PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Script opening a Terminal window in GNOME 2 doesn't in MATE.

james_mcl
October 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I've installed MATE in Xubuntu Precise, and while it's a great GNOME 2-a-like, I have had a couple of minor issues with it - and I'm hoping someone here can help me with this one, as nobody on forums.mate-desktop.org was able to.

I've got a bash script which I've added to System - Preferences - Startup Applications to carry out various housekeeping tasks and print information to the screen on what it's doing. This is part of the code:

echo "About to delete formhistory.sqlite."
for y in `ls .mozilla/firefox/*.default/formhistory.sqlite`; do
rm $y
done

In Gnome 2, when I logged in, a terminal window would appear in which the various "echo" outputs would show. This window would eventually vanish when the script was finished.

In MATE, no such window appears. I've been checking on the deleted files and the script otherwise appears to be working, but since the script was supposed to use echo to output any error messages, it's impossible for me to tell for sure.

How can I get a terminal window to appear for echo's output? And can anyone tell me where it's currently being sent to?

Thanks,

James McLaughlin.

PowerBarry43
October 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM
try changing your script to this

#!/bin/bash
terminal

echo "About to delete formhistory.sqlite."
for y in `ls .mozilla/firefox/*.default/formhistory.sqlite`; do
rm $y
done
exithope this helps!

Barry

james_mcl
October 16th, 2012, 10:22 PM
A bit red-facedly, I was actually logging on to post another solution and then spotted yours above!

I removed

/home/(my username)/remove_flash_cookies_and_sqlites.sh

from Startup Applications, and then added

mate-terminal -e /home/(my username)/remove_flash_cookies_and_sqlites.sh

which achieved the desired effect.