PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

tonhou
July 1st, 2006, 06:40 AM
Dansguardian does an outstanding job of web content filtering to protect from rubbish on the internet. This howto is a synthesis of information taken from:
http://www.pilpi.net/journal/item-985.php

** Edit ** 25th November 2009 Please see final pages of this thread (Pages 13-14) for adaptions/updates to this howto for Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) and in particular issues with Karmic version of Dansguardian. Also a deb that is available to automate much of this.

Setting up Dansguardian using Tinyproxy and Firehol on Ubuntu/Edubuntu

1. Ensure "universe repository" is activated and install packages:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dansguardian tinyproxy firehol

Note: will probably need to reinstall dansguardian to overcome clamav config errors.

2. Edit: sudo gedit /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf

a) Add comment (#) to:
#UNCONFIGURED

b) Turn off virus checking (if not wanted):
virusscan=off

c) Check that the following are set:
filterport = 8080
proxyip = 127.0.0.1
proxyport = 3128

d) Save & exit.

e) Run:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure dansguardian

3. Edit: sudo gedit /etc/firehol/firehol.conf

Add all of the following at the start of the document:

iptables -t filter -I OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 3128 -m owner ! --uid-owner dansguardian -j DROP

transparent_squid 8080 "root root"

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
#server webcache accept

Note: will need to remove "interface any world . . ." further on in the document.
Note: uncomment "server webcache accept" if this dansguardian system is going to filter others on a network BUT do not then connect directly to the internet as this is opening it wide open for anyone to access!

4. Edit: sudo gedit /etc/default/firehol

START_FIREHOL=YES

This is to allow restarting of the firewall.

5. Edit sudo gedit /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy.conf

Change/add the following lines (by scrolling through the document):
User root
Group root
Port 3128
ViaProxyName "tinyproxy"

6. Restart each program:

sudo /etc/init.d/tinyproxy restart
sudo /etc/init.d/firehol restart
sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian restart

7. Dansguardian should now be operational blocking objectional sites using any browser! :grin:

** EDITED INFORMATION ** I have edited this to include the use of these instructions for not only a single desktop but also for other systems (including Windows boxes) to point to such a configured box on a network and be filtered. This requires the addition of the last line in firehol.conf as above "server webcache accept".

The other systems must have their proxy settings set in the browser to point to the ip address of the dansguardian system and port 8080.

In Firefox:
Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Connection Settings -> Manual proxy configuration

Check manual proxy configuration and add “your DG box ip address” in first box and “8080” in second
Then tick “Use this proxy server for all protocols”

These settings can be locked, instructions are available below to do this:

Modify the file sudo gedit /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.cfg (sudo gedit /usr/share/doc/firefox-3.5/firefox.cfg) - for Firefox 3.5

by adding the following:

lockPref("network.proxy.http", "127.0.0.1");
lockPref("network.proxy.http_port", 8080);
lockPref("network.proxy.type", 1);
lockPref("network.proxy.no_proxies_on", "localhost, 127.0.0.1");

PLEASE NOTE: The dansguardian system that is doing the filtering on your network using this configuration CANNOT be connected directly to the internet - very important!!

shanepardue
July 5th, 2006, 05:18 AM
wow!! thanks for that howto!! i've been looking everywhere for that kinda thing!! you don't even need to configure the browser with the proxy or anything?

andytof47
July 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
just one problem when i follow this guide my browser can't connect but things like gaim and my email programme can connect??? anyone able to help m,e?

Athanasius
July 19th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I am having the same problem, it seems to block everything

tonhou
July 20th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Sorry that it is not working for you guys! I'm afraid I don't really know what the issues are. It has worked for me on around 6 systems that I have set up. I have also done other enhancements - added lines to dansguardian configuration to block undesirable image searches and also locked firefox browser settings to stop use of secure proxy sites.

Could you check that each of the three programs are running. In a terminal:

ps auxf

Also you may like to look at this post where there is a similar approach with some different configuration:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1222237&postcount=21

--Tony

Athanasius
July 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I am sorry, it is actually working VERY well and now I just have to tinker with the filters.
Thenk you for the HowTo, I have been looking for someting like this for months!

tonhou
July 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Glad that it is working!

Here are some changes that I have made to filters etc. for searching images and also for stopping access to secure proxy sites.

1. Modify the file /etc/dansguardian/bannedregexpurllist

by uncommenting (remove #) so that it looks as it is below:

#Block unfiltered options on various search engines
(^|[\?+=&/])(.*\.google\..*/.*\?.*safe=off)([\?+=&/]|$)
(^|[\?+=&/])(.*\.alltheweb.com/customize\?.*copt_offensive=off)([\?+=&/]|$)

#Block images on altavista, alltheweb, yahoo etc - as they are anonomised
(yahoo.com\/image\/)
(yimg.com\/image\/)
(altavista.com\/image\/)
(altavista.com\/video\/)

AND/OR modify the file /etc/dansguardian/bannedphraselist

by adding the following:

#-----
# Google
< safesearch is off >,< about google >,< Advanced&nbsp;Image&nbsp;Search>
# Yahoo
< safesearch is off >, < images >
# Dogpile, Excite, Webcrawler
< likely to contain adult content >,< results with adult content >
# AlltheWeb
<offensive content filter is off>,<results with offensive content>
#-----

These stop adult/offensive images if safe search is turned off for an image search engine.

2. Change firefox preferences to stop use of secure proxy sites to gain access to blocked sites:

For Firefox:

Modify the file sudo gedit /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.cfg

by adding the following:

This will lock the proxy settings in firefox preferences if it is considered necessary to block access to secure proxy sites such as :
https://proxify.com
(these provide an unfiltered gateway out!)

Please note that the firefox.cfg file is overwritten each time there is a firefox update!!
--Tony

tonhou
July 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Another simple to setup filtering option if you use Firefox is to use the extension blockxxx. Unfortunately it has not been available for Firefox 1.5 but here is an updated version:

http://cvs.linex.org/blockxxx-0.4.1-fx.xpi

To install go to File -> Open File (and point to where blockxxx is downloaded to).
It seems to do a reasonable job with the default lists, but needs extra blocking URL's to stop/tighten search engine changing of preferences. I have also imported a larger list of blockable words.

--Tony

tonhou
August 17th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I recommend the script that automatically installs dansguardian (with firehol & tinyproxy - as above) along with a smart graphical front end to change filters that has been put together by Jereme found here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=237355

--Tony

cspaz
August 25th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I recommend the script that automatically installs dansguardian (with firehol & tinyproxy - as above) along with a smart graphical front end to change filters that has been put together by Jereme found here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=237355

--Tony

Can you get just the gui frond end? I've followed the above howto and have dansguardian working properly, but a gui tool for configuration would be nice.

tonhou
August 28th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately not (without hacking into the scripts which probably isn't what you want to do!). The only option is to use synaptic and opt to "completely remove" dansguardian, firehol, and tinyproxy then restart and start fresh with the script to do a new install.

--Tony

LRC
September 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I am admitting that I am not using Ubuntu, but I am desperate. This posting is about the only one I have found regarding this topic. I am using a 2.6.17.11-shl-up-1 Kanotix kernel KDE 3.5.4 GUI. I am conected through a hub to a M$ box which is connected to a printer. I can get firehol working fine on its own, but as soon as I try to get tinyproxy and dansguardian running, all I get is DansGuardian: Error connecting to parent proxy. I read somewhere that you could run dpkg-reconfigure and it could do some of the work for you and I get chown: `dansguardian.dansguardian': invalid user. I figure it has to do with firehol, but I have no idea where I am going wrong, and the firehol site just tells you to read the readme file, which is fine if you know what you are doing and doing an advance setup, but all I want is for the internet connection, dansguardian, tinyproxy cups and samba to work. Is it at all possible to give me some aid? This is a grep of my firehol setup:
version 5
iptables -t filter -I OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 3128 -m owner ! --uid-owner dansguardian -j DROP
transparent_squid 8080 "proxy root"
interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
#From here on is what I needed to get firehol to work without tinyproxy and dansguardian. I hope this helps with solving what I need. I do understand that this section cannot remain the same.
interface eth0 lan src "192.168.7.0/24" dst 192.168.7.151
policy drop
server ICMP accept
server cups accept
server dns accept
server microsoft_ds accept
server ntp accept
server samba accept
server ssh accept
client all accept
interface eth0 internet src not "${UNROUTABLE_IPS} 192.168.7.0/24" dst 192.168.7.151
policy drop
protection strong
server ICMP accept
server cups accept
server dns accept
server microsoft_ds accept
server ntp accept
server samba accept
server ssh accept
client all accept

tonhou
September 23rd, 2006, 03:39 AM
OK I have updated the first post with instructions on how to use with other networked systems.

