PDA

View Full Version : Build a tower, or buy and "destroy"?

tjlwu
October 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hello all:

I joined this forum to seek a little advice.

I've been running Ubuntu, first 11.10, and then 12.04 for almost a year now a love it. The OS works excellent on my Dell Inspiron Laptop (E1505) which would have been trashed in the garbage (as most Microsofters do when it had a virus and I could not find recovery disks) but Linux saved the day!

My other computer is a tower I build 10 years ago. I upgraded it some, ie. the Ram to 1 GB and replaced a bad motherboard, but the video card is 10 years old. Although Ubuntu runs fairly well on that system, therein is where my problem lies. The flash video does not work except on youtube and some of the Firefox browser loading is slow. Otherwise, the gains I achieved over Microsoft is great --- burns DVD's OK, I now have Libre for free, can keep up with my web site better etc.

However, I do believe the slowness is due to the age. As resource conservative that Linux is over Microsoft, I understand there are limits. This is a 10-year-old computer for gosh sakes and is still running Ubuntu 12.04! But I'd like to retire this and get a new tower.

Here is my question: The last time I built a computer was about 7 years ago. I could get a "bare-bones kit" tower in the $400 range, build it and install Ubuntu. That's the building part. However, I could also buy a tower for the same price or less, and simply destroy the Microsoft (the philosophy is that if they loaded Microsoft, then the hardware is working--- if I build something and it does not work, questions such as ESD damage or whatever would come to mind). The reason why the latter sounds appealing to me is that I guess I'm getting a tad lazy in my old age and it would be easier (for basically the same price) since I would not have to assemble anything. Which should I do?

What do you all think? If the former, I was thinking of going with a typical Asus motherboard and compatible components (maybe from TigerDirect or similar). If it's the latter, then what type of tower would work well? I don't want to get a "Walmart's special" just to have crappy hardware that fails in a year. Did anyone else here ever buy just the tower, destroy the Microsoft from it, and load Linux?

Thanks.

mips
October 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Sounds like you are from the USA. With the options available to you I would build a new rig. I don't believe there are much risk involved at all.

What's your budget?
What do you have that you would reuse, hard drives, monitors etc?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM
the other day i selected parts on newegg for a possible build (window shopping)
i had a system for under $270 (everything including the case)
i am sure the prices changed since yesterday, but if you want some ideas...
i always build or upgrade if it is a desktop

Mikeb85
October 17th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Build it. Some shops will let you select components and build it for you. Plus this way you can select everything you want, ensuring optimal compatibility. Or streamline things so you buy only what you need (for instance, I customized my laptop to have only Intel graphics, on Ivy Bridge they're actually very good, and way more power efficient than nVidia).

drmrgd
October 17th, 2012, 10:35 PM
I think it all depends on your time and what you want to do. Microsoft doesn't really care if you buy a Dell or buy parts and cobble something together yourself.

I personally think that building a computer is a lot of fun, I like having the control of every part that goes in to it, and I like knowing the system so well, that when something goes wrong, I can pin point it immediately (read: I don't have to call tech support to have them ask me if my computer is plugged in and turned on).

Parts prices are fairly cheap these days (I think pqwoerituytrueiwoq very adequately just proved that!), and you can get stuff from New Egg or where ever very quickly (my mother just bought a new Dell, and about 1 week later I ordered the parts for my new build; I got the parts and built it before her computer arrived!). In fact, I just ordered 16GB of some fairly high end RAM for my box (the 16GB I have now wasn't enough!), from New Egg for ~$90.00 and got it in two days. Can't really beat it.

So, if you have some time, and some ambition, I'd say build your own. Also, feel free to post here for some advice on part if you do go that route. There's quite a few people here that are very smart when it comes to that sort of thing.

otetiani
October 17th, 2012, 11:13 PM
It's a tougher question than it used to be, buy or build...

I just went through the same thing for my 6 year old tower. I always like the Asus MoBo, switched to Nvidia GPU for Ubuntu compatibility, but here was the problem for me:

If I upgrade I might as well go with the newest components I can (USB 3.0, Intel i5 or i7, as much RAM as I can fit, etc..)

Cost: well over $1500, closer to $2000.

