PDA

View Full Version : Why gnome omited a Gnome Developer Suite ...

hantsy
March 18th, 2005, 10:49 AM
KDE has his own developer suite----kdevelop and other cool tool quanta plus(cvs ,imagemap,file diff&&patch etc)...
But gnome developer can not find such a powerful pack .In gnome environment , many tool can be integrated into one and work well together,eg:
Anjuta
glade designer
devhelp(why not integraded with gnome-help----yelp)
language binding for gtk(C++,python,java,perl)

We beg a IDE to develop gtk or gnome application, which is multi-langugae (c,c++,python,java,perl...)support and include automake tool.

salsafyren
March 18th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I agree. I cannot understand why the Gnome people don't put more resources into the Anjuta project. They don't make it easy for developers to start developing apps for Gnome. But, maybe that's the point ?

stoffe
March 19th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Much as I don't like Gnome vs KDE discussions, I do have to agree, since I come from KDE. Now, I do like both, but I really miss developers tools in Gnome, from the fact that there is no really good text editor (gedit is not it, compare to kate - I use SciTe for now) and up to Intergated Development Environments. There are good parts here and there, such as Glade, but there are also lots of parts missing.

I do realize that everything can't be there, and that people have differing priorities... and that vim and automake is what many do use too, but this is one of the few areas that really could use improving to increase productivity among the masses, and thereby getting more and better tools and programs. It should be a self-feeding loop at one point or the other. ;-)

El Guapo
March 19th, 2005, 02:35 AM
I would have to agree with you. Kdevelop is a very nice tool and Gnome does not have anything like it. Granted, I do most of my work with C# in MonoDevelop, but there is a void when it comes to a standard Gnome dev kit.

elwis
March 19th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I would have to agree with you. Kdevelop is a very nice tool and Gnome does not have anything like it. Granted, I do most of my work with C# in MonoDevelop, but there is a void when it comes to a standard Gnome dev kit.
I'm all in. I was a dedicated KDE man until a year ago. Something I really miss is a good editor (I really liked Kate) and a IDE. As everybody said before, all the small parts are there, Anjuta, Glade, GDB etc etc.
For now, its first do what I want in Glade and then open up Gvim. Works, but could be smoother