PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Will I be fine with Lubuntu?

Kaarna
October 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hello!

I apologize in advance; I know this is bit of a silly question, but I just wanted to make sure. :P

I recently had my first experience with Ubuntu and Linux in general when I got rid of the default Win7 on a used netbook I bought. (The person who thought that having Win7 on a low-end netbook was a good idea needs to be slapped in the face.) I first went for Ubuntu, but I felt like I could use a little more speed and, to be honest, I didn't really like the Unity DE either.

After a brief search I found Lubuntu and instantly fell in love with it, I found LXDE very intuitive and easy to use for a veteran Windows-user. Its speed's also quite phenomenal.

After tinkering with my new netbook for a while, I've been thinking of migrating from Windows 7 to Lubuntu on my main computer as well. While my main computer isn't very cutting-edge technology anymore, it's not quite the low-end computer that Lubuntu is often "marketed" for either.
I understand that Lubuntu differs from the other flavors mainly by its DE and default programs, but I'm wondering if there are any actual "downsides" to it or if it really comes to just personal preference.

So, what I'm asking is that would Lubuntu be a reasonable choice even for a midrange computer?

I mainly use this computer for browsing the internet, listening to music, watching videos, editing images and playing games.
Will I be missing on something crucial compared to the others if I decide to go for Lubuntu?

Thank you for your help!

Lars Noodén
October 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
It really comes down to personal preference. Lubuntu will run well on newer machines as well as old. If there are any applications that you find you miss, you can always add them with Synaptic.

I2k4
October 10th, 2012, 08:30 PM
You don't mention which Lubuntu you have on your netbook and which you plan to install on the other computer. I've got Lubuntu 10.10 on my netbook and it runs wonderfully but support and software updates have stopped for it (Google Chrome is still current but not GIMP or VLC or other popular software.) Because it runs so well I'm sticking with it for the life of the netbook.

There was a sea change in all Ubuntu versions - including Lubuntu - starting with version 11. Since then I would say any machine that does not run Windows 7 comfortably will probably not run Lubuntu 11+ much better. In the latest versions it's more than Unity interface - without going into details, the underlying operating system is more complex and more demanding of resources at every level. I'd say that IF your other machine has the same specs as your netbook and you install the same Lubuntu version on it, you'll likely be fine.

If not, experiment with Persistent Live USB for a while - anything that runs decently that way will run even better on a hard drive install.

One note about Lubuntu default pre-installed software: after installing it on my netbook I found I deleted most of it and replaced with different, which was time consuming. To do over, I would probably have gone with Mint 11 (based on ubuntu 10) which might be a tad slower, but was more pleasing and had better pre-installed choices for me.

NikTh
October 10th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi,
+1 for Lubuntu.
And here you can find a very good wiki : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Thanks

MG&TL
October 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Since then I would say any machine that does not run Windows 7 comfortably will probably not run Lubuntu 11+ much better.I tend to disagree-there's many machines stuck in the gap-and it's quite a big gap.

In the latest versions it's more than Unity interface - without going into details, the underlying operating system is more complex and more demanding of resources at every level.It's not especially more demanding IMO-however, there is a problem. If your machine is a particular architecture (read up on PAE kernels if you're concerned), it may no longer boot. However, this only applies to especially old machines

If not, experiment with Persistent Live USB for a while - anything that runs decently that way will run even better on a hard drive install.Very good idea.

One note about Lubuntu default pre-installed software: after installing it on my netbook I found I deleted most of it and replaced with different, which was time consuming. To do over, I would probably have gone with Mint 11 (based on ubuntu 10) which might be a tad slower, but was more pleasing and had better pre-installed choices for me.Depends on your preferences. :) I like the default apps.

DuckHook
October 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM
If you are happy with Lubuntu on your netbook, my advice is to stick with it even on a larger, faster machine. You are comfortable with the interface and will feel perfectly at home with it, so why does it matter that it was designed for lighter-duty machines? I respectfully disagree with another poster, though, who advised you to stay with an old, unmaintained version. One of the most important security aspects of the distro model is the way it continually identifies and eliminates vulnerabilities with ongoing updates. Allowing your OS to lapse into obsolescence is not safe practice and foregoes one of the strongest advantages of Linux in the first place.

