PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LightDM and Ethernet connectivity issues

stripes8545
October 13th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 onto a blank hard drive, and am using it as my only OS. The first problem I have is that I cannot connect to the internet via ethernet connection. I plug it in, and the network icon will flash a bit, and then tell me I'm disconnected. I'm running on an Acer Aspire 5552 Laptop. I do believe I have an AMD processor.

The second issue is that lightdm fails on boot. This problem began earlier today, in my usual morning boot. I'm using gdm right now so I can use the computer, but I'd prefer to use lightdm, if at all possible.

Also note that I'm fairly a newbie with Ubuntu, so I"m not sure how to retrieve or post logs, so if this is needed, I'll need to know how to do that. As for hardware information, I can easily get any additional info if needed. Any other information that is needed to help resolve the issue, just ask, and I'll do my best to provide it.

efflandt
October 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
If you want to post any logs or other formatted info to retain its formatting, and so it does not take up so much space in a post if someone does not want to read all of it, copy and paste it into the Message window of a post or reply, then highlight that text and click # in message window to wrap it with code tags. That will limit its visual size (with scrollbars) and retain formatting (proper spacing or columns make data easier to follow).

But I cannot help with your issues because everything works fine (including Unity and WiFi) booting 64-bit Ubuntu from SD card on my Acer W500P tablet PC (if a little slow on AMD 1 GHz 2 core cpu w/ATI HD graphics). Likewise for Lubuntu, except sound did not work in that until I added pulse audio. Both have no problem with lightdm.

There should be enough Acer laptop users that someone else could help.

stripes8545
October 14th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Do you think that it would be a driver issue? Like I said, I'm pretty sure the computer is reading that there's a cable plugged in, but just not connecting.

Paulgirardin
October 15th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Try booting the Live CD or USB you installed Ubuntu with and seeing if that allows you to connect via ethernet

stripes8545
October 15th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Try booting the Live CD or USB you installed Ubuntu with and seeing if that allows you to connect via ethernet

I did that and no connection. Same thing happened on the live disc as in the actual OS.