PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Programming Windows Application in Lubuntu

Joon Lee
October 14th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I know how to create a program that records the names of the windows a user uses on Windows 7. However, I want to program it on Lubuntu, my current OS, without setting up Dev-C or the likes on a Windows XP virtual machine.
I have Code::blocks installed on Lubuntu - is there a way to compile and export an .exe of the program?
(I'm a decent programmer, yet I know next-to-nothing about libraries, dependencies, and the like, which is why I am asking how to create a windows executable through Code::blocks on Linux)

trent.josephsen
October 14th, 2012, 04:47 AM
The term you want to search for is "cross compiling".

Joon Lee
October 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks. Is that an option in the Code::Blocks menu (couldn't find it under compiler and debugger options and everywhre else I looked)?

KdotJ
October 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Entering these magic words into Google:

code::blocks cross compiling

... yields the top result of this (http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Code::Blocks_and_Cross_Compilers).

I believe it's what you're after.

Good luck!

Joon Lee
October 14th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Oh wow, why didn't I just Google it before...
Thank you very much for the help!

ofnuts
October 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Oh wow, why didn't I just Google it before...
Thank you very much for the help!
You'll also have to search for "cross-debugging" because how are you going to debug this on Linux alone?

KdotJ
October 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Makes you wonder if it's just easier to set up Windows in a vm

Joon Lee
October 24th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have XP on a Virtual Machine, except I'm only on a gig of RAM, with only 256 to spare the VM.

dazman19
October 24th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Yeh VM is the best idea.

You can cross compile, but depending on how large and how many librarys your app uses, it will probably be better to at least test it on a windows machine.

I have had different results on XP/win7 etc for the same app, even using MS frameworks.

Joon Lee
November 18th, 2012, 06:42 PM
After playing around with settings, I got cross-compiling to work!