PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu got its own site!

lao_V
March 18th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I've just come accross the site for Kubuntu. (http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/) Looks pretty good.
But could this mean a split for Ubuntu?
Shouldn't then Ubuntu be called Gubuntu??
This is really going to split the Ubuntu base?
Why split the distro based on the DM?
Is that a good thing?
So many questions!!!!

Slapdash
March 18th, 2005, 10:37 AM
yeah, I'm also worried about this.
Why not have Ubuntu and a choice of Gnome or KDE on installation?

Yukonjack
March 18th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I would not worry, Ubuntu with Gnome the best it can be & Kubuntu with KDE the best it can be makes good sense to me.
Why always think of the worse loa v?

Knome_fan
March 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I've just come accross the site for Kubuntu. (http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/) Looks pretty good.
But could this mean a split for Ubuntu?
Shouldn't then Ubuntu be called Gubuntu??
This is really going to split the Ubuntu base?
Why split the distro based on the DM?
Is that a good thing?
So many questions!!!!

No need to worry. If you actually read the site you'll see that the address your worries.

Is this a fork of Ubuntu?
No, it is part of Ubuntu. All our packages are in the same archives.

And the distro isn't split and yes, having Kubuntu is a good thing as it improves ubuntu and adds to it without taking anything away from it. Now if that ain't great, what is?

Seriously, why people allways try to construe problems when there are none is beyond me.

dusu
March 18th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I also think it's cool to have the possibility to run kde and ubuntu.
This will (I hope) attract many gnome-allergic users, and turn them into ubuntu-fans :D
It also seems not so reasonable to have gnome + kde on one single installation CD...
One should anyway be able to choose before installing ubuntu which desktop one wishes to favor, gnome or kde, and so choose ubuntu or kubuntu

lao_V
March 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
One should anyway be able to choose before installing ubuntu which desktop one wishes to favor, gnome or kde, and so choose ubuntu or kubuntu

Yes, one should always be able to chose. Why not integrate this choice in the installation process where you can select which desktop you would like to install like the other distro's?? That would seem very logical to me. A newbie would not then have to worry about making that choice before the installation.

What next XFCEBuntu? ICEBuntu? Or even a sepearate distro for Xfree86/Xorg??

dusu
March 18th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Yes, one should always be able to chose. Why not integrate this choice in the installation process where you can select which desktop you would like to install like the other distro's?? That would seem very logical to me. A newbie would not then have to worry about making that choice before the installation.

Mmm I see the point... :-k

But :
- I'd rather have only one install CD and not many, and then apt-get what I need.
I'm not sure you could put both KDE and Gnome on a single CD (???)
- Both Gnome and KDE come with their own display managers, which make them "natural" choices for a distro that is supposed to "just work", even for newbies (as I'm one myself).
It's no big deal to launch xfce4 from gdm (what I do), but wouldn't it be strange to launch KDE from gdm or Gnome from kdm ?

lao_V
March 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Mmm I see the point... :-k

But :
- I'd rather have only one install CD and not many, and then apt-get what I need.
I'm not sure you could put both KDE and Gnome on a single CD (???)

- Both Gnome and KDE come with their own display managers, which make them "natural" choices for a distro that is supposed to "just work", even for newbies (as I'm one myself).
It's no big deal to launch xfce4 from gdm (what I do), but wouldn't it be strange to launch KDE from gdm or Gnome from kdm ?

I don't understand the fascination with having only 1 CD. You could have the main installation CD for Ubuntu which could come with GNOME and have KDE on CD 2.

Also, DVD players/discs have become dirt cheap now so it won't be long before CD's are history (just like floppies). A number of other distro's have already started creating install DVD's!!

I don't think it would be stange to launch KDE from GDM. In fact I would be doing exactly that at the moment since GDM is much more attractive and skinnable then KDM at the moment .

TravisNewman
March 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
No need to worry about splitting anything. Even if they did fork, the Ubuntu team would just be waht it was before the Kubuntu devs came along.

lao_V
March 18th, 2005, 01:46 PM
No need to worry about splitting anything. Even if they did fork, the Ubuntu team would just be waht it was before the Kubuntu devs came along.

I am not worried about the resources being split. As I understand, Kubuntu has got its own devs and resources.

My primary concern is the idea of having Kubuntu as a seperate distro when infact its not. Kubuntu doesn't offer anything different compared to Ubuntu which could have easily been integrated in Ubuntu

somuchfortheafter
March 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
flubuntu is what im waiting on

TravisNewman
March 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
True. And by the way, far as I know, it HAS been integrated into Ubuntu, just not the Ubuntu CD.

I absolutely adore the once CD thing though. That was one thing that got me to start using Ubuntu to begin with.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 09:08 AM
True. And by the way, far as I know, it HAS been integrated into Ubuntu, just not the Ubuntu CD.

But I think it will be on the DVD though!

TjaBBe
March 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM

I believe a newbe would be better off making the choice before the instalation then being presented with that question at the time of the instalation, not knowing what the difference between the two is, and not able to find out, because he is currently busy reinstalling his pc.

I think seperating the two is a good thing, seeing Ubuntu as a Desktop-distribution, presenting you with a standard set of apps without too much questions.