PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you think Ubuntu will run on a Windows 8 PC?

DMGrier
October 15th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Now I am sure that Ubuntu would run just fine but what I am really asking is the ones where the screen detaches from the laptop would Ubuntu switch to a touch screen mode you think?

grahammechanical
October 15th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Microsoft's advertising propaganda might call it a Windows 8 PC but it is really a PC with Windows 8 installed.

It all depends on the hardware. And not on the existing operating system.

You will face the same issues that are faced right now by anyone wanting to install Ubuntu on any computer device with a Microsoft operating system pre-installed.

My advice is

a) Go to a company supplying that type of computer with Linux (preferably Ubuntu) pre-installed. Then it will work as described in the product description.

b) Wait until Ubuntu PCs of various kinds are being sold by the millions.

Regards.

DMGrier
October 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
My next computer is looking like a system76 computer but I was looking at the PC's where the screen detaches and becomes a tablet thinking about how cool it would be to have a laptop but then turn it into a tablet.

In the end I will most likely get a system76 laptop even though they do not offer this feature but I like the idea of going with a company that specializes in Ubuntu PC's and from I keep reading they seem like good quality.

I guess it was more of a curiosity.

robtygart
October 15th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I think a better question would be, will Ubuntu support the drivers to make the thouch screen work?

DMGrier
October 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I do not know his name but one of the guys off the Linux Action Show for I believe it was the 12.04 review one of the guys installed Ubuntu on a Lenovo with touch screen and said the screen keyboard for Ubuntu worked flawless.