--Tony

jhigz
October 26th, 2006, 06:19 AM
tonhou,

Nice howto, thank you!

You may wish to point out for those unfamiliar with the inner workings of Firefox, myself included, that the firefox.cfg file mentioned is an encoded file which Firefox can use to implement systems wide configuration variables. This file must be encoded, however, for Firefox to use it.

For additional information, see:

http://togami.com/%7Ewarren/guides/mozlockdown/
http://archives.seul.org/seul/edu/Jan-2003/msg00049.html
http://alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/locked.html

Thanks again.

tonhou
October 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the kind comments.

When I first began looking at locking the prefs I read up about such things but found the Ubuntu Firefox cfg is not encoded - by default it has an entry to disallow upgrading, presumably so it can only happen through the official repositories - but no it is not encoded, at least not in Dapper.

--Tony

scottmuz
October 28th, 2006, 04:33 PM
This worked perfectly for me. Thanks a lot.

I was amazed to see it works for automagically
all browsers.

hartunnoo
November 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Is this setup suitable for a webserver? If this fine, then I can go for it. :) Any body have tried it on webserver?

tonhou
November 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Is this setup suitable for a webserver? If this fine, then I can go for it. Any body have tried it on webserver?

Sorry, we would need to know a bit more clearly what you mean. Can you clarify what you want to do.

--Tony

hartunnoo
November 4th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Sorry! I'm just having breakfast.
Actually I just installed Ubuntu Server 6.06LTS into CPU1. My CPU1 acting like a router.

ISP->ADSL_modem->CPU1_NIC_eth0->CPU1_NIC_eth1->Switch_Hub->Workstations

As you can see, the above line, I have two NIC cards connected to my CPU1. So is your configuration is suitable for this type of connection?

Thank you.

tonhou
November 5th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I think there are a few complications there if you mean installing on your cpu1.
You can have one of your workstations do the filtering and other systems point to it as explained in the first post above, but this requires that it always be on so that other systems can access it.

There are probably more efficient ways to have a filtering system on a server using something like ClarkConnect (http://www.clarkconnect.com) which will run dansguardian and offer other firewall features.

--Tony

hartunnoo
November 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thank you for reply.

I have gone through the site given and it is good.

Thanks pal

Nopposan
December 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I tried the automagical script that also installs the GUI. I much appreciate this effort, but I wasn't entirely pleased with the results on Xubuntu 6.10. It seems to have messed up some symbolic links and I don't really know what all it did; anyway, after I ran it I couldn't play streaming audio or my audio cd's. This isn't a complaint though; the script wasn't written with Xfce in mind and there was a clear warning that the system could be messed up by the script. So, I'm going to go with the manual install you've posted here and, if necessary and practical for me, write a simple gui to administrate Dansguardian -- without using gambas.

Anyone have any special suggestions for Xubuntu 6.10 users on this? (I know one other person posted that the auto install script worked great with Xubuntu, but I think he was using Dapper or there was some other difference between his set-up and mine.) Also, I'd rather that the gui lack religious references. I don't mean to offend; I definitely think Ubuntu CE deserves credit for their focus on this and I've thanked them in another thread. I'm just not entirely comfortable advertising Ubuntu Christian Edition to those who may not be interested in using it.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and thanks for the How-to, nanomad.

Greevous
December 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hey I've got an issue; internet connection is down a few minutes after Dansguardian was working, so I tried to restart it (/etc/init.d/dansguardian restart) and it gave me this:

Restarting DansGuardian: Error reading file:
Error reading file:
Error opening bannedextensionlist
Error opening filter list:/etc/dansguardian/dansguardianf1.conf
Error reading filter group conf files(s).
Error parsing the dansguardian.conf file or other DansGuardian configuration files

I've checked and the bannedextensionlist is there, along with dansguardianf1.conf. I don't see what the problem is...

tonhou
December 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Might need some more background info. . .
Did you do the install as per the first post here?
Have you made any other modifications?
Is it still the same after a complete restart?

--Tony

azwxman
December 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Tony,

I'm interested in installing dansguardian and appreciate the how-to. My one question (for now) is in reference to the final NOTE in your how-to: PLEASE NOTE: The dansguardian system that is doing the filtering on your network using this configuration CANNOT be connected directly to the internet - very important!!

I'm running my ubuntu client as a firewall/proxy for my little home network and I just want to be clear about what you're saying. Can you be a little more specific as to the definition of "directly connected" and why this is "very important"?

Thanks

Greevous
December 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Might need some more background info. . .
Did you do the install as per the first post here?
Have you made any other modifications?
Is it still the same after a complete restart?

Yes, I installed based on the first post. I assume there are corrections or other variations after that, but it seemed to work at first so I didn't bother reading futher.
I haven't made any modifications besides simple values in the dansguardian.conf file, such as 1, 2, 3, etc. or on | off.
I decided to remove dansguardian, tinyproxy, and firehol for now and try again later. I don't believe I restarted completely before removing it though.

tonhou
December 25th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I'm interested in installing dansguardian and appreciate the how-to. My one question (for now) is in reference to the final NOTE in your how-to: PLEASE NOTE: The dansguardian system that is doing the filtering on your network using this configuration CANNOT be connected directly to the internet - very important!!

You really need a separate router or dedicated box with firewall connecting to the internet. The filtering can be done by the Ubuntu configuration with DG, firehol and tinyproxy as above. If you were to connect this system to the internet then you would be wide open to the internet because of the firehol (firewall) setting which is allowing other systems to access it (the command "server webcache accept".)

It is probably not a very tidy way to do filtering for a home network really and as mentioned to another poster above if you want one system as a gateway/server you are better to go to something like Clarkconnect.

--Tony

azwxman
December 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM
OK. I do have a router between my system and the modem. And as for the "tidy-ness" factor...as it sits, this machine is my firewall/gateway/proxy already. Plus, my network is composed of only two systems, this one included.

Thanks for the help on this.

isaiah55
December 29th, 2006, 11:44 PM
What a great how to. Thank you very much.
It works a treat on my Linux box, but (there always seems to be a but...) if I setup the proxy information for the browsers on the other machines on my network, it doesn't work.

Let me try and explain that again ;)
If I browse from my Ubuntu box the content filtering works a charm.
However if I setup the proxy in the browsers of my other networked machines and point them to the Ubuntu box all web browsing comes to a halt for the networked machines...

Any ideas what could be the cause?

isaiah55
December 30th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I have isolated the problem - I think. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it :oops:
Basically if I switch off the Firehol dansguardian works via the proxies from the other computers on my network.

It is probably easy to fix but being a noob with this stuff I don't even know where to start.

Thanks in advance for helping me out

tonhou
December 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Firstly I am assuming you have done this:

Your other systems on the network must have their proxy settings set in the browser to point to the ip address of the dansguardian system and port 8080.

In Firefox 1.5:
Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Connection Settings -> Manual proxy configuration

In Firefox 2.0
Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced - Network Tab -> Settings -> Manual proxy configuration

Check manual proxy configuration and add “your DG box ip address” in first box and “8080” in second
Then tick “Use this proxy server for all protocols”

Secondly can you check that you have the entry in /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
that reads: server webcache accept

--Tony

isaiah55
January 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM
Yes you are right I have done this. The only way I can get them to work is if I switch off firehol on my Ubuntu box, otherwise I get page cannot be found all the time. As soon as I switch off the firehol the content filtering works a treat from all my machines...

So currently I am running Dansguardian successfully but I have to have firehol off to be able to use Dansguardian from my other machines.

I hope that all makes sense

tonhou
January 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
And you did check that you have the entry in /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
that reads: server webcache accept ?

--Tony

isaiah55
January 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for your help, but yes my firehol.conf file does have that entry.
Here is my whole firehol.conf file:

# $Id: client-all.conf,v 1.2 2002/12/31 15:44:34 ktsaou Exp $
#
# This configuration file will allow all requests originating from the
# local machine to be send through all network interfaces.
#
# No requests are allowed to come from the network. The host will be
# completely stealthed! It will not respond to anything, and it will
# not be pingable, although it will be able to originate anything
# (even pings to other hosts).
#

version 5
transparent_squid 8082 "root root"

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
server webcache accept

I have had to use the 8082 port instead of 8080 as my web server runs on that port.

Thanks again for your help

tonhou
January 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
I have had to use the 8082 port instead of 8080 as my web server runs on that port.

I think your issues will be to do with this. Sorry, I don't have time to work it through at the moment.

--Tony

isaiah55
January 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks - I'll have a look into it. I'll post anything I find :)
BTW - Probably won't get a chance to look at it now for a week or so...

pmdubuc
January 11th, 2007, 03:23 AM
The "User's not Filtered" configuraton doesn't seem to be working for me. I put my user name in there and it's still blocking me. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? (I'm assuming that by 'user name' it means login id name.)

