PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't enable KDE?

gandalf3
October 18th, 2012, 08:17 PM
i installed KDE by running

sudo apt-get install kde-window-manager

in the terminal, but it's not listed in the drop down menu in the login screen.. :confused:
how do i start it?

kc1di
October 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM
that because you need to install kubuntu if you want kde.

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
that will do it for you.

jerrrys
October 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I do not run kde, but looks to me you have to load the kde-plasma-desktop or perhaps just the plasma-desktop.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/kde-plasma-desktop

deadflowr
October 18th, 2012, 08:34 PM
i installed KDE by running

sudo apt-get install kde-window-manager

in the terminal, but it's not listed in the drop down menu in the login screen.. :confused:
how do i start it?

Yes, because KDE-window-manager aka kwin, is like compiz.
Follow the either of the previous post to get the desktop.
KDE is an environment, not a window manager. It consists of a whole host of packages and libraries.

gandalf3
October 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
thanks..
:oops:
how did i miss that! :P

i noticed that this changed the splash screen that appears after booting from grub (i don't mind this because it was just blank
pink/purple before, though i think it was supposed to have and Ubuntu logo on it.)
but now it has a Kubuntu logo, and since i'm just sort of giving KDE a trial run, (and now i know that splash screen can be changed)
is it possible to create a custom one? or at least get a working regular Ubuntu one?

also this changed the background colour in grub to a light grey that makes it hard to read the text with.. (though i never cared for the original pink anyway) is there a way to change the colour of that too?

Thanks in advance. :)