PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No side-by-side option on install?

tonyt3
October 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
In the past, when I've installed Ubuntu on a Windows machine, the "side by side" option was there; there's the choice of how big to make the partitions, etc. However, when I try to install 12.04.1, the option of " side by side with Windows" does not appear on the machine. ? it is showing the "live CD" performance just fine. This is on an older ThinkPad T400, 160 gig hd, 2 gigs men.
thanks very much
tony

Starcruiser322
October 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Did you try the manual partitioning method?
It's really simple, and allows you to easily shrink your windows partition. It is recommended that you make a logical partition in the free space and make a 2 GB (equal to your RAM) swap partition.

tonyt3
October 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Starcruiser -- thanks ; but when I tr;y to do this, each option says it will blow away the windows partition; there is a small partition (probably the rescue cd section) which is optional to change; but the large partition that has windows on it, -- when I click on that to use, there's the option to change its size does not appear. I have tried every option several times, and find no appropriate hoop to jump through. It just does not look like it used to, on the installation routine. bummer
tony

tonyt3
October 19th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Problem Solved! :-) I ran Gparted, thinking I would partition the drive before installing Ubuntu, and got an error message that I needed to run chkdsk /f to clear up a problem with the windows partition; so I did, and then the installation routine ran like clockwork.
the problem was much less obvious than I had expected.
So thanks for your suggestions.