PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] authentication without password

cmondz
October 13th, 2012, 07:52 AM
hi,
everytime i want to download a software or just add new programs , the unbuntu software center ask to authenticate with password, the thing is that i just got this lap top and dont have the password ...how do i fix this?

hydn79
October 13th, 2012, 07:54 AM
You don't have the root password? You need to get/find it. Because the other option is to run as root user (not recommended) in which case you'll still need the root password.

zombifier25
October 13th, 2012, 07:56 AM
hi,
everytime i want to download a software or just add new programs , the unbuntu software center ask to authenticate with password, the thing is that i just got this lap top and dont have the password ...how do i fix this?

Did you install Ubuntu on the laptop or someone else did? If the latter, contact the installer for the password.
If the former, then if you don't have a password you'll need to reset it.

lisati
October 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Use the same password that you'd use to log in to the laptop.

cmondz
October 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM
dont have the root password...the thing is that wanna switch to windows 7....but if i can fix this then i keep ubuntu.

cmondz
October 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM
how do i reset it... i did run the root option and remount the password...is that what you talking about?

lisati
October 13th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Do you use a password when you first turn the computer on? If so, you won't need a "root" password, just use the same password that you use when you turn your computer on.

cmondz
October 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
no, i did not...no password when start my laptop.

hydn79
October 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Want to switch to Windows 7? Ok, there you go all your problems solved. jk

Try this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password

cmondz
October 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
so you mean no way to bypass this situation and keep ubuntu running on my laptop...?

westie457
October 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
This is probably what you need. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

This is one of many very useful tutorials on this site.

cmondz
October 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM
i did tried this and changed my password with success, but when i go back in ubuntu and click on ubuntu spftware center to install a program, it aasks for authentication again and again, even after i enter my new password, does not work! Am very frustrated right now...been on it for over 4 hrs. what next??

westie457
October 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I,m thinking that even though you can log in your user ID is not part of sudo which could be the problem. Therefore suggest you follow the advice in this link http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/quickly-add-users-to-groups-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

Warning You might have to run this from the recovery environment to allow you to temporarily by-pass the the default security on the system. Be careful what you do here because it is possible to wipe the whole system if you start playing around.