PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04 to 12.10 upgrade results in Unity desktop w no menubar or launchbar

rtimai
October 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
HP dv6-3012he
AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor (64bit)
RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series]

The upgrade completed without incident, but restarting resulted in a Unity desktop with no side launchbar or top menubar. I used ctl-alt-del to restart in Gnome Classic mode which appeared to work flawlessly except that the mouse cursor disappeared whenever mousing over an icon. I noticed that Jockey (used to install proprietary video drivers for NVidia and AMD/ATI graphics systems) was removed, so I reinstalled it from Ubuntu Software Center -- but running it told me that the proprietary fglrx driver I had been using in Ubuntu 12.04 was either "not installed or not working properly." A search for "fglrx" in USC indicated that the driver was still installed. I reasoned that if the upgrade removed Jockey, a proprietary driver was not recommended for 12.10, and I removed the installed fglrx driver.

Restarting then resulted in the launcher sidebar and top menubar restored to the Unity desktop.

If you were previously using a proprietary fglrx driver for an AMD/ATI graphics system, check in the USC to see it's installed -- it may be advisable to remove it. Just one user's experience. HTH.

poison-br
October 19th, 2012, 02:24 PM
You Sir, saved my day! Thanks!

HP dv6-3012he

The upgrade completed without incident, but restarting resulted in a Unity desktop with no side launchbar or top menubar. I used ctl-alt-del to restart in Gnome Classic mode which appeared to work flawlessly except that the mouse cursor disappeared whenever mousing over an icon. I noticed that Jockey (used to install proprietary video drivers for NVidia and AMD/ATI graphics systems) was removed, so I reinstalled it from Ubuntu Software Center -- but running it told me that the proprietary fglrx driver I had been using in Ubuntu 12.04 was either "not installed or not working properly." A search for "fglrx" in USC indicated that the driver was still installed. I reasoned that if the upgrade removed Jockey, a proprietary driver was not recommended for 12.10, and I removed the installed fglrx driver.

Restarting then resulted in the launcher sidebar and top menubar restored to the Unity desktop.

If you were previously using a proprietary fglrx driver for an AMD/ATI graphics system, check in the USC to see it's installed -- it may be advisable to remove it. Just one user's experience. HTH.

jtravnick
October 19th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Worked great for me. Was worried that I would be spending my day off doing a backup and fresh install.

travischristal
October 19th, 2012, 08:45 PM
HP dv6-3012he

How do you use ctl-alt-del to restart in Gnome Classic mode? When I do ctl-alt-del, i can log out and go to the login screen. from the login screen, there is no option for classic mode, I can simply log back in, or restart. I'm a newb. Thanks!

rtimai
October 20th, 2012, 06:08 AM
How do you use ctl-alt-del to restart in Gnome Classic mode? When I do ctl-alt-del, i can log out and go to the login screen. from the login screen, there is no option for classic mode, I can simply log back in, or restart. I'm a newb. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, I work evenings.

The login (Upstart) screen should show a button in the upper right corner of the frame which drops down a session list. It's not all that obvious.

sakirasci
October 20th, 2012, 10:22 AM
HP dv6-3012he

You saved me from a big trouble, thanks dude :) I'll add some extra information to what you've explained: there is an easy way to remove AMD (fglrx) drivers, just open a terminal and apply these commands:

sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrxI applied these, and just like you said I saved my Ubuntu 12.10! Hope it helps to other people who got stuck with their 12.10 upgrades.

rtimai
October 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm so glad that my report helped at least a few users in the same situation.

I wonder if there are other users who are able to continue using the proprietary fglrx driver without problems (e.g., this issue may be component-specific.)

If AMD (formerly ATI) eventually releases an updated (proprietary) driver for quantal, I will probably try it. I say this because, although the proprietary fglrx driver didn't have any noticeable performance advantages, my dv6 notebook seemed to actually run COOLER with it.