So do I buy a desktop that is cheaper, but I don't know the parts in it (hard to find out what most components are)

Nope, bought an ASUS U31S instead for <$800, added 2 TB storage a BluRay drive and newer DVD burner to my tower and networked it as a file server.

I don't game much though, so it was an easier decision for me.

oldfred
October 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM
I prefer to build from scratch, but selecting components and budget make all the difference.

My concern with any of the prebuilt or even the bare-bones is that they tend to use low end components. Power supply will be just enough to run what the system is set up for, case will be a cheapie and other components will often be on the low end. But you have to decide what is important.

I like to look at Tom's and some other sites that build examples at price points and see what you can get. I end up mixing & matching but then have a better idea of what choices may make more of a difference.

CharlesA
October 18th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I prefer to build from scratch, but selecting components and budget make all the difference.

My concern with any of the prebuilt or even the bare-bones is that they tend to use low end components. Power supply will be just enough to run what the system is set up for, case will be a cheapie and other components will often be on the low end. But you have to decide what is important.

I like to look at Tom's and some other sites that build examples at price points and see what you can get. I end up mixing & matching but then have a better idea of what choices may make more of a difference.

This is exactly why I build my desktops from scratch. I've dealt with too many OEM boxes that just "don't work" because some hardware has failed or came loose and it is way too expensive to get a replacement. With a custom PC, I know what is going in it and what the warranty is going to be for each component.

Redzky
October 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I would say build, not only will it be a better machine, it will be better for personal knowledge and experience as well.

Grenage
October 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Selecting compatible components is easy, and to be honest, a monkey could assemble a modern PC. There few good reasons for buying a pre-assembled machine, for home enthusiasts.

NRP
October 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I would say build, not only will it be a better machine, it will be better for personal knowledge and experience as well.

+1 :guitar:

cyberhood
October 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
My other computer is a tower I build 10 years ago. I upgraded it some, ie. the Ram to 1 GB and replaced a bad motherboard, but the video card is 10 years old. Although Ubuntu runs fairly well on that system, therein is where my problem lies. The flash video does not work except on youtube and some of the Firefox browser loading is slow.
Why not try a lightweight Linux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution) distro?

mamamia88
October 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
have you ever played with legos? you can build a pc. go for it. only problem is that if a part comes doa

GreenTaurus
October 18th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Why not try a lightweight Linux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution) distro?

Xubuntu works wonders and you can find ram on ebay cheap enough these days...

I turned my old P4 2.8 ghz server into a P4 3.4ghz HT w/ 4gb PC3200 DDR memory -- just be mindful of what the computer supports and be patient waiting for deals.

I paid $16 for the processor and $14.90 for the ram - shipped.

whatthefunk
October 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Build. Assembly is simple and you dont have to pay Microsoft any money. Id rather burn money than give it to Microsoft for something that I wont even use.

1clue
October 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM
You can no longer count on building a box in order to save money. That's been true for about 10 years now AFAICT.

I build all my non-mobile hardware, but I do so to get exactly what I want. Do it online, you will definitely get it cheaper than going to the local computer parts supplier. Also, you can take your time and get information on what component works best with Linux.

If it's been 7 years you have some research to do before you take the plunge.

savantelite
October 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Building is half the fun. And you have a chance to put superior components in it. I went with a cooler master case last year. It had a section behind the motherboard to route all my wire. Makes getting into my box way easier for changing out components. If any of my parts go bad, I have the know how to change or upgrade them.

So build away, Screw the Microsoft tax!!!

1clue
October 18th, 2012, 07:00 PM
A side note to my earlier post.

Build your box with all new hardware.

I've built every PC compatible desktop box I've ever owned, this goes back to the 90's. I've taken supposedly good hardware and mixed it with new, I've even taken unused old hardware still in the box and used it along with new hardware. Every time I've eventually come to suspect problems from that fact.

Used hardware is subject to electrical spikes, overheating, all sorts of issues. Sometimes, for example a hard disk or CD drive, it's just worn out and on the edge of failure. The most frequent story you hear about this is somebody had a lightning strike and "just need to replace one or two components." The same thing, to a lesser extreme, happens when people drag their shoes across the carpet and hit it with static every day.

