PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how do i escape console mode?

jonabark
October 11th, 2012, 04:09 AM
How do I gracefully exit console mode and return to the desktop?

jerrrys
October 11th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Ctrl + Alt + F7

lisati
October 11th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Try:

exit
or

logout

jonabark
October 11th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks for both answers I spose all 3 work.

DuckHook
October 11th, 2012, 05:23 AM
lisati's answer was based on the assumption that you were referring to a graphical console running within the graphical environment. jerrrys' answer was based on the assumption that you had inadvertently switched from the graphical environment residing on<Ctrl> <Alt> <F7> to one of the pure command line consoles which Ubuntu uses as "spare" or extra shells and which reside from <Ctrl> <Alt> <F1> to <Ctrl> <Alt> <F6>. The two solutions address completely different problems and will not do the same thing.

lisati
October 11th, 2012, 05:26 AM
lisati's answer was based on the assumption that you were referring to a graphical console running within the graphical environment. jerrrys' answer was based on the assumption that you had inadvertently switched from the graphical environment residing on<Ctrl> <Alt> <F7> to one of the pure command line consoles which Ubuntu uses as "spare" or extra shells and which reside from <Ctrl> <Alt> <F1> to <Ctrl> <Alt> <F6>. The two solutions address completely different problems and will not do the same thing.

Good call: sometimes the "correct" (or best) answer depends on context.