'm not sure why the developer doesn't just eliminate the feature? The developer also works (or worked?) for Canonical. Some suggest there might be internal politics at play. I say: Whatever. Makes for interesting speculation. :popcorn:

MadmanRB
October 20th, 2012, 02:38 AM
http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/2012/10/19/the-development-of-ubuntu-tweak-is-stopped.html

I really hope someone jumps in and takes it over as Ubuntu tweak is one of the first apps I reccomend to new users to make things easier as lets face it, software center is limited and command line is confusing for new users.
It also features a lot of handy tools for handling nautilus and all that.
I hate to see it go.

dniMretsaM
October 20th, 2012, 03:22 AM
What exactly is the reason behind this (the end of development)? I don't get his statement about how developing free software is not free. If your developing free software, it is, by definition, free. Unless he's equivocating on "free."

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 20th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Merged threads.

Ravi5kumar
October 20th, 2012, 07:07 AM
So sad! :( It was the first utility that I install in Ubuntu!

"making free software is not free any more"

Sorry but I doesn't understand what it means?

x-shaney-x
October 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I doubt anyone but the author can understand what it means because it can mean so many things.

I suspect it simply means the author can no longer afford to keep maintaining it but I dunno.

BeRoot ReBoot
October 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
So sad! :( It was the first utility that I install in Ubuntu!

Sorry but I doesn't understand what it means?

I suspect it has to do with Canonical going Jimbo Wales for your pocket change. A despicable move and one that's likely to alienate the target audience.

whatthefunk
October 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Its bad when users of a DE have to rely on a third party program to configure their systems to their liking. Hopefully this will put additional pressure on Canonical to refine Unity.

x-shaney-x
October 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I suspect it has to do with Canonical going Jimbo Wales for your pocket change. A despicable move and one that's likely to alienate the target audience.

I suspect that the people with pocket change ARE the target audience these days.

zombifier25
October 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM

Elaborate please. I'm having a hard time trying to understand your post.

kc1di
October 20th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Sad to hear. Hope someone will continue the work or come up with another app that will do much the same thing.

Best wishes to the Dev and hope he finds rest.
I know how stressful keeping a development going can be.

MG&TL
October 20th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Elaborate please. I'm having a hard time trying to understand your post.

BeRoot is ranting about the Ubuntu (optional) donations page. I suspect that Tulatrix didn't like it either.

zombifier25
October 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I don't understand why having a donation page is bad though. It's optional, and the option to donate has always been there, Mark simply chose to make it more public (though I do agree the Amazon thingy is a little too much)

Before people continue to scream and rant about the demise of Ubuntu Tweak:
1. While I agree that Ubuntu Tweak is useful a lot of other tools can do exactly what is does (MyUnity, ccsm, BleachBit, ...)
2. It's open source, so anyone is welcomed to pick it up. Remember Pinta?
3. This sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

dniMretsaM
October 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
BeRoot is ranting about the Ubuntu (optional) donations page. I suspect that Tulatrix didn't like it either.

Ah. That would make sense. Seems like kind of a stupid reason to me, though (and an incorrect use of "free," but I'm not going to get into that argument now). Personally, I think it's well thought out and I really like it.

philinux
October 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I don't understand why having a donation page is bad though. It's optional, and the option to donate has always been there, Mark simply chose to make it more public (though I do agree the Amazon thingy is a little too much)

1. While I agree that Ubuntu Tweak is useful a lot of other tools can do exactly what is does (MyUnity, ccsm, BleachBit, ...)

Myunity has yet to be released for 12.10. /me waiting patiently.

cariboo
October 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Ubuntu Tweak and Myunity are just easier to use graphical interfaces for gconf-editor. Since Ubuntu/Gnome has changed to dconf, the creators of both programs have to re-write them, in order for them to be useful. You can still make the same changes using dconf-editor, which is available in the dconf-tools package in the repositories.

MadmanRB
October 21st, 2012, 12:04 AM

Well Myunity is okay but Ubuntu tweak has a lot of tools built in that myunity doesnt have such as an application refresh tool and acces to certain settings that would require half a dozen apps to be installed in order to dupicate it.
Ubuntu tweak is an all in one application and to lose it would cripple things greatly leaving us to have to download many different programs/apps or having to use the command line all the time and thats not good for the newcomers.

madinc
October 21st, 2012, 12:52 AM
Why use 10 apps if we can do all with 1 UT rules among all tweak apps

Tualatrix Chou, developer and maintainer of this awesome customization tool
has made some changes to cut down some features so that Ubuntu Tweak can be included in Ubuntu, however it seems they are not enough.
its a shame that Canonical dont include this app in the repos:mad:

vasa1
October 21st, 2012, 04:20 AM
Ubuntu Tweak and Myunity are just easier to use graphical interfaces for gconf-editor. Since Ubuntu/Gnome has changed to dconf, the creators of both programs have to re-write them, in order for them to be useful. You can still make the same changes using dconf-editor, which is available in the dconf-tools package in the repositories.
And, going by some older posts, it's even possible to do some gconf/dconf stuff such as changing themes via the CLI. Worth looking into.

vasa1
October 21st, 2012, 06:27 AM
...You can still make the same changes using dconf-editor, which is available in the dconf-tools package in the repositories.
Are there resources available to know more about how replace most, if not all of Ubuntu Tweak's functions with CLI?
For example, I found this:
Change Theme Using Command Line in GNOME (Linux)
(http://www.fandigital.com/2012/06/change-theme-command-line-gnome.html)

exploder
October 21st, 2012, 06:55 PM
I am waiting for the new version of MyUnity. I have MyUnity installed in Ubuntu 12.04 and it does a great job. Ubuntu Tweak was overkill for me and Ubuntu included MyUnity in the default repos, so I knew if was pretty stable to use.

Ubuntu Tweak is open source so maybe someone else will take on developing it or someone will come up with something new to replace it. I will just wait patiently wait for a new version of MyUnity for 12.10.

grey1beard
October 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM
If I dare stick my head above the parapet,:( having installed and used Tweak on two of the three systems in the house, and in the middle of trying to install it in the third, Terminal came to a brick wall.
Reading the announcement from the Dev, I see why if without understanding.
That aside, as an aged newbie, I wondered if it was possible to somehow copy my installation of Tweak from one laptop to another ?

Please throw brickbats, or tell me where to go, slowly if possible.
John

MG&TL
October 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM
If I dare stick my head above the parapet,:( having installed and used Tweak on two of the three systems in the house, and in the middle of trying to install it in the third, Terminal came to a brick wall.
Reading the announcement from the Dev, I see why if without understanding.
That aside, as an aged newbie, I wondered if it was possible to somehow copy my installation of Tweak from one laptop to another ?

Please throw brickbats, or tell me where to go, slowly if possible.
John

Here is the latest stable release deb (I believe): https://launchpad.net/~tualatrix/+archive/ppa/+files/ubuntu-tweak_0.8.1-1%7Equantal1_all.deb

Providing nothing goes awry (i.e. Unity changes drastically) in the meantime, you should just be able to download that and install, then you should be good to go. If you need more detail, I can give more. Just tell me where. :)

Nice avatar btw. ;)

PC_load_letter
October 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM
In less than a week apart, I learned that both "Ubuntu Tweak" and my favorite launcher "Synapse" will be no longer maintained. That's a shame. Many would argue that other tools can do a better job, but I found these two applications to be the best, they simply work! A real shame if they don't get picked up by new devs.

grey1beard
October 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks MG&TL, I#ll give it a go.
John
PS SWMBO thinks I've got her painting leaning over backwards, but I like it like that !

cariboo
October 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM
Seeing as you have Ubuntu Tweak installed on two other systems, you should be able to find the .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives on the systems you have it installed on. Copy the deb using your internal network, or sneakernet to the system it isn't installed on, then install gdebi. Navigate to where you copied the Ubuntu Tweak package to, and right click, and select use gdebi to install it.

grey1beard
October 21st, 2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks cariboo907.
One way or another I should get there.
John

PaulW2U
October 21st, 2012, 10:35 PM
And now it's back:-

http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/

Ubuntu Tweak will continue. :)

Giant Speck
October 21st, 2012, 11:29 PM
Well, that escalated and deescalated quickly.

sffvba[e0rt
October 21st, 2012, 11:58 PM
Much ado about nothing.

neu5eeCh
October 22nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
In less than a week apart, I learned that both "Ubuntu Tweak" and my favorite launcher "Synapse" will be no longer maintained. That's a shame. Many would argue that other tools can do a better job, but I found these two applications to be the best, they simply work! A real shame if they don't get picked up by new devs.

Ouch. Didn't know that about Synapse - also one of my favorites. Bummer. Good to know Tweak will survive though.

grey1beard
October 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Much ado about nothing.

As I have just past my 74th birthday, I feel qualified to be the Grumpy old git that speaks his mind.

I suggest, not found, that you read his blog several times, until you understand what he is saying, and then go out into the street and perform some act of kindness to a passing stranger.
Then you might begin to know what generosity feels like.

John

zombifier25
October 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Nice. Let's hope this incident will invite more developers to work on the software.

vasa1
October 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
I suggest ... that you read his blog several times, until you understand what he is saying ...
Should that be necessary?

mips
October 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
This guy obviously needs help, be it assistance with the coding, server bandwidth or monetary donations etc.

MadmanRB
October 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Are there resources available to know more about how replace most, if not all of Ubuntu Tweak's functions with CLI?
For example, I found this:
Change Theme Using Command Line in GNOME (Linux)
(http://www.fandigital.com/2012/06/change-theme-command-line-gnome.html)

Yes but really command line tools should be a thing of the past and is one of the reasons why people dont look at linux as a viable alternative to windows as they see us spit out terminal commands at them.
Sure the command line gurus will like this but not users who just want to get **** done like myself.

MG&TL
October 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Yes but really command line tools should be a thing of the past and is one of the reasons why people dont look at linux as a viable alternative to windows as they see us spit out terminal commands at them.
Sure the command line gurus will like this but not users who just want to get **** done like myself.

I see your point, but I personally quite like it the way it is. In my experience, command-line gurus seem to get **** done the fastest.

Also, why are command-line tools a thing of the past? They're more flexible and faster, the knowledge gap is the only problem with them.

jerrrys
October 30th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Ubuntu Tweak will continue (http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/2012/10/22/thank-you-ubuntu-tweak-will-continue.html)

Uncle Spellbinder
October 30th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Great news!

jerrrys
October 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I smell elf (y) magic

philinux
October 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I smell elf (y) magic

Not today.

Forgot to post > Merged. :P