PDA

View Full Version : What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

kevdog
October 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Hey I'm just getting into playing the piano. Yes I'm a beginner but its really fun. I'm enjoying learning a bunch a different scales and putting them together.

I'm not so good at reading music, but I'm improving. I ran into this piece of music on the internet which wasn't overly hard for my level, however I can't figure out what the M and m mean. I guessing it has something to do with playing an octave higher or lower, or possibly with the pedal? I've looked around the internet, but can't find squat. I'd appreciate any insight someone may have here. Thanks.

wojox
October 16th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Major and minor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_and_minor)

kevdog
October 16th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Ok Major and Minor -- what's the point of putting them on the sheet? Like the chord notation of the Eb major and Fm on the top wouldn't suffice? I'm just asking.

wojox
October 16th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Sorry kev, didn't look at the picture. Been awhile since piano. Nightwishfan would have known.
Does that piece come in Guitar tablature :lolflag:

grahammechanical
October 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I would guess that sheet music like that is written for more than one instrument. So, it has useful information for more than one type of musician.

oldos2er
October 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I ran into this piece of music on the internet which wasn't overly hard for my level, however I can't figure out what the M and m mean.

I think M = mute, not sure what the lower case m is. Printed material should have the notations defined somewhere. As far as I know there's no standard definitions for these things.

drmrgd
October 16th, 2012, 08:25 PM
There are a few oddities with that piece of sheet music. Could this be written for more than one instrument somehow? I notice that in the bass cleff there are eight note rests above some of the notes. Note sure how you could be playing a note and resting at the same time, unless they're intending two instruments to be playing the bass cleff part.

Helkaluin
October 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I've never seen this before. It's definitely not a common 'classical' musical notation.

The major/minor meaning might be correct if you trace the same correlation throughout the piece—but that's a baffling thought, for why would one write 'M/m's whenever the harmony changes? Surely the notes themselves already tell you if it's a major or minor chord...

lisati
October 17th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I was a bit baffled when I first saw it, and offer a +1 to the idea of information being present for more than one musician.

kevdog
October 17th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I could post the entire pdf file, since these notations are scattered throughout the piece. I'm very confused as well. Thanks for everyone's insights. The people I asked around here where I live were not so clear either.

PowerBarry43
October 17th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hi

I can confirm that M and m definitely mean Major and minor but I don't think it's for more than one musician as this is a piano part which would normally be read by one person at a time. I believe it has to do with the chord changing from an open octave like in the first bar in the image where you have posted. a major chord requires the first note in the scale, the third and normally the fifth so Eb M is Eb G and Bb, if all you have is 2 Ebs an octave apart than the chord is neither major or minor until you add a G making it major or a Gb making it minor so when notes that define the chord are added the M or m is written.

Hope that helps/makes sense!

Barry

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hi

I can confirm that M and m definitely mean Major and minor but I don't think it's for more than one musician as this is a piano part which would normally be read by one person at a time. I believe it has to do with the chord changing from an open octave like in the first bar in the image where you have posted. a major chord requires the first note in the scale, the third and normally the fifth so Eb M is Eb G and Bb, if all you have is 2 Ebs an octave apart than the chord is neither major or minor until you add a G making it major or a Gb making it minor so when notes that define the chord are added the M or m is written.

Hope that helps/makes sense!

Barry
It makes sense, but why wouldn't they just represent the major or minor chords with the notes? The only thing I can think is that the M and m with the base note might make it easier for a guitar player.