PDA

View Full Version : Carta abierta a Mark / Open Letter to Mark

celtilander
October 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm very sorry, but it is a translation from google. Original at end..

Dear Mark, a few days ago I made a donation, it was the first time I paid for an operating system. And I did it with pleasure.
I am a beginner / medium user. I started in the world of computers in 1985 with Amiga, in 1995 I moved to Windows and in 2009 switched to Ubuntu. And I'm happy to have done ...
You can say I have not learned to use Linux from the console, and I do not care, nor do I have time for it. I understand the type who like nonstop, but not for me.
Still, I have to use Ubuntu 9 people around me, family and work. From my 8 year old son to my father of 73. All without exception, were afraid of an unknown system and difficult to use, for experts ... they said.
I bought in the store of ubuntu, clothes and other things that came broken and I could not claim, so that was the last purchase. I will not buy music from your application, I prefer using the p2p ... I'm sorry, but it is.
And after all this, you ask, why would I tell you all this?
Well, by that I mean that I would buy in a store, be it physical or virtual hardware components certified by ubuntu and that worked plug and play. With the guarantee of canonical about compatibility and ease of installation (no typing or strange things to people who only want to use programs and nothing else ... for my son or father of 73 years and me).
Something like the Apple stores ... Do not want to make money?
I'm willing to buy a printer all in one type of any brand or anything, but who dares to buy one and get one that works all without ever thinking about suicide?
I did not and 9 that got into this too, I know ... We are easygoing and do not want to bother learning, so what?
Canonical? needs money? Well think of putting shops to make life easier for users, I would pay extra for simple installation and compatibility guarantee.
Really, I suffer looking hardware is easy to install and compatible reviewing several lists and reading everything I can to make sure that the election will not fail me.
Best wishes.
P.D. Canonical recognize efforts by bringing linux to people like me ... I ask is because to get closer to paradise. What do you think?

Estimado Mark, hace pocos días realicé un donativo, ha sido la primera vez que pago por un sistema operativo. Y lo he hecho con placer.
Soy un principiante / medio usuario. Empecé en el mundo de los ordenadores en el 1985 con Amiga, en el 1995 me pasé a Windows y en 2009 cambié a Ubuntu. Y estoy feliz por haberlo hecho...
Se puede decir que no he aprendido a usar linux desde la consola, y no me importa, ni tengo tiempo para ello. Entiendo a los que les guste teclear sin parar, pero no es para mí.
Aun asi, he hecho que 9 personas usen Ubuntu a mi alrededor, en la familia y trabajo. Desde mi hijo de 8 años a mi padre de 73. Todos sin escepción, le tenian miedo a un sistema desconocido y DIFICIL de usar, para expertos... decian.
He comprado en la tienda de ubuntu, ropa y otras cosas, que llegarón rotas y me fué imposible reclamar, por lo que esa fué la última compra. No voy a comprar música desde su aplicación, prefiero usar los p2p... lo siento, pero así es.
Y despues de todo esto, se preguntará, ¿para que le cuento todo esto?
Bueno, con esto quiero decir que yo compraria en una tienda, sea fisica como virtual componentes hardware certificados por ubuntu y que funcionasen conectar y listo. Con la garantía de canonical acerca de su compatibilidad y sencillez de instalación (nada de teclear ni cosas raras para los que solo queremos usar programas y nada más... para mi hijo o padre de 73 años).
Algo así como las Apple stores... ¿no quieren ganar dinero?
Yo estoy dispuesto a comprarles una impresora tipo ALL in One de cualquier marca u otra cosa, ¿pero quien se atreve a comprar una y conseguir que le funcione todo sin llegar a pensar en el suicidio?
Yo no y los 9 que meti en esto tampoco, lo se... somos comodones y no queremos molestarnos en aprender, ¿y que?
¿Canonical necesita dinero? Pues piensen en poner tiendas para hacer la vida mas facil a los usuarios, yo pagaría un extra por instalaciones simples y garantía de compatibilidad.
Realmente, sufro buscando hardware que me sea facil de instalar y compatible, revisando varias listas y leyendo todo lo que puedo para asegurarme que no me fallará la elección.
Mis mejores deseos.
P.D. Reconozco los esfuerzos de canonical por acercar linux a gente como yo... lo que pido es ya para acercarnos al paraiso. Y tu que crees? :roll:

fontis
October 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Allow me to be the first one to say.

