PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Good way to identify component of Ubuntu for bug report?

LABcqX
October 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM
When trying to report a bug, is there a website or method to try to identify what component the bug belongs to?

Like, say the display brightness is not working properly. How would I go about isolating what package of ubuntu I should report this bug to? I don't know a lot about computers and even less about Linux.

to report a bug, it seems I need to know the application/service or package to make a report. What if you don't know it, is there a good way to research it on your own and learn what it is?

Thanks

Frogs Hair
October 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
The Synaptic Package Manager from the software center is a good tool for identifying, installing, and removing packages. When searching brightness and lock the result is the Gnome control center and by right clicking and selecting properties or dependencies more information is listed.

The package on my system is named Smartdimmer and it changes brightness for LCD monitors with Nvidia Gforce graphics cards and would be installed if I were using a laptop.