Thanks,
PMD

tonhou
January 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
You are not doing anything wrong.

Unfortunately this is an issue that requires further tuning for it to work. It requires user authentication for the proxy server (tinyproxy). I am not sure if/how tinyproxy allows this. So there is a question mark over whether this can be done with this DG/Firehol/Tinyproxy arrangement.

I shall do some investigating on it in the next week or so and see if there is a way ahead.

--Tony

heyilikeyoursweater
January 24th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Hey, thanks for the guide!!!

jantzens
January 31st, 2007, 05:45 AM
I'm following the HOWTO on how to install Dansguardian. When I get to Step 2 e)...I get the following:

scott@scott-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure dansguardian
Password:
Stopping DansGuardian: dansguardian.
Starting DansGuardian: LibClamAV Warning: ************************************************** ******
LibClamAV Warning: *** This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated. ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html ***
LibClamAV Warning: ************************************************** ******
LibClamAV Warning: *** This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated. ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html ***
Error connecting to parent proxy
invoke-rc.d: initscript dansguardian, action "start" failed.

I've reinstalled Dansguardian, tried to reinstall clamav and libclamav, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

SJ

compuwiz
February 2nd, 2007, 01:53 AM
Is squid running?

tonhou
February 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Its certainly to be hoped that Squid is not running - it shouldn't be!

Please see the the other thread where you asked the same question concerning Clamav issues.

--Tony

scottmuz
March 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
I setup my home PC (I only have one PC at home with no internal network) using this HowTo several months ago and it has been working great .

Then today I found my PC really slow and noticed my broadband modems LEDs were blinking like crazy. I did a tail -f on tinyproxy log and saw it was scrolling like crazy. I was horrified to find I was being used as a proxy server by God only knows who.

I commented out "server webcache accept" in firehol.conf and this seemed to stop the external traffic.

But now I'm a bit scared. Am I right in thinking that the way firehol is setup it allows any inbound connection on any port. My firehol.conf is:
<<

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
# server webcache accept

version 5
>>

I was expecting Firehol to block all inbound traffic.

tonhou
March 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience!

The inclusion of "server webcache accept" was at the request of many who wished to use the dansguardian box to filter other boxes on a network - it therefore had to be opened to them. I did mention the following:

"The dansguardian system that is doing the filtering on your network using this configuration CANNOT be connected directly to the internet - very important!!"

Meaning that firehol is allowing access to all and that a router or separate system should be controlling the incoming traffic.

Perhaps by default the "server webcache accept" line should be commented out!

** Have just edited the first post so that it is commented out **

Thanks for pointing out the danger of this.

--Tony

borris.morris
March 11th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Question... If I have this setup... Internet -> Router -> Hub -> to multiple computers, one of which is the DG one, will it still work? Or would I have to have the DG box before the hub?

tonhou
March 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM
to multiple computers, one of which is the DG one, will it still work?

Yes, provided the other configuration conditions are met as per the first post.

--Tony

borris.morris
March 12th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Well, I don't want to have to set all the browsers. None of the network connections would run through the box. It would just be on one of the branches of the hub. That or is there an easy way to have my router use a proxy?

yesdup
March 31st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Hi Tonhou,

Brilliant how to. I used this previously on Mepis for my kids pc and it worked like adream. but i have moved to xubuntu fiesty as it seems to be faster on this old pII box.

I have followed the instructions again but when i restart firehol i get a whole lot of errors and firehol fails and i can't browse "tiny proxy error" if i switch of firehol everything works and dansguardian does it's job as expected.

Can i leave it running without firehol and what are the implication of doing so. also could i install a different firewall i.e. one with a gui that i can configure for other rules and would that in turn effect dansguardian?? below is the error ouput from firehol.

thanks for any help.

ERROR : # 1.
WHAT : A runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2).
SOURCE : line INIT of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world -p tcp -m state '' --state NEW \! --syn -j pr_world_nosyn
OUTPUT :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR : # 2.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_all_c1 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR : # 3.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_all_c1 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 4.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_irc_c2 -p tcp --sport 1024:4999 --dport 6667 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 5.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_irc_c2 -p tcp --sport 6667 --dport 1024:4999 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 6.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 1024:4999 --dport ftp -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 7.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport ftp --dport 1024:4999 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 8.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport ftp-data --dport 1024:4999 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 9.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 1024:4999 --dport ftp-data -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 10.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 1024:4999 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 11.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 1024:4999 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 12.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 13.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 631 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 14.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 15.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 16.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 17.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 631 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 18.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 19.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 20.
SOURCE : line FIN of /etc/firehol/firehol.conf
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 21.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 22.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A INPUT -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 23.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A OUTPUT -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 24.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

fvillasenor
April 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I'm trying to connect my laptop (running Ubuntu 6.10) and other PCs with Win XP , to my network.
I want to use another Ubuntu box, with DG to do web filtering. My set up is like this:

Internet <-> DSL Modem UbuntuCE
Router <-> 192.168.10.37 (Dhcp)
Switch with DG
192.168.10.1 192.168.10.3 (Static)
static ^
|
v
Switch < - > Laptop (192.168.10.200)

The Ubuntu CE, does an excellent jot at web filtering, but only on the browser running on that machine. The browser on the laptop does not connect to the internet, and I followed the directions in this HOWTO. The UbuntuCE even has a dhcp server. From the laptop I can not ping 192.168.10.3 nor 192.168.10.1 which is my modem.

What am I doing wrong???

FV

scottmuz
April 20th, 2007, 03:57 AM
I upgraded to feisty and found firehol is no longer starting.

I get lots of errors like this when firehol is started.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

It seems there is some sort of iptables / firehol incompatibility from reading
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20070329.233325.0482996a.en.html

jcmag
April 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I upgraded to feisty and found firehol is no longer starting.
I get lots of errors like this when firehol is started.

I've changed the /sbin/firehol script to use bash31 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firehol/+bug/78017). I can now start firehol without errors but the dansguardian/firehol/tinyproxy configuration doesn't work ; it works if I set firefox to use directly tinyproxy. So the transparent proxy is broken...

scottmuz
April 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM
A solution that doesn't involve copying bash31 from an edgy system is as follows:

sudo vi /lib/firehol/firehol (replace vi with you editor of choice)
and replace all %q strings with %b.

This is what they've done in gentoo to solve the problem.
There seems to be some confusion as to who is actually responsible for the
problem bash, firehol or iptables but at least this fixes the problem
until a proper fix comes along.

RyanGT
April 21st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the %q %b tip. I was on the verge of uninstalling Feisty and going back to Dapper.

But I am still having some issues. This was such a nice internet filter setup for Dapper/Edgy but I am having some substantial issues with Feisty. My firehol.conf looks like this:

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong

#interface eth1 home
# server ping accept
# server ssh accept
# client all accept
# server cups accept

If I comment out the uncommented lines and uncomment the commented lines, I can get access to the internet (but unfiltered and frighteningly unprotected). If I run it as is, firefox says it can't find any servers and I can't ping anywhere - I basically have no access.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ryan

RyanGT
April 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM
Sorry, I am an idiot. I started messing with firehol.conf to try and trouble shoot this before I read the %q %b thing. After replacing the %q's with %b's in /lib/firehol/firehol, everything is working as expected with this firehol.conf:

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong

#interface eth1 home
# server ping accept
# server ssh accept
client all accept
server cups accept

Basically, I had forgotten that the last two lines were part of my original firehol.conf and not something I added during the trouble shooting.

Thanks,

Ryan

Moso
April 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
A solution that doesn't involve copying bash31 from an edgy system is as follows:

sudo vi /lib/firehol/firehol (replace vi with you editor of choice)
and replace all %q strings with %b.

This is what they've done in gentoo to solve the problem.
There seems to be some confusion as to who is actually responsible for the
problem bash, firehol or iptables but at least this fixes the problem
until a proper fix comes along.

Hi everbody! :)

For me none of the proposed solutions worked... :P

I tried first the replace "thing" and after that the copying of bash31.

I don't remember where, but I read a post of Costa Tsaousis (author of firehol) showing that the replace "thing" generates other problems.

Last I tried install a Edgy server from scratch, updated it and installed firehol. For my surprise, it doesn't work too! :O

RyanGT
April 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
This is more of a Dansguardian question, but does anyone know how when running in blanketblock mode I can have google.com on the grey list but images.google.com on the blacklist?

