PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Libre Office newbie

George Heine
October 15th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Currently working on a project where need to use Libre Office writer (client wants the report in MS Office format). Using Libre Office 3.3.4 on Ubuntu 11.04. Two questions:

1) Discovered by accident that clicking on a cross-reference tab will take you to the object (table or figure) being cross referenced. Is there a keyboard shortcut or mouse click that will return me to the location of the cross reference? For example, suppose there is a reference on Page 5 of the text to a diagram on Page 15. I click to look at the diagram. What is an easy way get back to Page 5?

2) Whenever the cursor lands on a table, a very distracting "table menu" GUI pops up. How can this behavior be disabled?

Thanks for your help.

kailashk
October 15th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hi,

For LibreOffice, I believe it'd be best to use their forums.
Here's a keyboard shortcut guide to LibreOffice Writer
http://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Shortcut_Keys_for_Writer

K.

bart.a
October 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Hi George..

I have i little experience with libreOffice.

1. when you want to go back to a pagenumber you can use the navigator. On the bottom left of your screen you can see your on page 33/104. Double klik (LMB) that and the navigator should pop-up. Top center of the navigator shows your current page again. Type in the page you want and hit enter.

2. the tabel menu pops-up but you can attach it to the menu bar. It will still be available when you enter a table but it won't be center screen. In my version it's above the page number indicator. I think there is a way to turn it off, but I find it kind of handy to keep around.

Let me know if this solved your problems..

George Heine
October 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Bart A.

Upgraded over the weekend to Ubuntu 12.04 with LibreOffice 3.5.4.2.
The navigator menu comes up exactly as you described, and allows you
to type in a page number as you described. It also seems to have links
to tables, graphics, references and other items. Will have to play with
its capabilities --- and also how to turn it off, since it now seems to be
displayed whenever I open lowriter.

In 3.5.4.2, it looks like the table menu is parked on the menu bar by default. (Maybe that
was the default in 3.4 also, and I somehow accidentally unparked it.)

Marking this thread as solved.

bart.a
October 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Glad I could be of service with my bit of experience..

Please visit the forum after you've "played" with the tools and used te software for a while and see if you can help out other users..

If we all help a little, everybody can enjoy the pleasures of this great system and it's applications..