<snip>

And now back to your post, since I have a lot of friends with broken English, that Google translation was actually understandable for me.

So to comment the actual topic; It's hard man. Canonical does want to improve their hardware specific support and to a certain degree they do. I think you can check via the ubuntu website to find hardware which is supported ttm. But beyond that, it's not really their plate. And yes I know it sucks and it's such a cliche to always put the blame on someone else but that's the reality.

With regards to support of actual hardware, it's actually the kernel dev's that do the tremendously amazing work of making sure most things "just work". Now that being said, as a "historic user" I can assure you that the support for hardware today is AMAZING compared to what it was 10 years ago.
Now, most things work out of the box, back then it was a misssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssion to get even the most simple things to play nice. And really, I don't even worry about something not being Linux compatible anymore.. I know that whatever I throw at it, it will just work (which wasn't the case 10 years ago).

Hope that answers some of struggling points brah.
Love and respect

josephmills
October 16th, 2012, 04:58 PM
you can send a email to mark about this ?

mark@ubuntu.com

grahammechanical
October 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM
it was the first time I paid for an operating system

So, you were not paying licensing fees to Microsoft? Buy a computer with an operating system pre-installed and you are paying for a licence to use that operating system.

Buy or build a computer and then install an operating system and you will get hardware recognition problems unless you research to find out if the hardware is supported by Linux. This is why hardware makers pay Microsoft for the right to say that their hardware is Windows 8 ready or accredited.

Does your 73 year old father use a smart phone? Or is he afraid of an unknown system? Will he find it difficult to use? I do not own a smart phone. I do not use a mobile phone. If I wanted to use these things I would need to learn how to use them. This is true of everything about life.

I last used a Microsoft operating system five years ago. It was called Windows 98. If I was to buy a computer with Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it, then I would be using an unknown operating system and I would have to learn news ways of working. I would say that this applies even more so to Apple products.

I do not want to pay for an operating system that I would not use because I installed Ubuntu on the machine. For this reason I built the computer that I am using myself.

Regards.

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I last used a Microsoft operating system five years ago. It was called Windows 98.

You were using Windows 98 in 2007? Wow.

Elfy
October 17th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I was using win2k then - a little bit newer ... but still :)

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2012, 07:12 PM

At least that was NT based. :)

KiwiNZ
October 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM

I dunno all the technophobes we have on staff:p

Elfy
October 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I'll have you know that the paper and pencil I use are completely up to date and well secured.

:lol:

What I am after lately is a mobile phone with a dial ...

mr john
October 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I have a red phone with a dial hidden in a bust of Shakespeare, but don't tell anyone.

Elfy
October 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Ok.

Does it have a BRB (http://cde.weebly.com/big-red-button.html) as well?

nothingspecial
October 18th, 2012, 08:09 AM
You were using Windows 98 in 2007? Wow.

I dunno all the technophobes we have on staff:p

I didn't have a computer till 2007, still think they're stupid.

KiwiNZ
October 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I had my first computer in the early 80's

sffvba[e0rt
October 18th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I had my first computer in the early 80's

I had my first Atari in the early 80's... it had a big red button.

nothingspecial
October 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I did have a snoopy tennis.

Elfy
October 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I had a whim wham for grinding smoke

Artemis3
October 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I'm seeing admins and mods derailing a thread into oblivion~ Who we gonna call?

OP simply wants canonical to sell/certify hardware :3

sffvba[e0rt
October 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I'm seeing admins and mods derailing a thread into oblivion~ Who we gonna call?

OP simply wants canonical to sell/certify hardware :3

You are more then welcome to report the posts and/or create a thread in the Resolution Centre.

I am sure if the OP uses the proper channels his request will be heard and seriously considered by Canonical.