PDA

View Full Version : The New Download/Contribution page

vasa1
October 17th, 2012, 02:41 AM
It's possible that Canonical may listen to suggestions from the "Community" on how people feel about that page. Here are a couple ...

Once the PayPal stuff is done, the download, via the browser, starts. No mention of torrents. Why?

There's no mention of whether the donor's name will appear on a list somewhere on or not? Why?

TheMTtakeover
October 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
If it doesn't ask for a name or say anything about posting a list of names, then I would assume your name isn't going to be listed.

Mikeb85
October 17th, 2012, 09:28 PM
It's possible that Canonical may listen to suggestions from the "Community" on how people feel about that page. Here are a couple ...

Once the PayPal stuff is done, the download, via the browser, starts. No mention of torrents. Why?

Most people do a strait download. If someone knows what a torrent is, they'll know how to find one.

There's no mention of whether the donor's name will appear on a list somewhere on or not? Why?

I guess names won't appear on a list... Contributing to a project/buying a product isn't quite a donation, even if it's optional.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Most people do a strait download. If someone knows what a torrent is, they'll know how to find one.

The Torrent download link is in the same place it has always been: under "Alternative options" at http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop. The page with the financial contribution stuff is in the same part of the process as what used to be the "now downloading from the best mirror" page.

I guess names won't appear on a list... Contributing to a project/buying a product isn't quite a donation, even if it's optional.
That's correct. This is a financial contribution, not a donation.

Mikeb85
October 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM

As an aside, even though Canonical is a 'for-profit' entity, I think contributing (through the purchase of products) to them is great, as Ubuntu is what you could call an 'enabling technology' that can help alot of people - whether it's students, small business owners, large corporations, people in emerging economies, etc...

I personally bought some more cloud storage from them today :)

vasa1
October 18th, 2012, 03:53 AM

Just how significant is the difference? What's the point here? I get a feeling there's nothing to prevent a list being maintained.

Since I'm repeatedly being told that it's community, community, community, will the sense of being part of the community be strengthened or weakened by maintaining a list?

KiwiNZ
October 18th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Just how significant is the difference? What's the point here? I get a feeling there's nothing to prevent a list being maintained.

Since I'm repeatedly being told that it's community, community, community, will the sense of being part of the community be strengthened or weakened by maintaining a list?

I can picture the multitudes of threads here and elsewhere if such a list were to be created and published.

vasa1
October 18th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I can picture the multitudes of threads here and elsewhere if such a list were to be created and published.
I have a comeback for that but it may make me even less "popular", if that is possible ;)

Anyway, I'm off to my bank now. PayPal does not like my debit card. I'll make enquiries about a credit card and the hidden terms and conditions that go with it.

Mikeb85
October 18th, 2012, 05:10 AM

Community? Sure there's a community around Ubuntu. But Ubuntu is developed by a private enterprise. The community benefits and helps, but the bulk of the effort is done by Canonical.

Fedora and openSUSE are closer to a community model than Ubuntu, and they've got much larger corporations behind them...

vasa1
October 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Community? Sure there's a community around Ubuntu. But Ubuntu is developed by a private enterprise. The community benefits and helps, but the bulk of the effort is done by Canonical.

Fedora and openSUSE are closer to a community model than Ubuntu, and they've got much larger corporations behind them...
What's your point? Can you answer my question?
... will the sense of being part of the community be strengthened or weakened by maintaining a list?

Yes? No?