It's much better to start with everything from approximately the same time frame, and protect it with a good quality surge suppressor or battery backup.

CharlesA
October 18th, 2012, 08:24 PM
+1. I have, however, reused hardware on a few builds - my new server is running with the old RAID card and old RAID and OS drives, but everything else is new. ;)

That being said, each of the drives that make up the array have a few bad sectors on them, but the haven't increased in number dramatically yet. My situation may be a bit different from a regular desktop build, but it is still food for thought. :p

Artemis3
October 18th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Build yourself to cherry pick your parts. A good psu and case is often ignored in shops.

Incidentally i hate towers, it's getting hard but not impossible to get a case that lies flat on the desktop (ie, a "desktop" case). Thankfully the htpc craze has revived this form factor a little :).

CharlesA
October 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM
HTPC cases are pretty nice, but some are super cramped (and look nice).

Artemis3
October 18th, 2012, 11:12 PM
HTPC cases are pretty nice, but some are super cramped (and look nice).

Silverstone makes good stuff (full ATX):
http://www.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/silverstone_grandia_GD07B_GD08B_01.jpg
http://www.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/silverstone_grandia_GD07B_GD08B_04.jpg

1clue
October 19th, 2012, 12:31 AM
+1. I have, however, reused hardware on a few builds - my new server is running with the old RAID card and old RAID and OS drives, but everything else is new. ;)

That being said, each of the drives that make up the array have a few bad sectors on them, but the haven't increased in number dramatically yet. My situation may be a bit different from a regular desktop build, but it is still food for thought. :p

Well, yeah.

I've made exceptions too, including my main home box now. For one thing I have Linux boxes at home mainly for general use and entertainment/education, so once I have it it only gets about 50 or 60 installs a year.

As well, I had a premature drive failure on my box. I replaced it with my first-ever SSD and am currently running fine with it.

My earlier advice is mostly to not take a worn-out or damaged system and try to make a new system out of it. My box is still well above the curve for new hardware.

CharlesA
October 19th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Nice case. I picked up an nMediaPC case once but the thing was a gigantic monster. It was a full ATX case made of steel. Super pain in the butt to move around.

CharlesA
October 19th, 2012, 01:53 AM
monitor, keyboard, mouse, usually. Maybe hard drives and cd/dvd drives.

tjlwu
October 20th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks, all. I think I'm going to go this route:

The funny thing is, Cyberhood, I already knew there were lite distros of Linux, but for some reason that thought never entered my mind to use it here on my old computer. However, the more I think of it, the more I don't want to part with this computer because it's perfectly good, just a little old. It's the first one I build 10 years ago (and I built 2 since then). So, I have an attachment to it. It has only 40gB HD :lol: and I "upgraded" it to 1GB of RAM about 2-3 years ago from something like 250MB. It ran XP well, but I just "had it" with the Microsoft and all the viruses and reloading and etc and yada yada yada.

I'm 53 years old and I only use a computer for surfing, emails, upkeep of a simple web site, and office/simple game type functions. I like youtube and forums so it should be able to run a video, which it does not do the flash, now for other sites (but does work with youtube). But even with the XP, the videos were getting jumpy, not as bad as what is happening now. (But like I said, I gained a lot of other functions that mean more to me than the XP had).

I think the reason I posed the question is that I guess I have this psychological need to destroy the Microsoft off the disk --- you don't know how good it felt to wipe my computer clean of that XP. :lol: Historically, the computers I built were low-end hardware end from TigerDirect and I never had real issues with them, but like I stated, the idea of one pre-assembled, and then wiped clean was just a short-cut (I guess I'm getting lazier with my age).

But I always thought it was wrong to waste something that is good, so again, Cyberhood, I'm going with your advice and just load a lighter version of Linux on it.

Thanks all.

mips
October 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM
What are the hardware specs of that old machine?

Post the output of the following commands here,

cat /proc/cpuinfo

free

lspci -v | grep -i vga

eddier
October 21st, 2012, 12:53 AM
If you are not gaming on a windows machine and you are going 100% Linux then you dont need the latest hardware.

I allways get "last years" model so to speak,saves a ton of money that can be used to get a top notch monitor or Mega sized HDD or SSD.

eddie