PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Desktop

TimB48
October 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have just upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04.1, following the upgrade I can log on but following that no top or side tool bars are visible.
I did a clean install (with Format) but the result was the same. I can right click on the desktop and look at settings, I can also shell out to a terminal.
Other posts I have read suggest this may be a graphics driver issue ( card is Nvidia 9600GT). Tried updating the driver but with negative result.
There are 3 other operating systems on this PC all of which function fine. My previous incarnation of Ubuntu also ran without apparent problems.
Can anyone shed anly light on this problem.
12.04 runs ok directly from live cd.

Bashing-om
October 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
TimB48; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

Maybe a graphics card situation, maybe just that the GUI is not loading.
what results from the terminal command:

sudo service lightdm startwarm regards <==BDQ

TimB48
October 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Result for running 'sudo service lightdm start' was the following.

Start: Job is already running: lightdm

Forgot to mention in my original post that the top and side bars appear briefly during startup and dissappear leaving me with just the desktop background with no visible icons.

Regards,

TimB48

Bashing-om
October 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM
looking like to me the desktop manager might have problems, But lets see if it is graphics driver related:

When booting hold the shift key after the bios screen clears -> grub menu
choose to boot with the "recovery mode" kernel//

do you now have a desk top ?

regards <==BDQ

TimB48
October 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Initial attempt to enter recovery mode failed apparently linked to the nvidia graphics. The following lines were the last few before the recovery boot stopped.

[4.985757] nvidia:module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel
[4.985804] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
[5.300064] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level,low)-> IRQ 16
[5.300127] vggarb: device changed decodes: PCI : 000:01:00.0, old decodes = io+mem, decodes = none:owns = io+mem
[5.300371] NVRM : loading NVIDIA UNIX X86 kernel module 295.49 Mon Apr 30 23:30:07 PDT 2012

As a ubuntu novice the above lines mean very little to me but suggest that there is some sort of problem with the graphics.

A second attempt to enter recovery mode got me to the recovery menu but I was able to do very little from there.

There is a newer Nvidia driver available (not the 295.47 listed above) which I have downloaded but am unable to install it.

Regards,

TimB48

PowerBarry43
October 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
This may be a silly suggestion but have you tried running

startx
you could also try reinstalling unity by running

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

hope this helps!

Barry

TimB48
October 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Running 'startx' only produced the following messages.
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again

ddxSigGiveUp: closing log
X10: fatal 10 error 11 (resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
after 7 requests (7 known processed) with 0 events remaining

Removing Ubuntu desktop and installing it had no apparent effect.

Any further ideas anyone?

Regards,

TimB48

jerrrys
October 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Could it be nomodeset?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2056136

TimB48
October 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I have successfully reinstalled 12.04 using the 'nomodeset' option mentioned in your link.
The desktop appears normal now but the mouse function is peculiar in that the pointer dissapears when you move it over an icon. I have not updated the nvidia driver because I am not able to access the alternative drivers icon, clicking on it has no effect.
I tried updating the nvidia driver from terminal but all that did was trash the install so it wouldnt run at all resulting in another re-install.
So apparently curing one problem creates another. The original problem is obviously caused by the nvidia drivers but I havew not as yet achieved a full result.

Anymore suggestions anyone?

Regards,

TimB48

jerrrys
October 18th, 2012, 08:18 PM
You say that you have reinstalled, have you updated?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

TimB48
October 20th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I have reinstalled and everything appeared to be ok apart from the problems mentioned in my last reply.
I then updated and ended up back to square one with no desktop bars or icons. Unfortunately I did not observe which updates were applied, update just said there were 135 to install. I presume at least one of them was graphics related and I presume there is a log somewhere of what was updated.
When I was able to access the additional drivers there was a beta driver from nvidia which I tried activating but nothing useful happened.
Is there any further information I could provide which would assist anyone in finding a workeable solution to this problem.
It is very frustrating because all previous incarnations of ubuntu have worked 'straight out of the box' as it were but 12.04 seems to be a whole different ball game.

Regards,

TimB48

TimB48
October 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Still looking for an answer for this problem, looks like my posts have not been viewed for several days.
Anyone out there who can help?

TimB48

phoenix90005
March 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM
for the code : STARTX
gave me the following :
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server error

still can't return my desktop as it was; what i have is the wallpaper aznd thank GOD that managed to firefox via TERMINAL to look up for some solutions. anyone?

steeldriver
March 26th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Does the desktop work if you log in as guest (or create another user and login as that)? This would help understand whether it is a basic graphics config problem, or just something in the session of your current user.

If it's only a problem with the current user account, then resetting unity may help :-

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-to-reset-unity-launcher-icons-or.html

Bashing-om
March 26th, 2013, 08:51 PM
+1

awaiting results