BTW, the DE can be easily changed in Ubuntu or Lubuntu. Okay, perhaps it isn't "easily" changed, but it's not really that difficult:

1. Fire up Software Centre
2. Search for Gnome 3 (or whatever DE you want)
3. Click install
4. When it is finished, log out
5. Log back in, but choosing the Gnome 3 desktop option

voila

...sometimes I just shake my head at all of the anti-Unity vitriol (not you--but the fanatics). Isn't one of the beauties of Linux the fact that we can customize it any way we like at any time we like?

Kaarna
October 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thank you for your replies, they've been a great help!
I think I'm going to give Lubuntu a shot on this computer as well.

You don't mention which Lubuntu you have on your netbook and which you plan to install on the other computer.

The Lubuntu on my netbook is 12.04.
I have to admit that I don't know all that much about the different versions. But at least for me, the 12.04 has been working like a charm, the difference in performance compared to the earlier Win7 installation is astounding. I'm thinking of installing the same version on this computer as well, that is, if I don't run into any serious problems.

I'd say that IF your other machine has the same specs as your netbook and you install the same Lubuntu version on it, you'll likely be fine.

My main computer is vastly more powerful compared to my netbook.
It certainly doesn't have problems running Win7, I'm thinking of changing my OS mainly due to its reduced usage of the computer's resources, improved security and customizability.

BTW, the DE can be easily changed in Ubuntu or Lubuntu

That's good to know! I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Now to wait for my spare HDD to arrive so I can get to backupping my stuff ;)

I2k4
October 10th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Sounds like you'll be fine. The one question I'd have is whether Lubuntu 12.04 is also an "LTS" version like Ubuntu 12.04 - a quick google suggests not, and that means OS and software updates will terminate maybe sooner than you'd like.

http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1204-now-available

These quick support cycles are a pet peeve of mine and something of a shock to Windows users who still have constant OS and software updates for a decade or more with XP.

MG&TL
October 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Sounds like you'll be fine. The one question I'd have is whether Lubuntu 12.04 is also an "LTS" version like Ubuntu 12.04 - a quick google suggests not, and that means OS and software updates will terminate maybe sooner than you'd like.

http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1204-now-available

These quick support cycles are a pet peeve of mine and something of a shock to Windows users who still have constant OS and software updates for a decade or more with XP.

It's not. However, anything Ubuntu updates (i.e. most non-Lubuntu-specific software) will be updated, so it's not like you're cut off entirely. Only the Lubuntu-specific stuff is not updated.

1clue
October 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM
+1 on getting a nice lightweight window manager for your system, whatever it is.

I'm running an i7 with solid state drive and decent dual-head video card, and I use XFCE, which is pretty light for the hardware. Considering going back to FVWM.

You might consider playing with even lighter window managers, maybe blackbox. I don't think there's an Ubuntu variant based on that though so considering this is the absolute beginner's section you might want to wait till you get more familiar with things.

I2k4
October 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM
It's not. However, anything Ubuntu updates (i.e. most non-Lubuntu-specific software) will be updated, so it's not like you're cut off entirely. Only the Lubuntu-specific stuff is not updated.

My own experience with non-LTS Lubuntu 10.10 was that suddenly Synaptic Reload (or terminal update) simply didn't update anythingm, except Google Chrome which keeps coming. I'm stuck with outdated Firefox 11, GIMP 2.6, VLC 1.x, and other stuff I use less often.

I have no experience with what might or might not be updated in Lubuntu based on an "LTS" version of Ubuntu, which is why I did a quick google and suggested looking further into it. I'd be leery if I expect to keep a machine for three or more years.

Linux_junkie
October 10th, 2012, 10:25 PM
The one question I'd have is whether Lubuntu 12.04 is also an "LTS" version like Ubuntu 12.04

Lubuntu 12.04 is NOT a LTS. Support lasts for 18 months.

But after 18 months I'm sure you'll want to upgrade anyway.

Xubuntu 12.04 is LTS. Support lasts for 3 years.
Kubuntu 12.04 is LTS. Support lasts for 5 years.
Ubuntu 12.04 is LTS. Support lasts for 5 years.