PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot issue

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 12:31 AM
So I installed rEFFit, partitioned my Macbook Pro drive into two partitions, and loaded the install disk for 12.04.01. It had me chop the partition into three, a swap, boot, and something else for the installation to copy files to. I did, it installed, and had me restart...

and the drive wont show up to boot from the menu that pops up to switch drives when you old option down.

So, how do I get the partition to show up?

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Nevermind... all of a sudden rEFFit started working! Ok, now it is giving me a black screen with a cursor that never goes away. The drives all spin up, but nothing happens. What do I do?

Bashing-om
October 13th, 2012, 03:02 AM
jediknight36; Hi !

Try this and advise results:
As soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the shift key -> grub menu
in the grub menu arrow down to an entry with recovery mode, press enter.

I hope you boot into ubuntu with only limited graphical abilities, if so; will advise on procedure to install graphics driver.

regards <==BDQ

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 03:07 AM
jediknight36; Hi !

Try this and advise results:
As soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the shift key -> grub menu
in the grub menu arrow down to an entry with recovery mode, press enter.

I hope you boot into ubuntu with only limited graphical abilities, if so; will advise on procedure to install graphics driver.

regards <==BDQ

Except for the screen above, I dont get any BIOS screen. Also re: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767677

The partitions are synced.

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Hello?

Bashing-om
October 13th, 2012, 04:10 AM
looking at your referenced link,and can not advise,
I have no experience with the macs, however, as you have a "black screen" with a cursor;
can you log into your system install with typing your username then enter your password (password will generate no response, security reasons) ?

hth <==BDQ

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM
looking at your referenced link,and can not advise,
I have no experience with the macs, however, as you have a "black screen" with a cursor;
can you log into your system install with typing your username then enter your password (password will generate no response, security reasons) ?

hth <==BDQ

No, the keyboard isnt responding. the only thing I can do is shut down with the power button and restart.

Bashing-om
October 13th, 2012, 04:47 AM
sorry, this is now over my experience.
Hope others can assit you.

regrets <==BDQ

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 04:54 AM
IS there anything I can do here to get more attention?

jediknight36
October 13th, 2012, 08:12 AM
IS there anything I can do here to get more attention?

Never mind. I wiped the partitions and reinstalled. Now if I can only figure out how to install Sunbird...