PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Tracking usb Usage on other computers

buckyaustin
October 15th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I had a usb storage device taken from me recently, luckily enough this device was recoverd just now, is there anyway possible that I can check the name or get any details of the computer it was last used on.

I'm having a despute with a friend and would like to know this as soon as possible to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance.

The device is an 8gb usb 2, fat32, created on kubuntu 12.04, I currently run 10.04,12.04,12.10 ubuntu/kubuntu. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chadk5utc
October 15th, 2012, 03:39 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/18/lg-trackble-usb-flash-drive-phones-home-when-lost-or-stolen/

Ms. Daisy
October 16th, 2012, 12:46 AM
If the user reformatted the flash drive or added files to it, that could give you some information about the operating system & maybe programs he used. But beyond that I don't know how to retrieve that kind of information without having some kind of tracker installed before they took it.

buckyaustin
October 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
After researching this myself I have found that there is no way to do this without having the software installed first. Thank you both for answering so quickly and acurately. This thread will be marked as solved.