Thanks,

Ryan

NuttBoxer
May 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm getting an error when Firehol is restarted. I'm using Feisty(7.0.4). This is my conf settings for Firehol:

version 5

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
#server webcache accept

When I restart Firehol, this is the error that I get:

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world -p tcp -m state '' --state NEW \! --syn -j pr_world_nosyn
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_all_c1 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_all_c1 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_irc_c2 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport 6667 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_irc_c2 -p tcp --sport 6667 --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport ftp -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport ftp --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport ftp-data --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport ftp-data -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 631 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p tcp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 631 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_cups_s4 -p udp --sport 631 --dport 631 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A INPUT -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A OUTPUT -m state '' --state RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

[fail]
I though I followed everything as shown. What have I done wrong?

hungry
June 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM
hi all,

I followed this tutorial, and it worked just fine , my only problem is that if I want to use checkgmail I have to use this command as root to enable checkgmail to reach my mailbox.

HTTPS_PROXY="https://127.0.0.1:8080"; checkgmail

do you know a way around this problem?

thanks

ushills
July 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Has anyone got Dansguardian to work with Feisty, I have followed this how-to to the letter and when running firefox cannot access any sites, I understand that I keep the setting to direct connection in Firefox>Prefs.

Also some methods suggest transparentsquis be set to "nobody root" and some "root root" why is this.

Please help as I need to filter the net for my children.

I use standard ubuntu with fiesty, internet is on ra0. PC connects to router - router connects to net.

Thanks

Ian

pianoboy3333
July 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I too am having a problem with this howto on feisty.

Jon Bn
August 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM
oo

Jon Bn
August 12th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I was able to do all of the reinstalls and reconfigures for dansgaurdian but when I tried to restart firehol it failed and displayed a long list of errors. I tried reinstalling firehol in the synaptic package manager hoping that this would reset my configurations. It didn't work. I wish there was a simplified version of dansguardian with a gui interface in the add and remove programs. Is there anyway I could get dansguardian without needing a degree in computer science?

mokmoki
August 30th, 2007, 02:35 AM
i have installed dansguardian just fine, everything's working...

but the problem is that when i restart dansguardian (sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian restart), it seems that the process hangs...

i can stop dansguardian just fine (/etc/init.d/dansguardian stop works flawlessly), but when i try to start it again, it just says "Starting DansGuardian: dansguardian" and it stays there forever...

does anybody know why this is happening?

tashi22
August 31st, 2007, 09:54 PM
I have been reading this thread and trying to install dan guardian as well. i have some difficulties as follows

~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure dansguardian
Password:
* Stopping DansGuardian dansguardian [ OK ]
* Starting DansGuardian dansguardian Error connecting to parent proxy
[fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript dansguardian, action "start" failed.

any ideas on how to fix this? I am still quite a bit of a newbie and only recently returned to linux
thanks

twells
September 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
If you get a lot of "runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2)" when starting firehol, there is a fix here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=538543

Neuromacer
October 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I have dansguardian installed however I have the following extension dpkg-new after all my files?

What have I done wrong and how can I reinstall dansguardian correctly?

jmehdi
October 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
I have installed Gutsy and I want to lock the Firefox proxy settings (by modifying the firefox.cfg file) but it doesn't work (It worked on Feisty)
Any idea?

luvdemheels
October 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
This really NEEDS to be Alot easier and more gui based. Too many simple windows apps like this for there not to be at least 1 linux app that is simple to setup and use.

Too much command line and editing by hand.

jmehdi
October 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I have installed Gutsy and I want to lock the Firefox proxy settings (by modifying the firefox.cfg file) but it doesn't work (It worked on Feisty)
I found that on Gutsy the firefox.cfg file contains one crypted line. If I add the "lockpref..." lines then firefox doesn't start ("error reading configuration file")...
If I remove the crypted line and put the lockpref settings Firefox starts but doesn't take them in account...

help please

pwest
January 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I found that on Gutsy the firefox.cfg file contains one crypted line. If I add the "lockpref..." lines then firefox doesn't start ("error reading configuration file")...
If I remove the crypted line and put the lockpref settings Firefox starts but doesn't take them in account...

help please

I found the same, but managed to get it to work by byteshifting the file as explained on this page:

http://togami.com/%7Ewarren/guides/mozlockdown/

(info was found in this same thread, here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1664722&postcount=14 )

That worked for me.

But now I am trying to figure out how to lockdown firefox32 on my 64bit machine. The 64bit Firefox is locked but not the 32bit.

pofigster
January 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks a million for a great howto!

emada
February 29th, 2008, 04:30 AM
is there a way to force all computers on a lan to use dansguardian? is it in the firewall rules maybe?? heres my setup

0o.inet.o0
||
eth1
ubuntu/router/dan server
eth0
||
switch
/|\
network

jmehdi
April 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
On ubuntu 8.04 I can't lock Firefox settings with lockPref.

I've tried to update the /etc/firefox-3.0/pref/firefox.js but it doesn't work.
If I use "pref" instead of "lockPref" the setting is taken into account.

Any idea?

Haarbal
May 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Just installed Ubuntu. Works wonderful. Before I was a Debian user.
Always wanted to install an internetfilter, e.g. DansGuardian. Finally this one. Your HOWTO is perfect! Everything works! Thank you.

rhenrick
May 19th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Thank you and God Bless!!! :):):)

mysteryous
May 20th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I wanted to relate that I used iptables instead of firehol to get a proxy and DansGuardian to work.

The first command I used was to allow only root, dansguardian, and the proxy user (for Squid in my setup) to be able to access port 80 and the rest to be redirected to port 8080:

sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -t nat ! -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 80 -m owner ! --uid-owner root -m owner ! --uid-owner proxy -m owner ! --uid-owner 118 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080
Of course, there may be no use in putting the Dansguardian user. Remember to write in the specific users on your system. The "-m owner ! --uid-owner root" attributes check for and relates not to redirect the root user's packets.

The second prevents access from a browser directly to the proxy on port 3128:

sudo iptables -t filter -I OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 3128 -m owner ! --uid-owner dansguardian -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

I used some ideas from:
Joe Bolin http://www.linux.com/articles/113733
Olli Savolainen http://www.pilpi.net/journal/item-985.php

houms
June 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Great howto, easy to install.. Works like a charm with Sidux 32bit version...Too bad the DGGUI is not available as a separate package. Though I don't mind administering from CLI, it would be nice to have a gui to offer to people who want this functionality but lack the knowledge of the command line.

jmehdi
June 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
it would be nice to have a gui to offer to people who want this functionality but lack the knowledge of the command line.

Try WebStrict: http://www.ubuntume.com/webstrict

To install it:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following lines at the end of the file:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntume.team/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntume.team/ubuntu hardy main

Save the file and close the editor.
Then:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install webstrict

houms
June 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Try WebStrict: http://www.ubuntume.com/webstrict

To install it:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following lines at the end of the file:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntume.team/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntume.team/ubuntu hardy main

Save the file and close the editor.
Then:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install webstrict

Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it. Couple of questions though. Though I like ubuntu, I'm primarily a debian/sidux user, and wanted to know if webstrict can be installed on sidux using the steps you outlined... Obviously I would need to modify the commands for sidux, but is webstrict just a front-end to Dansguardian? Similar to what the ubuntu CE has? If so, I assume I can just add the repository to my sources.list and install it as you mentioned. Assuming it creates a menu and such... Is this something that i can install on top of my existing setup (which is based on the tutorial at the beginning of this thread). Again thanks for your response(s).

jmehdi
June 20th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Yes WebStrict is just a GUI frontend to dansguardian. It is a java application so you should have java installed (better is sun-java-6)

Following the steps I described should be fine, if you don't find the menu you can launch the app in a terminal by typing "webstrict".

Tell me if it works.

houms
June 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Okay installed it. It did not create a menu but i can open it by issuing the following command;
kdesu webstrict (i use kde)
the gui looks great but I do not think it is working. Couple of things I noticed...
i tried testing it by trying to add yahoo.com to the blocked site and url list..(i forget which one is for the whole site vs part of a site) nonetheless... yahoo is still accessible... not sure if the settings are being added to dansguardian config. In reading the FAQ, it appears that it only supports firefox? which is strange because the filtering i setup using the tutorial works across all browsers(iceweasel and konqueror). So i'm not sure what webstrict is referring to. but when i try to lock/unlock the firefox settings in webstrict, it keeps telling me that it does not find firefox on my system....
So yes the install works, but the program itself does not appear to be making the changes accordingly... Unless I dont know how to use webstrict correctly...
If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

jmehdi
June 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM
i tried testing it by trying to add yahoo.com to the blocked site and url list..(i forget which one is for the whole site vs part of a site) nonetheless... yahoo is still accessible... not sure if the settings are being added to dansguardian config

Did you restart the dansguardian service? (open the log to see if there are errors). You can check if the config files are well updated by opening them directly from /etc/dansguardian folder.

i setup using the tutorial works across all browsers(iceweasel and konqueror). So i'm not sure what webstrict is referring to. but when i try to lock/unlock the firefox settings in webstrict, it keeps telling me that it does not find firefox on my system....
If you configured dansguardian for all browsers no need to use the lock/unlock button.

houms
June 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
i did restart the service using the restart button on the webstrict interface....
It appears that it is creating a seperate installation... by that i mean here is what my /etc/dansguardian directory looks like prior to installing webstrict;
# ls
authplugins dansguardian.conf downloadmanagers lists
contentscanners dansguardianf1.conf languages

now the bannedsiteslist or bannedurlist is in the /lists directory above...so i can go in there and for example put yahoo.com on the bannedsiteslist and restart dansgaurdian and yahoo is blocked.