Cheers.

sakirasci
October 20th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I don't know but I'm a little bit tired of dealing with proprietary drivers. Now I have a Toshiba Satellite A300 laptop with AMD graphics, and before this one I had a Toshiba Satellite L40 with Intel graphics. I had no problem with Intel, but with AMD there is always some problem. NVidia seems to be same, too.

I know that it's not Linux's problem, companies should provide the support but even Linus Torvalds is fed up, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19jUboon5gI :)

Anyway, on COOLER part, the situation is the same with me. With fglrx, my laptop works less hot. So, I'll also be waiting for an updated proprietary driver for Quantal from AMD.

rikietje
October 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hi, im currently having the sameproblem but can't figure out what u are doing.

(i'm new to ubuntu)

I have a Nvidia graphicscard and a intel HD graphics on board.

What should i do?

grahammechanical
October 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
@rikietje

I do not think that you have the same problem.

I have a Nvidia graphicscard and a intel HD graphics on board.

That is called Optimus technolgy, is it not?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

Nvidia has only just announced that it will work on a Linux driver for this. Your only hope so far is the Bumblebee project.

Regards.

rikietje
October 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM
@rikietje

I do not think that you have the same problem.

That is called Optimus technolgy, is it not?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee

Nvidia has only just announced that it will work on a Linux driver for this. Your only hope so far is the Bumblebee project.

Regards.

By the same problem i mean that i can't boot my linux aswell, I'm only getting a desktop screen after logging and that's it.

I'm able to open the terminal.

sakirasci
October 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
@rikietje, yes your problem is the same in terms of only getting a desktop screen, and I think that during the update Ubuntu doesn't remove the graphics drivers that were installed from 12.04 and they cause problems in Ubuntu 12.10. I and other AMD users solved this situation by removing proprietary drivers.

I found the command to uninstall NVidia proprietary drivers from Ubuntu. However, I'm warning, I don't have an NVidia graphics, so I don't know whether this command would solve your problem, you may end up with black screen after the restart. Keeping this warning in mind, you may apply this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
sudo reboot

bipco
October 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi

So are we saying that 12.10 can't use proprietary drivers on ATI or nVidia? I've got an ATI card and have had same blank desktop after installing fglrx (either from repository or downloaded from AMD site).

Am I missing something, if they don't work why are they in the repository at all?

Thought I'd try 12.10 as I've had a few boot issues with 12.04, but guess I'll go back, as otherwise 12.04 is very stable and works fine.

sakirasci
October 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I don't know whether it'd be okay to generalize but at least some AMD and nVidia proprietary drivers cannot be used with Ubuntu 12.10.

In Quantal, there is also changes regarding additional drivers. There is no more a separate application (Jockey) for installing drivers. It's integrated to Software Sources as a last tab. Furthermore, and interestingly, when I click on additional drivers I'm presented with no drivers to install.

It means that (for now) Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't give an option to install proprietary drivers for AMD (and maybe for nVidia).

P.S: If you remove proprietary driver and its remnants, you'd have no issues with upgrading/installing and using 12.10 with your AMD graphics.

labidus
October 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
After then update I no longer see unity bar and app launcher...

I tried uninstalling the amd driver without success..

But i finally found a way to make the ati driver to work with unity!

Here what i have done, when you see you are in the desktop but no icon or bar, right click to change desktop background

When the window appear, click all settings, now you see the system settings window.

Next, click on Software source, go in the additional drivers tab.

Select the 3 rd option, using video driver for the AMD... fglrx-upgrade

Apply changes, reboot.

Your system is now working with the ATI driver !

oldfred
October 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
+1 on labidus procedure, but I think you have to have kernel installed.

Fix for nVidia with 12.10 missing kernel dpkg reconfigure:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072862

Bug reports on missing kernel for use with proprietary driver.

Has most bug reports:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068341

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068456
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1068488
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068661

Has what worked for me, install headers & dpkg update.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068942

labidus
October 20th, 2012, 05:44 PM
+1 on labidus procedure, but I think you have to have kernel installed.

