PDA

View Full Version : Are there Amazon Links I can use to support Ubuntu?

nrundy
October 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I've read about how Ubuntu is incorporating Amazon results in Dash searches to make money. I know of lots of websites that simply provide a link that one can click to get to Amazon.com. Then any purchases that get made support the entity from which you linked.

This would be a simple way to support Ubuntu. Anybody know if this Link option is available to support Ubuntu and where I can find it?

mamamia88
October 11th, 2012, 03:54 PM
You can throw them a few bucks via http://shop.canonical.com/ or you can donate them some money via paypal but it's hard to find the address to send money too on their site

thatguruguy
October 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I've read about how Ubuntu is incorporating Amazon results in Dash searches to make money. I know of lots of websites that simply provide a link that one can click to get to Amazon.com. Then any purchases that get made support the entity from which you linked.

This would be a simple way to support Ubuntu. Anybody know if this Link option is available to support Ubuntu and where I can find it?

Considering your earlier thread about not using the Dash to search for internet stuff, the "brainstorm" idea listed in your signature, and the recent brouhaha about both the shopping lens and the Amazon Web App scheduled to be included in 12.10 when it launches next week, it's hard to believe that this thread isn't a trolling attempt.

Mikeb85
October 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM
This is the link the Amazon web app from 12.10 opens up:

http://www.amazon.ca/?tag=u1webapp-ca-20

tag "u1webapp-ca-20"

castrojo
October 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM
It's a different code for each country it seems:

- http://askubuntu.com/questions/192725/how-do-i-make-sure-that-canonical-get-affiliate-benefits-when-i-buy-from-amazon

Mikeb85, are you in Canada?

Mikeb85
October 12th, 2012, 03:16 AM
It's a different code for each country it seems:

- http://askubuntu.com/questions/192725/how-do-i-make-sure-that-canonical-get-affiliate-benefits-when-i-buy-from-amazon

Mikeb85, are you in Canada?

Yup, I sure am in our wonderful, cold, snowy paradise.

nrundy
October 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Considering your earlier thread about not using the Dash to search for internet stuff, the "brainstorm" idea listed in your signature, and the recent brouhaha about both the shopping lens and the Amazon Web App scheduled to be included in 12.10 when it launches next week, it's hard to believe that this thread isn't a trolling attempt.

What is a trolling attempt?

Your post is pretty ignorant. What does my advocacy for Ubuntu Users being able to control the comings and goings on their computer have to do with this post being somehow an attempt to do something negative? I'm assuming Trolling is a negative thing.

I don't like Ubuntu's integration of all these commercial connections in the dash (based on polls, I'm not the only one who doesn't like it). But I understand why they are trying stuff like this. They need finances. I want to support them. And I spend a lot of time both online and off advocating for ubuntu. And donating money. But if there is a way to contribute to ubuntu just by using a link when I purchase something else on Amazon, I'd like to use this link instead of going directly to Amazon.com. It also means I can contribute to Ubuntu without having to put up with the Dash connecting to the Amazon internet all the time.

I'm not the only Ubuntu user unhappy with the inability of Ubuntu to communicate to the user the coming and going of app internet connections on their computer (something both Windows and Mac can do). A lot of my feedback to Ubuntu has resulted in changes to the System Settings that is giving the user more control (and bug fixes) concerning the internet connectivity of the Dash. But more still needs to be done.

nrundy
October 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the links Mike and Castro!

KiwiNZ
October 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Before this degrades further .....closed