But after installing webstrict, my directory looks like
authplugins blacklists
dansguardian.conf lists dansguardianf1.conf languages exceptionphraselist logsitelist
bannedextensionlist contentregexplist exceptionregexpurllist logurllist
bannediplist contentscanners exceptionsitelist phraselists
bannedmimetypelist downloadmanagers exceptionurllist pics
bannedphraselist exceptionextensionlist filtergroupslist urlregexplist
bannedregexpheaderlist exceptionfilesitelist greysitelist weightedphraselist
bannedregexpurllist exceptionfileurllist greyurllist
bannedsitelist exceptioniplist headerregexplist
bannedurllist exceptionmimetypelist logregexpurllist

If i then use webstrict to add yahoo.com to the bannedsiteslist. it puts it in the /etc/dansguardian/bannedsiteslist, which as I am understanding it... this change should be showing up in the /etc/dansguardian/lists/bannedsiteslist.
So i think this is why when using webstrict it does not work... because the changes are not being made to the proper file(s)... not sure if using a symbolic link of some sort can resolve this issue. Again thanks for your assistance, and any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

jmehdi
June 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
How did you install dansguardian? (using a standalone .deb file, from a repository...)

Webstrict updates files in the default location of dansguardian, when it is installed from the ubuntu repository.

Also, take a look at the dansguardian.conf file, paths such as "bannediplist = '/etc/dansguardian/bannediplist'" are defined there, is there the /list subdirectory?

houms
June 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
installed it from the repo that you instructed....added the ppa.launchpad.net repo you mentioned to sources.list, and the apt-get update
apt-get install webstrict...
I don't know why the directory structure is different... i have the following versions installed

dansguardian 2.9.9.4-1
tinyproxy 1.6.3-2.1
firehol 1.256-3

yes in /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf
the banned and exception IP lists are pointing into the /etc/dansguardian/lists/*lists

jmehdi
June 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
installed it from the repo that you instructed....added the ppa.launchpad.net repo you mentioned to sources.list, and the apt-get update
apt-get install webstrict...
No I meant the installation of dansguardian, prior to webstrict. Anyway, the ubuntu version of dansguardian is 2.8.0.6 (in hardy), so maybe they change the config files location in 2.9.9.4.
The 2.9.9.4 version is available in the ubuntu intrepid repos, I'll test it when I have time.

So, if you modify the dansguardian.conf file by removing the 'list' subfolder for all paths, does it work?

houms
June 21st, 2008, 12:33 AM
Okay I think I made a mistake because I retested the install and this time it didnt create any new directories, at least not as i stated earlier...my ls output for /etc/dansguardian after webscript is

authplugins dansguardian.conf downloadmanagers lists
contentscanners dansguardianf1.conf languages

I can open webscript and again using the same example as last time yahoo does not get blocked. So I'm not sure where webscript is placing these "lists" files....currently the versions i mentioned previously are installed plus the webscript package from launchpad, and the above is what my /etc/dansguardian has. I know dansguardian is working properly as i mentioned earlier, but i'm curious as to where webstrict is looking for the "lists".I assume its where the ubuntu version places them. I appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your results yield some progress. I wil keep you posted on my end if i figure anything out.

jmehdi
July 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
I've updated WebStrict to check where config files are (in /etc/dansguardian or /etc/dansguardian/lists). The new version is available in our repository. Please give it a try and tell me if it works.

houms
July 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've updated WebStrict to check where config files are (in /etc/dansguardian or /etc/dansguardian/lists). The new version is available in our repository. Please give it a try and tell me if it works.

I can confirm that it is working with sidux now.... This is a great way for non-techies to take control of this wonderful content filter..Thanks for all your efforts jmehdi. Great work...

I have one note to make though. If you want to stop the filter completely for whatever reason(maintenance,etc). just stopping dansguardian/tinyproxy using webstrict's "stop" button will render your web useless. The reason seems to be that firehol is still running. so to completely stop filtering but still use the net(unfiltered), I had to issue
/etc/init.d/firehol stop
in addition to using the stop button in webstrict. Not sure if it would be possible to add firehol to webstrict.?by that i mean have the stop, start, and restart buttons control firehol as well. Also I have Iceweasel RC2 instead of firefox installed. The firefox button (lock and unlock) says firefox is not installed on this system when pressed. Not so sure if its necessary to have the functionality in this setup, since the tutorial filters no matter what browser your using. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again jmehdi.

Also the access log buttons do not work.

jmehdi
July 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
I can confirm that it is working with sidux now.... This is a great way for non-techies to take control of this wonderful content filter..Thanks for all your efforts jmehdi. Great work...
Great :D And thanks to you for your feedback and your suggestions to improve webstrict.

Not sure if it would be possible to add firehol to webstrict.
I've uploaded a new version ; I check if the services are installed (dansguardian, tinyproxy, firehol) and the start/stop/restart buttons manage them all. Please give it a try.

The firefox button (lock and unlock) says firefox is not installed on this system when pressed. Not so sure if its necessary to have the functionality in this setup, since the tutorial filters no matter what browser your using. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
This button works only with Firefox 2.0, and in your case, as you use firehol, it is useless. Maybe I'll remove it in future versions.

Also the access log buttons do not work.
Does this file exist: /var/log/dansguardian/access.log ?

houms
July 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Your welcome Jmehdi. I really appreciate you taking out the time and effort to make these modifications. Another reason why OSS is so brilliant. Please let me know if i can help with anything. Seriously, I just want to get involved as much as possible.

Damn jmehdi you move fast... Yep the new version definitely works with sidux... Now stop start and restart buttons are working flawlessly. Thanks homie.

Thanks also for replying to the firefox question. Thats what i figured that it was useless for this tutorial. It would be nice to see a webstrict version for the tutorial(without the firefox buttons since the tutorial filters regardless of browser used). it would be nice but I don't think its a must since this version works so well.

In reference to the log buttons.
/var/log/dansguardian shows the following files;
access.log access.log.1 access.log.2

jmehdi
July 1st, 2008, 10:16 PM
In reference to the log buttons.
/var/log/dansguardian shows the following files;
access.log access.log.1 access.log.2

Strange, in my code I just check if the "/var/log/dansguardian/access.log" file exists and open it. Do you have a specific error?
For the HTML log files you should have files in "/var/log/dansguardian/html"

houms
July 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Strange, in my code I just check if the "/var/log/dansguardian/access.log" file exists and open it. Do you have a specific error?
For the HTML log files you should have files in "/var/log/dansguardian/html"

I don't get any errors. The buttons don't do anything. by that I mean when pressed nothing happens... The access log when listed as text neither buttons do anything.... I do not have /var/log/dansguardian/html
my /var/log/dansguardian/access.log does show entries.

jmehdi
July 7th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I don't get any errors. The buttons don't do anything. by that I mean when pressed nothing happens... The access log when listed as text neither buttons do anything.... I do not have /var/log/dansguardian/html
my /var/log/dansguardian/access.log does show entries.

Which version of java do you use?

houms
July 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Which version of java do you use?

apt-show-versions sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-jre/sid uptodate 6-06-1

apt-show-versions sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-bin/sid uptodate 6-06-1

apt-show-versions sun-java6-plugin
sun-java6-plugin/sid uptodate 6-06-1

izak
October 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Followed the instructions on the very first post and it works like a charm. Thank you very much!

roald
October 31st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi!
I've been trying Ubuntu and UbuntuCE for some days, and am really impressed. Will probably switch from Windows for most of my computers. Unfortunately my kids love games that only run on Windows...

As far as I can see this thread describes how to install the same functionality as is default in UbuntuCE. I'm searching for information on something similar. What I want is:
* have all internet traffic from my home network pass through an Ubuntu installation so that the traffic will be filtered by Dansguardian, without having to adjust proxy-settings on the other computers in my house. Basically all traffic should pass, but if Dansguardian finds a page with bad content it should display it's normal STOP-page with a bypass-link.

I've tried with Firestarter and DHCP3-server to get the internet connection sharing. That works but then Dansguardian does not block any more.

Thankful for any thoughts on this

Roald

borris.morris
November 1st, 2008, 06:33 AM
You have to set the gateway to that of the machine running Dansguardian. I.E. if your proxy server is 192.168.1.3 set the gateway to 192.168.1.3

Marc Duval
November 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Can you get just the gui frond end? I've followed the above howto and have dansguardian working properly, but a gui tool for configuration would be nice.

I use webmin to configure dansguardian. Works very nicely.

TitanTiger
November 11th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I'm having some trouble. First, when I get to the part where I type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dansguardian

...I get this message:

* Stopping DansGuardian dansguardian [ OK ]
* Starting DansGuardian dansguardian

Error connecting to parent proxy

invoke-rc.d: initscript dansguardian, action "start" failed. [fail]

I tried to just go on with the rest of it and hope it would come together at the end, but when I run the restarts of all three, dansguardian and tinyproxy restart fine, but firehol gives me this:

* Restarting Firewall configuration

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_irc_c2 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport 6667 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_irc_c2 -p tcp --sport 6667 --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport ftp -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport ftp --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport ftp-data --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport ftp-data -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c3 -p tcp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_all_c5 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_all_c5 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_irc_c6 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport 6667 -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_irc_c6 -p tcp --sport 6667 --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c7 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport ftp -m state '' --state NEW\,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 25.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c7 -p tcp --sport ftp --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 26.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c7 -p tcp --sport ftp-data --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 27.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c7 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport ftp-data -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 28.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A out_world_ftp_c7 -p tcp --sport 32768:61000 --dport 1000:65535 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED\,RELATED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 29.
COMMAND : /sbin/iptables -t filter -A in_world_ftp_c7 -p tcp --sport 1000:65535 --dport 32768:61000 -m state '' --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 30.
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 31.
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 32.
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 33.
OUTPUT :

ERROR : # 34.
OUTPUT :

[fail]

What am I doing wrong?

TitanTiger
November 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
An update. I seem to have gotten it working. I hadn't set up the proxy settings in Firefox properly. I still don't know what the nature of those Firehol errors are though.

Harry_Callahan
January 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hello,

working great for me! but..

firehol seems to be blocking port 64294 that I use for Azureus, I get NAT\Firewall warning on Azureus. If I do sudo firehol stop, Azureus starts working fine. How can I open port 64294? Is there something to add on:

from the /etc/firehol/firehol.conf file?

Opening that port could cause any problems for the filtering?

thanks

svanarts
January 25th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Your how-to worked great, thank you!! The only hitch I ran into was that the Ubuntu forums got blocked!:( Easy fix, just added it to the exceptions list. I'd like a gui too so I'm going to try webmin as another user pointed out. Wonderful how-to thanks again!!:KS

dardack
January 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've tried reading all the posts here, and I may have missed it.

Is there a way to block anon proxies? I know to lock firefox preferences, and obviously they can't install opera or anything without admin password. Also, does the default block SSL or do I have to block all SSL and then whitelist like ssl I want?

Thanks for any help

dardack
January 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Your how-to worked great, thank you!! The only hitch I ran into was that the Ubuntu forums got blocked!:( Easy fix, just added it to the exceptions list. I'd like a gui too so I'm going to try webmin as another user pointed out. Wonderful how-to thanks again!!:KS

Yea the ubuntu forums got blocked on me as well. Very strange, but whitelisted them.

semijoyful
February 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Just how exactly do I use webmin as a frontend for dansguardian?
Thanks!
-Kirk

Dirkomatic
February 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
For some reason, this command:

results in:

iptables:No chain/target/match by that name

I can remove the owner match and it works fine... Any ideas why I can't get the --uid-owner to work?

ddigler
February 19th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you!! Brand new to Linux (3 days now).;) Running Ubuntu 8.10. After 15 syntax errors got it rolling lol. 10 mins total. Haven't tweaked DG at all yet but it seems to do remarkably well already.

Am I right that my son will not be able to tamper with the filter (disable/configure) without the administrator password that I used to install the aps?

Also, are my ports secure with this setup? I know very little about networking and just want to make sure that I'm secure with this setup.

arthritisankle
March 13th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Edit: I figured out my original question but now I have more.

How do you limit the users that are filtered? I edited the user exception file to add the usernames that don't need filtering and they were still filtered. IT says that authentication is necessary, but I don't know what that means.

Also, I can no longer run ushare to stream media to my xbox 360. Any ideas?

Electron
March 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hi,

I did follow all the instruction and everything work alright :). However, there a few websites (this is one of them) that are blocked and download files are impossible when is running. So I unistalled, restarted just to write this post looking for an answer. My question is how to configure dansquardian to blocked your pornography or is there anything that i can do to access the websites that are need.

This computer that I am using is the one running dansguarding is connecting to the internet through a router (home network). Any help, please will be greatly appreciated.

Electron
March 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM
HI,

I follow the instructions on how to setup the dansguarding and everything went smooth. However, there are website that are being blocked (this page is one of them), also I cannot download anything now, every file that I need to download from the web is "access denied" including mp3 files.

I had to unistalled the dansguarding, with tinyproxy, and firehol and rebbot just to put this post here. I did that because i don't know how to configure dansguardian.

I just need to block pornographic websites and related searches, i don't do gaming or anything similar, the application will be installed in this computer and connects to the internet through a router (home network).

Any help on this regard, will be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

ocarinahuff
March 19th, 2009, 10:15 PM
the files you need to edit are in /etc/dansguardian/lists

comment out everything in these two lists, by placing a "#" in front of every line that doesn't have one.

gksu gedit /etc/dansguardian/lists/bannedextensionlist
gksu gedit /etc/dansguardian/lists/bannedmimetypelist

Then add websites that you don't want to have blocked to this list

gksu gedit /etc/dansguardian/lists/exceptionsitelist

don't add the http:// or www., do it like this:

distrowatch.com
ubuntuforums.org
utah.edu

Electron
March 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the info, ocarinahuff. I solved my problem for now using OpenDns, but I would like to go back to Dansguardian its faster than openDns ..., so I will be following your instructions later.

ckollars
March 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
This configuration works for single-desktop systems and for SOHO networks. But I would caution that it's not an appropriate base upon which to build a server for a larger LAN:

Most often a dedicated network server has neither a GUI nor a local user.

Squid (rather than Tinyproxy) is usually paired with DansGuardian on a LAN server. Squid's caching and multi-threading offer significantly better performance. And its "auth" capabilities (which Tinyproxy does not have) are needed in some DansGuardian configurations.

A network firewall server is typically a machine with two network interfaces, and DansGuardian/Squid typically runs directly on that same machine. The alternative of running DansGuardian/Squid on a machine other than the network firewall will require extra server hardware. And it's more difficult to appropriately maintain a filter without two network interfaces.

This configuration too easily interferes with other network services running on the same computer. (Other services might include a Network Addressable Storage such as Samba, or a directory service such as LDAP).

nsales1
May 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I've just got DG up and running with firehol and tinyproxy and I am unable to view some sites (Facebook mainly). How do I make it so I can view this and any other sites that I use that aren't offensive but are being blocked by DG? (I'm new to Ubuntu - about 3 months of use).

RyanGT
May 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You could add facebook to the exceptionsitelist or add certain pages, such as your facebook home page to the exceptionurllist. Pretty much all DG configuration comes through editting the various lists which are in /etc/dansguardian/lists. My excectionurllist has entries like

facebook.com/profile.php?id=1231789701

The difference between exception sites and exceptionurls is that the urls only authorize a small portion of the entire site, rather than all of facebook.

penguin412
June 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Is there a way to use Dansguardian as a transparent proxy for a network? I can't round up all the computers on my network and change the HTTP proxy and port. Thanks.

david_kt
July 22nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Is there a way to use Dansguardian as a transparent proxy for a network? I can't round up all the computers on my network and change the HTTP proxy and port. Thanks.

I am studying that possibility, using 2 network interfaces (eth0 to wan and eth1 to lan). I will let you know if I succeed to do that.

DK

nowhere@cox.net
July 27th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Is there a way to set up filtering based on user? Obviously, I would like a different set of filtering for parents and children and perhaps no filtering for the admin user for the system...

Thanks!

Mr.n
August 25th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Dears,

Ubuntu is really annoying with tinyproxy and squid. I tried the exactly the above configuration but sometimes browsing is good and sometimes it is very slow and it displays blank pages.
I tried a simple masquerading in iptables and all the websites are opening very fast however when I come back and use http proxy I see blank pages in firefox.
I have a box with 3.0 cpu 2Gb ram dedicated for ubuntu server and filtering about 6 users only in my home network. I tried both squid and tinyproxy with dansguardian but I am facing slowness problems. Is it possible to use dansguardian without an http proxy !
How can we troubleshoot this issue ?