Fix for nVidia with 12.10 missing kernel dpkg reconfigure:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072862

Bug reports on missing kernel for use with proprietary driver.

Has most bug reports:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068341

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068456
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1068488
https://bugs.launchpad.net/fglrx/+bug/1068661

Has what worked for me, install headers & dpkg update.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates/+bug/1068942

I don't have nVidia card, i guess my procedure will only work for ATI card

cagilla
October 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I am having the same problem with the upgrade, no menubar or launchbar. I do not have any proprietary drivers installed, at least when I get to the All Settings -> Details, the driver is VESA: RS880, and there are no additional drivers listed in Settings -> Additional drivers.

Also, I do not see the way to get into Gnome Classic Mode... The only icons I have at the top of the login area is Accessibility, Keyboard Lang, Internet Connections, Sound, Time, Shutdown.

cagilla
October 21st, 2012, 01:48 AM
I am having the same problem with the upgrade, no menubar or launchbar. I do not have any proprietary drivers installed, at least when I get to the All Settings -> Details, the driver is VESA: RS880, and there are no additional drivers listed in Settings -> Additional drivers.

Also, I do not see the way to get into Gnome Classic Mode... The only icons I have at the top of the login area is Accessibility, Keyboard Lang, Internet Connections, Sound, Time, Shutdown.
My bad... after following sakirasci's commands, everything came back, it was indeed fglrx. Thanks everyone!

bipco
October 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks labidus - that worked for me too, though I had to install linux-headers-generic first, as per quoted links for fixing nVidia (though mines ATI).

Didn't realise at first that additional drivers had moved to Software Sources or that you could get to it that way when Unity isn't working.

I use the fglrx-updates (third one in the list).

wide-load
October 22nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
I'm having the same problem, when I upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10. No launcher and top bar. I tried going to Software Sources, Third Party Driver, but when I do nothing is there. I'm guessing I'm going to have to go to Command Prompt and do something to get the driver.

My Gigabyte MB has an integrated ATI 4200 HD Video Card.

Please advise.

Right now I'm wishing I never upgraded.

labidus
October 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
My system is new, with a new HD 7870,

One thing I have done is to manually remove the driver from command line, like some posted here, dont know if that was necessary but I have done it for sure...

To go in the console from the desktop, push f2 or f3, dont remember the key to popup the file explorer, once that search for executable gnome-terminal and double click on it...

robrobinette
October 22nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
You saved me from a big trouble, thanks dude :) I'll add some extra information to what you've explained: there is an easy way to remove AMD (fglrx) drivers, just open a terminal and apply these commands:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrxI applied these, and just like you said I saved my Ubuntu 12.10! Hope it helps to other people who got stuck with their 12.10 upgrades.

This worked for me, thanks for the help!

rtimai
October 23rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
I posted the first message in this thread about removing fglrx to restore the menubar and launchbar. Well. A couple of days later, the symptoms returned even with the proprietary fglrx driver for ATI/AMD removed. Even worse, Gnome Classic and Gnome (no effects) is now affected. There are no window trimmings, e.g., no buttons, no application menu, no cut-paste, no window resizing. Different applications are affected differently, so it's hard to describe everything that's missing. Some windows and panels cannot even be closed because there's no menu and no Close button.

Suffice it to say, Unity AND Gnome Classic are not useable for me now. I was able to install LXDE-core (I think it's the minimum installation for the LXDE desktop) and have been using it since. It doesn't have the level of convenient integration that Unity or Gnome has, but it's at least usable.

I think something happened to Metacity. Or is it Compiz? I'm not sure which does what, but it's the WINDOW MANAGER AND TRIMMINGS that appears to be broken on my system. Also, cut-paste doesn't work, so I can't save troubleshooting procedures for study. I've looked at possible fixes, but since I don't understand what happened, I'm not going to risk screwing up my Quantal installation worse than it already is. I looked at the System Log but don't know what to look for. Will post additional information here if I find anything that looks to be a clue.

