PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot move Desktop icon to higher place on unity sidebar

newbie2
October 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hello,
Is there some 'limit' to the number of icons on the unity sidebar , because i have 26 icons on that left sidebar, and the 3 last/lowest icons(desktop/worksheetchanger/trashcan) cannot be moved to a higher place on that sidebar ... :confused:

shreepads
October 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Reduce the launcher width to fit in more or get Docky...

newbie2
October 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Reduce the launcher width to fit in more or get Docky...
tnx shreepads for your reply, but i already reduced the launcher, but the problem is 'somewhere else' i think ... because all icons on that unity launcher/sidebar are 'removable' from the launcher when i 'rightclick' on them ... except those 3 icons i mentioned above ... even if i reduce the total number of icons on that launcher ...:confused:

zombifier25
October 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Their location is fixed on the launcher, so you can't move them.

newbie2
October 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Their location is fixed on the launcher, so you can't move them.
If that is true , then why is that , because when i want to switch between desktop and a website/or worksheet , i always have to 'scroll' on the unity launcher to 'find' that desktop icon ... very annoying...:( ... and when i instead use the 'alternative'(ALT + TAB) , that's also annoying because i have to do that twice sometimes to get on my desktop ... :(

shreepads
October 18th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hmm yes, only option I think is to use Docky, if you need so many launchers that the ones at the bottom are getting 'folded down' so to speak...

Keep all your launchers on Docky because when an app is launched from Docky it will take up one slot on your Launcher... But as long as your not opening more than 10 apps at a time you should not face the problem you currently have...

newbie2
October 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I can see the devs are busy with this :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1067802
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/681348
http://askubuntu.com/questions/29969/is-there-a-unity-equivalent-of-the-gnome-panel-show-desktop-applet

grahammechanical
October 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I am using 12.10 and the workplace switcher icon can be moved in the Launcher. I do not have the show desktop icon. We use Alt-Tab and the little panel that appears has a show desktop icon.

The rubbish bin cannot be moved but I think that will change in the future.

Regards

newbie2
October 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I am using 12.10 and the workplace switcher icon can be moved in the Launcher. I do not have the show desktop icon. We use Alt-Tab and the little panel that appears has a show desktop icon.

The rubbish bin cannot be moved but I think that will change in the future.

Regards
Hello grahammechanical,
tnx for your reply ... i (as i think also the majority of 'common' ubuntu-users) stick with the 12.04. LTS version ... till ... ( 14.04 LTS ?) , because of obvious reasons(avoiding the upgrade 'hassle' ;) ) .

Also when i use Alt-Tab, i can see that little panel , and then i can choose the desktop icon there, but i have to do this TWICE to get on my desktop ... strange but true ...
Anyway... i shall have to wait for a 'fix' on those 'issues' ...
Regards