PDA

View Full Version : Using Ubuntu to Unlock a mobile / cellular 'phone.

jackvaughn
October 16th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I've recently been looking for software which unlocks mobile / cell 'phones and found a couple of forum posts which had been closed by over enthusiastic moderators.

First of all, unlocking a mobile phone is not illegal in any country that I can find, and most mobile telecoms companies will give the unlock code, for a fee!

Secondly, this thread is Ubuntu related, as I am looking for software than will run on Ubuntu and is preferably Open Source.

So, if anyone knows of anyone who's written something that can unlock a mobile and will run on Ubuntu, please post a link here.

If you don't (and searches on the internet don't show much, so that is most people), then please just move on and don't feel compelled to try any be annoying, unless you have something useful to add.

Cheers all,

Jack

SL0ltMJGyh
October 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Why try unlocking your phone? there is software to hook up your phone to the computer (look for WACOM graphics tablet) but i don't think it matters too much just jailbreak it or port ubuntu to the phone :guitar:

jackvaughn
October 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look. Jailbreaking it might well be an option and there are several guides on how to do this on line.

I would have preferred a quick and simple option, since I'd like to be able to offer a quick(ish) and cheap service to my customers.

Software must exist to produce unlock codes from the phones imei number, as a number of companies offer this service (at fairly extortionate cost). Possibly an application that could be run from a command line on Ubuntu (?).

mamamia88
October 17th, 2012, 01:24 AM
you mean unlocking or rooting? for unlocking you can just buy a code for around $10 or suffer through customer service begging for a code. for rooting usually it can be done just with a terminal

Copper Bezel
October 17th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Yeah, jailbreak, root, and unlock are three very different things and don't relate to one another. Android is pre-jailbroken (well, it's a tick in Settings,) iPhone can't be rooted, and neither one helps you unlocking, which is converting a GSM phone over to a different carrier.