PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recovering my admin password

sani786
October 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hy guys,

I m forgot my admin password on ubuntu please tell me any way to recover my password .

waiting for your swift reply.

sani.

darkod
October 13th, 2012, 07:39 PM
What do you mean by "admin" password? There is no such user in ubuntu.

The first user created during the installation has admin rights. So, did you forgot your password?

To reset a user password in ubuntu:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

sani786
October 14th, 2012, 05:51 AM
What do you mean by "admin" password? There is no such user in ubuntu.

The first user created during the installation has admin rights. So, did you forgot your password?

To reset a user password in ubuntu:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Thanks buddy for replying but one thing is confusing me when i use all process in the below link is it disturb my save application i.e oracle ,my documents and more like that .
i will try and then tell you the results.

sani

darkod
October 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM
No, it just creates new password for the user. All applications and data are still there untouched.

sani786
October 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks buddy for replying but one thing is confusing me when i use all process in the below link is it disturb my save application i.e oracle ,my documents and more like that .
i will try and then tell you the results.

sani

HY Buddy ,

I try your given link but when i reach at recovery menue (2nd snap ) in give link it required root password what is the way to recover root password.

sani

darkod
October 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
HY Buddy ,

I try your given link but when i reach at recovery menue (2nd snap ) in give link it required root password what is the way to recover root password.

sani

No, it doesn't ask for any password. When does it ask you for root password? You simply select Drop to root shell from the recovery menu, and the shell opens (command line).

After that you continue with the instructions.

Mark Phelps
October 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
You can not "recover" a password, period. What you can do is "reset" a password, as in, assign a new one. There is no software available that will let you "recover" passwords.

sani786
October 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
You can not "recover" a password, period. What you can do is "reset" a password, as in, assign a new one. There is no software available that will let you "recover" passwords.

Thanks for guide but can you tell me the way of resetting password.

sani786
October 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
No, it doesn't ask for any password. When does it ask you for root password? You simply select Drop to root shell from the recovery menu, and the shell opens (command line).

After that you continue with the instructions.

thanks buddy,
but it require password at command line.

i also share some snapshot for your information.

sani

sani786
December 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM
thanks buddy,
but it require password at command line.

i also share some snapshot for your information.

sani

Hi frndz,

here is picture i highlight where it requires for root pass..

sani786
December 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hi frndz,

here is picture i highlight where it requires for root pass..

sani

darkod
December 7th, 2012, 07:59 PM
It doesn't require the root password. It is asking you to enter the new password for the user susan (twice). And you can clearly see the message where it says password updated. That means the new password for susan now it the password you entered.

Now, if susan was the first user created on the system, it should have sudo permissions. So you should be able to use the susan user and the new password, for sudo commands.

On the other hand, if the only user that has sudo permissions is carol, then you need to use that user for running sudo commands.

After changing the password for susan, does it allow you to login with it or not?

spnkybnky
January 12th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I just simply went to a terminal window and typed "passwd" and followed the instructions ......

Simple as that

Ubuntu 12.10lts