PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new install / possible graphics issues

Dwarvenking
October 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hi all, hope some one can help!

Ive just moved my old hp pavillion that i run my cnc mill with over to ubuntu having been convinced emc is a better way to go):P
However im having issues lol I burnt the boot disc, installed it ok (no other operating systems full reformat!) and the first time i booted up everything was fine. Switched it off and later decided to have a play. Everything goes ok until the desktop appears and satys blank? (tool bar and icons gone etc) It still responds to commands and having seen another post with the same problem i tried alt and f4 then unity-reset and compiz-replace but get a message back saying the location doesnt exist.
I also get a weird grid pattern on the desktop sometimes like the graphics are struggling but i had no problem first time round and windows never had any graphics issues.

Can anyone suggest anything?
the hard drive while small (about to be replace) still has 2 gig free and ive made no system changes and tried re installing!
Almost forgot to mention its Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" LTS that comes pre bundled with linuxcnc

Thanks for your time
Harry

Dwarvenking
October 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Just a quick update, i booted up right clicked and created some new empty folder, restarted and the folders were still there so its not graphics (i think anyway!!) If it is of any relation i opened linuxcnc config using alt f4 and saved a demo set up but when i try to launch linuxcnc its self i get a linux cnc error page the last line of which is loading real time os, RTAPI and HAL_LIB modules.

May be 2 completely unrelated issues though!

Thanks again

NikTh
October 15th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS still supported , but is an old version (2 years almost) and will EOL in a few months.

Can you try the newest LTS version Ubuntu 12.04 ?

Download it from here : http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ . Goto Desktop CD section and download the appropriate architecture (32bit or 64bit).

If you managed to install the Ubuntu 10.04 , you will figure it out on how to install 12.04 (same way :p)

Thanks

homecomputer@on.aibn.com
October 15th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I had this happen once. I did ..... ctrl alt f1 to get to the terminal. Then I did ..... ctrl alt f7 to get back to the desktop. .... and all was there .... was video driver glitch.
I then in 10.04 I used the additional hardware to get the ati driver.

Dwarvenking
October 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hi all, unfortunately i cant update as the sole purpose of the install is to run emc and its specifically bundled with that version and a warning not to upgrade for proper operation. were do i find an ati driver? im electronics based but not operating systems:p

Thanks
harry

squakie
October 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
If you search the linuxcnc website, it makes it sound like it only works with your release. If you go to the source code git you'll notice a reference to a change to the makefile so it works with 12.04. So, you might be better off going that way. I had never heard of linuxcnc prior to this, but I'd be willing to genea-pig the source code installation and make on my 12.04 system to be able to give you information on what you need to do. That would probably take me a day or 2 if you can wait that long.

The instructions for 11.x and 12.04 can be found here:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Build_A_Simulator_Manually

squakie
October 17th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Let me know if you want me to guinea pig that in 12.04 so I can help you to install it 12.04 and have a current install running emc.