PDA

View Full Version : Storing Useful Information

jonesyp
October 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi,

With so much information being available on websites and online communities for Ubuntu, and other interests of mine I want to be able to record these down somewhere for easy reference in the future. Especially as I get older I tend to forget things!

I have considered the following:

Using Gedit or similar text editor
Using Basic HTML to create web pages
Online docs service like Google Docs
Libre Office or Microsoft Office and storing it on Ubuntu One(Sorry, whilst I love Ubuntu, Libre Office is not a patch on Microsoft Office in my view. Sorry controversial I know)
Installing a Wiki installed locally
Using Drupal or Joomla installed locally
Using Website Bookmarks (I'm concerned in case the website closes down)
Notepad and pen!
The sort of thing I am thinking of is for example how to install the applications I always want on a fresh install of Ubuntu. Also other interests such as books or TV shows I want to read, or gardens I want to visit.

I don't need to publish this to the world, although being able to access from any PC I am at may be useful.

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Peter Jones

johnnybgoode83
October 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I keep a Writer doc with my Ubuntu fresh install procedures so I would recommend that.

I use Keepass for my passwords and a Spreadsheet for my income and expenditure.

Then, for various interests like upcoming music, TV shows, concerts etc, I use good old fashioned pen and paper.

zendob
October 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I think a Wiki is the way to go. Being able to jump through a word to a page with more details or references is invaluable. There are some good ones out there, I am just about to start building one myself, have played a little with moinmoin and am sure I've seen references to ways of storing it on a stick to make it portable, still trying to figure out a way to make it accessible and update-able from everywhere...

mips
October 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I just send myself mails.

MG&TL
October 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I just send myself mails.

Similiarly guilty, but now I have an NFS backup box, into which I just drop stuff.

jerrrys
October 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Zotero works for me.

http://www.zotero.org/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Zotero

evilsoup
October 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I think a Wiki is the way to go. Being able to jump through a word to a page with more details or references is invaluable. There are some good ones out there, I am just about to start building one myself, have played a little with moinmoin and am sure I've seen references to ways of storing it on a stick to make it portable, still trying to figure out a way to make it accessible and update-able from everywhere...

You might be interested in this (http://tiddlywiki.com/).

whatthefunk
October 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I just remember. If I dont remember, it probably wasnt worth remembering anyways. If it was worth remembering and I dont remember it, than I just get on with my life. No sense in documenting every aspect of life.

cjhabs
October 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I use Tiddlywiki - which is a locally installed wiki - each wiki is stored in a single html file so very easy to copy/backup. For private information I keep the relevant wiki in a Truecrypt volume.

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Hi,

With so much information being available on websites and online communities for Ubuntu, and other interests of mine I want to be able to record these down somewhere for easy reference in the future. Especially as I get older I tend to forget things!

I use GEdit to make a manual for installing Ubuntu fresh. All the app config and everything. I use Gedit so it doesn't take much HD space

drmrgd
October 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
A couple years ago I stumbled across Microsoft OneNote, which is probably the best utility for this kind of thing that I've ever come across. Since moving to Linux at home, though, I've had a hard time matching it. You could try Kbasket, which is the closest I could find. I've not extensively tested it, but it seems like it's up to the task. I only mention OneNote specifically for something to use as a search query for Linux equivalents since I haven't looked around for these in a while.

At any rate, it's a virtual scrapbook. It's completely searchable, and you don't have to worry about formatting and such (unless you really want to!). It's integrated into the shell and you can just take screen grabs, paste them in, copy text right in, move hyperlinks right in - basically anything you want to keep record of, can easily be written in there.

At work, I've found this software absolutely indispensable!

theDaveTheRave
January 31st, 2013, 09:51 PM
I've just started using tiddlywiki.

It has a quick and easy to learn syntax, I tried moin moin one time, but the syntax didn't work easily for me with tiddlywiki I can write almost a quickly as I do in word or a text editor. Also you can use HTML markup if required.

You can have a single start page and a separate page for each different subject if you require. Just be sure to keep all the wiki pages in the same directory as the tiddlysaver.jar file so as you can edit them and save them to the file system.

If you use firefox for you main browser you will also need the tiddlyfox addon as by default firefox won't allow you to access the fielsystem for security reasons.

3rdalbum
February 1st, 2013, 01:48 AM
I use Gedit - one file per topic with the filenames consisting of keywords. Really easy to search straight from the Dash.

tgalati4
February 1st, 2013, 04:45 AM
I use zim on a server with a launcher on each machine to bring it up. That way any useful commands or scripts are available on each machine.

ssh -2 -Y username@server zim

I use evernote for any notes that I want available on the road or on my phone.

alphacrucis2
February 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
My preferred program for this sort of thing is Zim. A personal wiki. It is in the repos. I hadn't thought of tgalati4's idea of running a Zim on a server.

Nytram
February 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM
I also simply use text files for my notes, making them easy to access with any text editor on any OS, as well as GNote for a scratchpad. I backup regularly to a flash drive so I'm able to access them anywhere.

fyfe54
February 1st, 2013, 01:29 PM
I use Tomboy and sync notes to Ubuntu One.