PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Case insensitivity in a for loop using a variable

jamesisin
October 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I am working to update one of my scripts:

Recursive Prepending Script (http://jamesisin.com/a_high-tech_blech/index.php/2011/04/recursive-prepending-script/)

I was using a fixed file extension and that was pretty easy to deal with in terms of accounting for variable cases (by using [Ff] &c within the loop).

However, I'm trying to allow the user to select the file extension. This is the relevant section with my latest (failed) attempt:

# set case insensitivity
shopt -s nocasematch

# change file names in sub folder

for filepath in "/$discpath/$disc/"*.$fileextension; do
filename=$( basename "$filepath" )
mv "$discpath/$disc/$filename" "$discpath/$disc.$filename"
echo $filename changed
done

# unset case insensitivity
shopt -u nocasematch

If the case doesn't match (between the user-supplied $fileextension and the for-generated $filename) it throws an error about not finding the file.

I think one of the things causing difficulty is I'm dealing with two case insensitivities: one in the variable and one in the file names. I don't want the script to care whether the user-submitted file extension is caps or not and I don't want the script to care whether the files it's looking at are in any particular case either.

Suggestions?

jamesisin
October 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Here is the error which it throws:

mv: cannot stat `/home/[username]/Music/Raw Fiddle [mp3] [320]/01/*.MP3': No such file or directory
*.MP3 changed
mv: cannot stat `/home/[username]/Music/Raw Fiddle [mp3] [320]/02/*.MP3': No such file or directory
*.MP3 changed

So, it's not finding the files which tells me shopt isn't effecting the for loop.

(I used capital MP3 because I know the files have mp3.)

jamesisin
October 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks anyway. I switched from nocasematch to nocaseglob and it works now. You'll be able to find the new script through my blog at the link in the original post.