PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which Ubuntu distro will work best?

Androzani1
October 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hello, I'm new to these forums. I wish to ask you which Ubuntu variation will work best on my 11-12 year old computer. Specs as follows:

Sony VAIO PCV-RS222
Windows XP SP3 Home Premium 32 bit
AMD Athlon XP
512MB RAM

I want a version that has the basics (a version of word, powerpoint and excel) and is nice to use. Ubuntu and Xubuntu are my top 2, but I have only looked at those and Lubuntu.

My computer is running really slow, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Megaptera
October 16th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think Lubuntu should be OK on that: from here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu it says ...

"We have done many tests and we found out that Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such a system would not perform well enough for daily use.

With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system will be more usable.

With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.

The default "Desktop" installer requires 384-800 MB of RAM (depending on selected options.)"

You'll get LibreOffice which is compatible with Word, Power Point etc.

offgridguy
October 16th, 2012, 07:04 PM
With 512 mb almost any distro will work, albeit slowly if you are using programs with a lot of graphics
gaming, etc.

Libre office is a great program, I use it even on my windows 7 laptop.

ajgreeny
October 16th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I agree that Lubuntu is the one to go for.

It looks and acts like an older gnome (or even winXP) desktop, with a single panel, and you can use any of the packages from the ubuntu repos. It does not have libreoffice by default, but gives yu gnumeric and abiword, but I have added LO to my Lubuntu on a similar Acer laptop, and whilst not a very speedy runner, it is certainly very usable and a great OS.

Androzani1
October 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I shall be waiting until Christmas to see if I get a new PC, but if I don't then I shall certainly be considering installing Lubuntu.