PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Font size changes not having effect on some applications

Witra
October 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Recently I switched my HTPC from windows to kubuntu. It's connected to a 720p TV via HDMI from Asus geforce GT 520. I installed NVidia drivers, and they do seem to work rather well.

However, as soon as I did that I noticed all the font sizes were tiny enough to be utterly unreadable. I changed the sizes from application appearance in system settings to size 26 and forced font dpi to 40. [tinypic.com] (http://oi48.tinypic.com/34dqwzb.jpg)

I was, and am, very pleased with the result.
However, KDE partition manager still has those tiny fonts, and is almost unusable, even with KMag [tinypic.com] (http://oi49.tinypic.com/2li8xgn.jpg). I haven't yet gone through every application, but I assume there are a few more with the same problem.

I'm rather lost as to what even could be causing this, thus I'd like to ask if anyone here had an idea?

bra|10n
October 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
You might try the following to see if it fixes font sizes for apps running with elevated privileges;

Alt+F2, kdesu systemsettings

Repeat the font, font size and dpi changes you made earlier.
A login/out may be required before the changes take effect.

Witra
October 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Good idea.
However, after logout, I only get a blank screen. Same if I try to restart kdm.
If I stop KDM, I do get a CLI login, but after starting it up again, it's back to blank

bra|10n
October 13th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Sorry Witra can't help with Kubuntu specifics...
There has been a few posts reporting similar complaints of KDM / black screen recently.
Good luck, I hope you find a fix :KS

bra|10n
October 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Having had the opportunity to install Kubuntu 12.10 in the last few days I can confirm that updating 723 packages using Muon fails, resulting in CLI prompt dead-end as the OP reports.
A reinstall and update via the CLI with the following command is successful however,

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade