PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] python help cesar cipher help

snowlizard31
October 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I'm trying to make encryptor and decryptor that encrypts a message into number and vice versa using a dictionary but I'm stuck trying to get back the message in it's entirety, can someone help?

tranlation_dict = { 'a':1, 'b':2,'c':3, 'd':4,'e':5,'f':6,'g':7,'h':8,'i':9,'j':10,'k':11,
'l':12,'m':13,'n':14,'o':15,'p':16,'q':17,'r':18,' s':19,'t':20,'u':21,'v':22,'w':23,
'x':24,'y':25,'z':26}

message = raw_input()
translated = ' '
for letter in list(message):
translated = tranlation_dict[letter]
print translated

This only prints out the last letter of message and I can't seem to figure out how to make it print all the letter

Vaphell
October 11th, 2012, 01:45 AM
indentation. python is sensitive to that.
all lines of loop body need to be aligned and you got print translated starting at the top level. That means it doesn't belong to the loop but is after the loop so it is executed once and the variable holds the last value.

snowlizard31
October 11th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I put the print statement out of the loop because I wanted to see if the for loop would return translated with all the letters translated into number but it only returns the last letter.

Bachstelze
October 11th, 2012, 02:06 AM
The for loop doesn't return anything, it is not a function.

snowlizard31
October 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM
The for loop doesn't return anything, it is not a function.
I tried putting the code in a function but when a ran the code it didn't print anything
for translated

message = raw_input()
translated = ''

def tranlate(message):
translated = tranlation_dict[letter]
return translated

print translated
Here's something else I've tried that didn't work

message = raw_input()
translated = []

def tranlate(message):
translated.append(tranlation_dict[letter])
return translated

print translated

lisati
October 11th, 2012, 02:18 AM
It's usually not sufficient to 'def' a function: you need to call the function and put the result(s) somewhere. As your code stands, your function won't get called, and variable translated won't change.

Vaphell
October 11th, 2012, 02:21 AM
it does translate all letters, but you don't do anything with the result.
message=abc
loop:
letter=a -> trans=1 (don't print)
letter=b -> trans=2 (don't print)
letter=c -> trans=3 (don't print)
print trans=3

in other words you translate everything silently and print only last recorded value. If you moved print into the loop you would get all numbers.

In case you want to store all the numbers in a tidy list printed after the loop, you need to create one and append trans to it, eg

translated = []
translated.append( tranlation_dict[letter] )
print translated
i think you should add space to your dictionary, not being able to type words sucks ;-)

edit: i see the thread has seen a lot of action since i started typing :)

snowlizard31
October 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM
t's usually not sufficient to 'def' a function: you need to call the function and put the result(s) somewhere. As your code stands, your function won't get called, and variable translated won't change.

Ah I forgot to call the function. I just added that but I'm still getting nothing in return

vaphell I tried it with the code that you posted and It worked thank you!! :)