Here are some logs from tinyproxy
CONNECT Aug 25 12:02:59 [12145]: Request (file descriptor 7): GET http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/collapse_tcat.gif HTTP/1.0
INFO Aug 25 12:02:59 [12145]: No proxy for ubuntuforums.org
CONNECT Aug 25 12:02:59 [12145]: Established connection to host "ubuntuforums.org" using file descriptor 8.
INFO Aug 25 12:02:59 [12146]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:8)
CONNECT Aug 25 12:02:59 [12143]: Connect (file descriptor 7): localhost [127.0.0.1]
ERROR Aug 25 12:02:59 [12143]: read_request_line: Client (file descriptor: 7) closed socket before read.
INFO Aug 25 12:02:59 [12145]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:8)
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:01 [12144]: Established connection to host "ubuntuforums.org" using file descriptor 9.
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:01 [12350]: Established connection to host "ubuntuforums.org" using file descriptor 8.
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:01 [12349]: Established connection to host "ubuntuforums.org" using file descriptor 9.
INFO Aug 25 12:03:02 [12350]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:8)
INFO Aug 25 12:03:02 [12349]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:9)
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:02 [12148]: Established connection to host "ubuntuforums.org" using file descriptor 8.
INFO Aug 25 12:03:02 [12144]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:9)
INFO Aug 25 12:03:02 [12148]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:8)
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:03 [12147]: Established connection to host "ubuntuforums.org" using file descriptor 8.
INFO Aug 25 12:03:04 [12147]: Closed connection between local client (fd:7) and remote client (fd:8)
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:18 [12139]: Connect (file descriptor 7): localhost [127.0.0.1]
CONNECT Aug 25 12:03:18 [12139]: Request (file descriptor 7): GET http://ubuntuforums.org/private.php HTTP/1.0
INFO Aug 25 12:03:18 [12139]: No proxy for ubuntuforums.org

david_kt
August 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Dears,

Ubuntu is really annoying with tinyproxy and squid. I tried the exactly the above configuration but sometimes browsing is good and sometimes it is very slow and it displays blank pages.
I tried a simple masquerading in iptables and all the websites are opening very fast however when I come back and use http proxy I see blank pages in firefox.
I have a box with 3.0 cpu 2Gb ram dedicated for ubuntu server and filtering about 6 users only in my home network. I tried both squid and tinyproxy with dansguardian but I am facing slowness problems. Is it possible to use dansguardian without an http proxy !
How can we troubleshoot this issue ?

Not sure if the problem is due to firehol. I have removed firehol from dansguadian GUI, may be you could try below:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/jaunty_i386/dansguardian-gui_2.2_all.deb

Launch dansguardian GUI and choose autoconfigure.

After you should edit:

/etc/init.d/ubuntu_ce_firewall

to suit your need (to share to LAN, make sure you redirect port 80 from the LAN to port 8080).

I hope without firehol it woul be faster.

DK

Mr.n
August 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM
hey david,

thank you for your reply. i alreayd stopped firehol and i have done a port redirection form 80 to 8080 and everything was quiet working but with huge delays. if i use directly the nating in iptables the site opens in 5 seconds but if i use the proxy it will take minutes to load all the content. actually i am using ubuntu 9.04 server so it's not possible to have a gui. do we have any web interface instead?

anyway how can we debug this. the logs arn't really helpful ...

Thank you

scottmuz
October 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Been running with this setup for several years with no issues.

But since I've upgraded to karmic I am getting blank pages for many sites
including ubuntuforums.org!

Not usable anymore.

Any ideas?

I don't think the version of tinyproxy of firehol have changed so
I suspect it may be due to the new version of dansguardian.

scottmuz
October 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Definately seems to be an issue with dansguardian 2.10.1.1 in karmic
as if I go back to the jaunty version of dansguiardian 2.9.9.7
my blank pages problem is gone.

PocketHercules
November 6th, 2009, 05:52 AM
scottmuz,

I am having the exact same issue that you are having. No issue in jaunty. I tried uninstalling tinyproxy and reinstalling to no avail. Have you made any progress?

scottmuz
November 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi PocketHercules In karmic I fixed by

1. Uninstalling karmic dansguardian

2. Downloading the jaunty package from here
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/dansguardian

3 Installing the jaunty version with dpkg -i

4. Telling the package manager to hold it at this version with
sudo aptitude hold dansguardian

I was waiting to see if it was reported by anyone else.
Now I know it wasn't just me I'll raise it on launchpad.

scottmuz
November 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
The issue is discussed here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1310351&page=2
and has been raised on launchpad

Doesn't seem there is a solution yet other than my one.

dasunsrule32
November 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The issue is discussed here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1310351&page=2
and has been raised on launchpad

Doesn't seem there is a solution yet other than my one.

I built it from source, and it works fine. Something in the deb file for Karmic.

smopi
November 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Everybody!

I have two PC boxes: AMD X2 64 with Ubuntu 9.10 AMD_64 and Intel Pentium D with 9.10 i386. In my case this bug appears only on the first one. Reinstalling Dansguardian from Jaunty fixes it for me.

Best regards,
Piotr

ant2ne
November 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
IDK if this is mentioned or not. I didn't read all 11 pages. But,
OP says
sudo gedit /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.cfg and it should be edited for
sudo gedit /usr/share/doc/firefox-3.5/firefox.cfg at least for ubuntu 9.04 with FF 3.5

david_kt
November 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
IDK if this is mentioned or not. I didn't read all 11 pages. But,
OP says and it should be edited for at least for ubuntu 9.04 with FF 3.5

The first post is belong to Tonhou, not me. As such, I could not edit it. Actually I have make a deb package to automate the whole process, which is already updated for karmic as well. You could check below:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/dansguardian-gui_2.3_all.deb

It also will enable you to share internet sharing (if you have two network cards) or internet filtering sharing (if you haveo nly one network card) easily.

This package is made for ubuntu christian edition version.

DK

ant2ne
November 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
The first post is belong to Tonhou, not me. As such, I could not edit it. ahhh
Actually I have make a deb package to automate the whole process, which is already updated for karmic as well. You could check below:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/dansguardian-gui_2.3_all.deb awesome. I wish I would have known about that before hand. Because I got the other method up and running already.

It also will enable you to share internet sharing (if you have two network cards) or internet filtering sharing (if you haveo nly one network card) easily. I'm not sure I understand you. You mean, it can function as an inline and as transparent proxy? I am interested in setting up an in line box to function as a dansguardian content filter, site to site VPN, firewall and a squid web cache proxy.

Do you have any advice on how to filter with dansguardian by user? I want to filter the kids, but not the grownups.

AlexanderDGreat
November 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi, can anybody help me?

Ever since the first post, dansguardian, tinyproxy, and firehol just filters my Server, but NOT the whole LAN network.

Here's mysetup: Internet -> modem -> router -> switch -> Server, workstation1, workstation2, etc... I'm using Ubuntu 9.04. I'm only using 1 interface card which is eth0

I've followed the guide step by step.

--------------------------
1. dansguardian.conf

#UNCONFIGURED
filterport = 8080
proxyip = 127.0.0.1
proxyport = 3128

sudo gedit /etc/default/firehol
START_FIREHOL=YES

3.firehol.conf

interface any world
policy drop
protection strong
client all accept
server cups accept
server webcache accept

4. tinyproxy.conf
User root
Group root
Port 3128
ViaProxyName "tinyproxy"

If I setup the proxy in the firefox on my LAN it works, but if I don't it doesn't. Help!

david_kt
November 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
If I setup the proxy in the firefox on my LAN it works, but if I don't it doesn't. Help!

If you only have one network card, I think you have to set proxy on client computers.

DK

AlexanderDGreat
November 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hi david_kt - thanks for replying. So how can I restrict the clients from changing their proxies? Because I can't possibly get to every computer on our workplace. Also, if I just setup proxies on their browsers, wouldn't they be able to just change it right away? What're the alternatives? They're using WinXP.

atryus28
November 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi All, has anyone else not only had this problem but I have an extra part as well? Updating to Karmic broke Dan's Guardian as described. However I have an extra problem, in that, even after uninstalling dansguardian, I am unable to browse at all. If I reinstall it, I have the limited connection issue. Does anyone know what else might be blocking pages even after uninstalling dansguardian? At this point I am fine just not even having it any more but currently that is not an option.

Thanks in advance

david_kt
November 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hi david_kt - thanks for replying. So how can I restrict the clients from changing their proxies? Because I can't possibly get to every computer on our workplace. Also, if I just setup proxies on their browsers, wouldn't they be able to just change it right away? What're the alternatives? They're using WinXP.