I am wondering if a previous change I made to the system before upgrading to Quantal triggered an update that ended up breaking the desktop. Thank goodness for LXDE-core!

REQUEST

This is what my /etc/x11/xorg.conf file looks like:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

If you are using ATI/AMD graphics and your Unity desktop is now functioning correctly, could you let me know if this looks like your xorg.conf file? If not, please post the contents of your xorg.conf file, would you? It might give a clue about what's wrong with my Unity desktop. THANKS!

--rti

mode7
October 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
I would like to find out more info about this as well.
I have a Radeon HD 6970, and after a clean install, the fglrx driver caused the blank desktop issue. I can open a terminal with the keyboard, but there is no compiz, it seems.
I also built the latest driver from AMD, but that caused the same issue.. as well as lowering the resolution.

I have a lot of performance and fan issues with the open-source drivers, so I'm going to go back to Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.10. I may try the latest driver again after another clean install.

wide-load
October 23rd, 2012, 11:16 PM

You have become a hero to me. I tried running the code you suggested. The first one didn't do anything. But the second one did get my desktop back. The only problem I have is that I only have 2 screen resolutions available, neither of which are optimal. I'm going to pursue that issue. But the bottom line is you saved me from having to do a reinstall and recover all my files.

Thanks a million.

eaz2
October 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
after upgrade from 12.04 LTS: no launcher.
Nothing of the above worked for me (amd 2400 onboard) no fglrx driver installed.
A full re-install 12.10 fixed it for me. system is now back and fully functional, but it took a couple of hours.
regards

rtimai
October 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
eaz2,

Thanks for your post. It's encouraging for me to hear that a full install could yield a working Unity desktop without the proprietary ATI/AMD fglrx driver. I will try it later this week after I buy a second 32GB USB drive to back up my Documents folders first. Or maybe... I might try a different distro.

--rti

rtimai
October 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I think the article below provides a clue to why so many users with older graphics hardware are having problems with Quantal. I'm new to these issues too, so I won't attempt any technical comments.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE2Mjc

Anyway, it looks like this issue may not be resolved soon. The article reports that a Canonical official even goes as far as recommending Xfce or LXDE (alternate lightweight desktop environments) for those whose graphics systems don't meet the requirements of the current Unity.

Those with legacy graphics who are able to run Unity 3D without the proprietary fglrx driver will run hotter because the CPU will be handling the GPU load (according to the article.)

The good news (I guess) is you can simply install Gnome 3 or Xfce or LXDE on top of your current Quantal installation (provided you can start in a Gnome Classic session. This will give you additional desktop options that will work.

I installed LXDE-core the day before everything went south and ONLY LXDE was functional. If I hadn't done that, I'd be doing a new format/install.

Oh yeah, important! If you install additional desktop environments, the LightDM login manager may drop down a long sessions list that extends below the screen, putting the login box out of reach (at least on my screen.) Hitting Enter does not log in, you have to click in the password box with the mouse, but it's out of reach offscreen. Something's wrong with the design of LightDM.

Anyway, Ubuntu installs GDM, KDM, and LightDM as alternate login managers, and the article below describes how to use an alternate login manager. Both GDM and KDM are better behaved (I prefer GDM.)

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/how-to-switch-between-gdm-lightdm-or.html
HTH. Good luck to all. --rti

rtimai
October 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I apologize -- the suggestion of switching to Xfce or LXDE was the made by the article's author, not the Canonical official. --rti

matthewboh
October 25th, 2012, 11:00 PM

I couldn't get to the other session and ended up doing a control-alt-T to get to the terminal and then running the two commands. Worked a charm!

stankopp
October 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
You were lucky.

jskandhari
November 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Kudos , Coming back to forum after long, this might sound wired but it is a delight whenever error is encountered for it makes your intellect and terminal come up.... :)

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx

It the statement that does the job it seems !

:) Thanks