PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Skype installed but not working

Florio
October 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yesterday I managed to find and install Skype 4.0 onto lubunto 12.04 (it was not contained in the synaptic package manager as I had read elsewhere!!), but I've now discovered that I cannot get into the programme.

After installing it, I added a couple of contacts and then left it until today. When I now try to open Skype, the main panel appears for about one second, and then closes immediately. I've tried removing Skype and then reinstalling it, but the result is the same.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions (seeing as I'm an absolute newbie, you'll have to explain anything involving the terminal in very simple terms!!!!);)

NikTh
October 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
(it was not contained in the synaptic package manager as I had read elsewhere!!), but I've now discovered that I cannot get into the programme.

Hi ,

Uninstall skype and install it from software-center.(or terminal) Yes it is included BUT first you must enable the partners repository .

gksudo software-properties-gtkGoto "Other software" and mark (tick the box) "Canonical Partners".

Then run in terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install skypeThanks

Florio
October 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks very much NikTh for your quick and very helpful reply. Had no trouble following your instructions, but Skype still won't open. The small user panel appears for a split second and then disappears again. Very strange, since I had installed the programme yesterday, carried out the microphone test, and added a couple of contacts. Any ideas?

Florio
October 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Have managed to solve the problem, which was apparently widespread last year.

The solution is here:

http://heartbeat.skype.com/2011/05/problems_signing_into_skype_an.html

Florio