1. Set the router to accept only the server, and deny other computer access.
By doing this, if the client computers remove the proxy setting, they would not have internet access.

2. Buy additional network card for the server: 1 card connect to internet, the other connect to LAN.

DK

david_kt
November 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hi All, has anyone else not only had this problem but I have an extra part as well? Updating to Karmic broke Dan's Guardian as described. However I have an extra problem, in that, even after uninstalling dansguardian, I am unable to browse at all. If I reinstall it, I have the limited connection issue. Does anyone know what else might be blocking pages even after uninstalling dansguardian? At this point I am fine just not even having it any more but currently that is not an option.

Thanks in advance

Uninstall dansguardian and all the packages you install with dansguardian (tinyproxy and firehol may be?).

DK

atryus28
November 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
That's the problem, did not see that tiny proxy and firehol were part of the install.

I will give that a shot at home later. Thank you. I have a feeling this is the issue. Didn't really expect an answer so quickly.

Have a good one!

anupindi007
November 30th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I have quick question? seeking your help.

I am using tinyproxy and dansgaurdian and its working fine (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_Dansguardian_on_LinuxMCE)

Tinyproxy and dansgaurdian on same system and others connecting to wireless router(DHCP). How do i bypass Tinyproxy/dansgaurdian for specific user using mac address(because i am getting DHCP).

Thanks in advance for the same.

AlexanderDGreat
December 1st, 2009, 05:02 AM
Hi david_kt, thanks for the quick answer, I just allowed my Server's MAC to pass in the network. By using this, I can now filter the network. Thanks a lot my friend! :)

david_kt
December 1st, 2009, 07:33 AM
I have quick question? seeking your help.

I am using tinyproxy and dansgaurdian and its working fine (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_Dansguardian_on_LinuxMCE)

Tinyproxy and dansgaurdian on same system and others connecting to wireless router(DHCP). How do i bypass Tinyproxy/dansgaurdian for specific user using mac address(because i am getting DHCP).

Thanks in advance for the same.
Assuming eth1 connected to LAN and eth0 connected to internet, try this on the server:

sudo iptables -I INPUT -i eth1 -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -I FORWARD -i eth1 -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

I do not know whether or not it is working as I have not tried it before. If it is not working, may be need to add MASQUERADE.

DK

anupindi007
December 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Assuming eth1 connected to LAN and eth0 connected to internet, try this on the server:

sudo iptables -I INPUT -i eth1 -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -I FORWARD -i eth1 -m mac --mac-source xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -o eth0 -j ACCEPTI do not know whether or not it is working as I have not tried it before. If it is not working, may be need to add MASQUERADE.

DK
Thanks for your inputs and I will check on the same.

ant2ne
December 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/karmic_i386/dansguardian-gui_2.3_all.deb
broken linky

david_kt
December 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
broken linky

follow instruction below:

http://ubuntuce.com/convert.htm

change

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-ce

to

sudo apt-get install dansguardian-gui

DK

tgoatley
February 20th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Setup/Situation/Question/Configuration:

Setup:
For now, Ubuntu 9.04 - I would love to use 9.10 but it appears that UbuntuCE is the only distro that has all of Dansguardian ready to roll (I don't mind the webmin/Dansguardian plugin but I like the CE interface...efficient, simple). Currently my experience with Ubuntu 9.10 for my configuration is that it has issue with the /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default.sample file and I am not getting any responses to why. I was getting error messages because the file starts !#/bin/sh so I retyped it to !#/bin/bash saved it, reran it, just for it to not kick an error message back...but, why? It still isn't working.FYI: My profiles default /bin/bash. Anyway, I'm trying. So here it goes...

Situation:
I have a couple of branches that use a community available wireless and I need to implement Dansguardian for their protection.
We are under development (at our library) to implement Ubuntu for our Public Internet. We need to offer levels of security to our Patrons. Aside: For our currently in use Ubuntu PCs we are using wireless (through a Bluesocket controller) and I have been pushing these PCs through our squid proxy for filtering. All is good in this world.

Question:
How can I get Dansguardian to function in this environment?
With the need to use separate profiles (see 1. Create multiple user profiles) how can I get Dansguardian to work for each profile.
I use timekpr to maintain time limits (set to the top of the hour) so that when the profiles are used/logged into there is only access for that time granted then it is locked. The following day with a new login and a copy of the base profile to replace the previous days profile, any and all profile data is wiped, completely.

Here is my configuation for 9.04

1. Create multiple user profiles.
I setup 1 profile as per our user needs that will serve as the base profile (found in /home ) for all the other profiles logging into 1 particular PC (we do have many Public PCs). I do this by being root and: cp -r someprofile base.
Then:
2. From /etc/gdm/PostLogin.
I recreate the Default file from the Default.sample file. Then I add the scripting and as root run the script from the prompt $./Default

For anyone that would like this script here it is.

#Script for resetting home directory
if [[ "$LOGNAME" == lnxlib* ]] ; then
rm -rf $HOME
cp -a /home/base $HOME
chown -R $LOGNAME:$LOGNAME $HOME
exit 0

else
exit 0
fi

This allows a profile to be cleanly reloaded the next day without any trace of files created website visited, etc., from the previous day.

3. Implement timekpr.
I then setup timekpr assigning time to the profile names. The profiles follow the script example of lnxlib* and follows the pattern lnxlib1 - lnxlib20. I use lnxlib20 as my "base" profile.
Once this is complete I restart the machine and viola`. The same desktop appears as I set it up for each patron that signs in based off of the profile lnxlib20.
FYI: I make sure that if I need to make any changes to the base profile that I rem out the lines from the Default file so that when I go into lnxlib20 to do a little reconfiguring I don't create any issues.
I also make sure that I don't include my base profile (my case lnxlib20) to timekpr. I usually just include a dozen or so profiles in timekpr.

I am hoping that my added information will inspire someone to give me the needed information to get Dansguardian to function in this environment because right now the logins can surf any site at leisure and I really want Ubuntu to be the coolest thing we have done for our library system this year. I just have to prove it to my peers.

Thank you

david_kt
February 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
1. Have you rename /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default.sample to /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default ?

2. As long as the other users do not have root access, you could lock firefox proxy and make sure dansguardian is enable. All users would be filtered.

DK

AlexanderDGreat
February 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Changed my setup entirely, am now using Squid Proxy Server with 2 NIC cards, made a tutorial, pls. comment on my system if needed.

PS You might be able to learn something from these videos as well:

Basic Squid Server Tutorial Part 1 of 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMadVJNoD48

Basic Squid Server Tutorial Part 2 of 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJB0STcmZM

Basic Squid Server Tutorial Part 3 of 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sizp7IH5Utg

fishin4guitars
October 11th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I've got dansguardian working well with squid, except for the fact that Firefox's network settings can be temporarily changed (until ffx is restarted). I tried the following code in firefox.cfg as said on the first page of the thread:

But as said before, it only changes the default, and can be changed in individual sessions.

EDIT: Just for clarification, its Firefox v3.6.10 on 10.04

scottmuz
April 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I've been using this HOWTO now for several years. Re-doing it each time I upgrade from one version of Ubuntu to the next. However in recent versions of Ubuntu dansguardian and tinyproxy have not worked well together, with lots of webpages appearing as blank and various content coding errors.

I'd resolved this by pinning tinyproxy to an older version. But this time I instead used privoxy. Prixovy seems to work more reliably with dansguardian and seems (although I may be imagining it) faster.

I did the following (in addition to the steps identified on page 1):
- sudo apt-get install privoxy
- sudo gedit /etc/init.d/privoxy
-- change OWNER to be root
- sudo gedit /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf
-- change proxyport to 8118
- sudo /etc/init.d/tinyproxy stop; sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy start; sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian restart

Rakeshvijayan
October 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Hi am new in using dansguardian .I am not installed it on my server am using 11.04 ubutnu as my server .I have some questions
1) Is it possible to install and configuring dansguardian on my flavor of ubuntu ?
2) Dns Is working on this server ,and have only one lan card ,do i need to implement the filtering though this dns server ,all my client system depends on the dns server for Internet

Thanks

romber
November 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I didn't read through every page, but I noticed one discrepancy in the directions (which, of course, may have been addressed already, but oh well).

I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 x64 (64 bit). Everything worked out fine until step 5 when it said:

sudo gedit /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy.conf

For me, it would open a new gedit file of this, but not the actual configuration file because tinyproxy doesn't install inside a folder in /etc, it is just in the open.

So, what worked for me was a slight change:

sudo gedit /etc/tinyproxy.conf

I'm really new to ubuntu, so my jargon and correct use of terms is probably not up to date, but hopefully this helps someone!