PDA

View Full Version : My first smartphone -To be decided

jfreak_
October 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hi guys.. Long time since I have posted..

This is my current phone (http://www.google.com/search?q=nokia+2600&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=umd1UOqTEsfAtAbh0YAw&ved=0CCsQsAQ)

And I am thinking of getting the Lumia 800 for around $350 from my home in south asia. What do you guys think? I know its a one year old phone which is not going to be upgraded and I cannot afford the latest and greatest phone. All I need is to listen to music, play the occasional mini-game,keep track of football scores and trawl through wikipedia and 9gag and most importantly integrate my workplace official outlook account into my phone (is this possible?) Calling and carriers are no concern since I travel A LOT to very diverse countries and I need to get a separate phone there anyway. Also don't care about 4G, LTE or any of the newfangled wireless connections which is not available in my home country.
Also FYI, the S2 costs $450 and Lumia 900 costs $500 which is out of my range anyway.
The 3.7" screen is a bit worrying, I would have preferred a 4" but can't find anything comparable in my price range. I have no clue whatsoever about HTC phones.
I also do not care about app store size, since I guess the commonly used apps will be there on all platforms.
Also I don't care about front camera. The back camera should be just decent enough as I have a top of the line point and shoot camera.
Yeah, I don't pirate music so Nokia's free music for a year scheme is attractive (I understand its DRM free now.. I think).

There so what do you think, good choice or not or you have alternate suggestions? I connect to my Ubuntu system only when I am home (which is rare) so Ubuntu compatibility is not a deal breaker.

thomasw_lrd
October 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I had an HTC phone, and I really liked it. I believe it was the Inspire 4G. It was a little buggy, but I never was sure if it was Android or HTC's interpretation thereof. Everything worked well, but occasionally the camera software would crap out, and I would have to restart the phone to get the camera to work.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I had an HTC phone, and I really liked it. I believe it was the Inspire 4G. It was a little buggy, but I never was sure if it was Android or HTC's interpretation thereof. Everything worked well, but occasionally the camera software would crap out, and I would have to restart the phone to get the camera to work.

same phone i had until i dropped it in the toilet. actually ordered another and should be in tommorow. good phone no front facing camera and bad battery but it's easy enough to slip an extra fully charged battery in my wallet if needed. check out cowboom.com for decent deals on phones.

aysiu
October 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I've owned only three smartphones, but the best has been the HTC Glacier (MyTouch 4G). I had to give it up because I switched carriers, and the phone is tied closely to the carrier in the US.

IWantFroyo
October 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
The cheapest option (if you can buy a plan from a GSM provider):
http://www.amazon.com/HP-P160-Unlocked-Keyboard-Touchscreen/dp/B005J9J6SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349886966&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+veer
It was discontinued, and is IMO a good phone. The software works nicely, and you can install homebrew easily for patches.
It isn't a good idea if you want a big screen, though. It's screen is tiny, although the operating system it has works well on small screens.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
The cheapest option (if you can buy a plan from a GSM provider):
http://www.amazon.com/HP-P160-Unlocked-Keyboard-Touchscreen/dp/B005J9J6SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349886966&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+veer
It was discontinued, and is IMO a good phone. The software works nicely, and you can install homebrew easily for patches.
It isn't a good idea if you want a big screen, though. It's screen is tiny, although the operating system it has works well on small screens.

don't reccomend anything with palm os since it's basically dead

Merrattic
October 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM
HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy SIII

jfreak_
October 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM
HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy SIII

Like I said, out of my league. Remember that I cannot buy phones on contract, can get them unlocked.

Funny, no one has commented on the old Lumia.

thomasw_lrd
October 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Like I said, out of my league. Remember that I cannot buy phones on contract, can get them unlocked.

Funny, no one has commented on the old Lumia.

Isn't that Windows phone?

I heard of them, but I've never seen one in the wild. :lolflag:

CharlesA
October 10th, 2012, 09:20 PM

I heard of them, but I've never seen one in the wild. :lolflag:
Does it really matter what OS a phone is running?

@OP: Are you going to be using the phone in a specific area? The OP mentioned Asia. I've got a phone from Boost, with no contract, but I believe it is limited to the US only.

thomasw_lrd
October 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM

@OP: Are you going to be using the phone in a specific area? The OP mentioned Asia. I've got a phone from Boost, with no contract, but I believe it is limited to the US only.

No it doesn't matter, I just don't see a lot of people on a linux forum having used a windows phone. (In fact I don't see a lot of people on windows forum having used a windows phone). Might explain why nobody commented on it.

I personally wouldn't go with a windows phone, simply because of lack of "apps".

IWantFroyo
October 10th, 2012, 09:36 PM
don't reccomend anything with palm os since it's basically dead

webOS was more or less dropped by HP, but still has an excellent homebrew community, isn't locked, and is now open source. I still don't regret getting my Veer.

For me the big problem is lack of competition among app developers. It's not the type of phone you play games or have a lot of apps on. What it does is call, email, and SMS and it does it nicely.

If you think you want to try rooting, ROMS, or more than 5 apps then get an Android or iPhone.

lisati
October 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I recently purchased my first smartphone (http://www.cnet.com.au/huawei-x1-339317546.htm). It lets me do what I want: make phone calls and interact by SMS/TXT. The apps are a bonus.

jfreak_
October 10th, 2012, 10:52 PM

Like I said, I am not even looking at the calling functionality, which is not to say I want a Ipod touch.
Something mid range,and I think that the Lumia 800 fits the bill. I just don't get why more people are not using it?? I mean the app store is a major argument, but how many of the 600000 apps in android do people actually use? Neither am I going to use to edit HD video, so why would I need the latest and greatest quad-core processor?

CharlesA
October 11th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Like I said, I am not even looking at the calling functionality, which is not to say I want a Ipod touch.
Something mid range,and I think that the Lumia 800 fits the bill. I just don't get why more people are not using it?? I mean the app store is a major argument, but how many of the 600000 apps in android do people actually use? Neither am I going to use to edit HD video, so why would I need the latest and greatest quad-core processor?

I use a few - mostly email, media player, ssh (which is a pain in the butt on a phone), but my phone has a 4.3" touchscreen and is pretty decent for the price I paid.

I've never used the Lumia 800, so I have no option on it. If it is in your price range and you like it, go for it.

I have a ZTE Warp, myself, and it blows the crap out of the Samsung Prevail I had earlier. *shrugs*

mrgs
October 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Are you aware that open source apps are banned in the Windows app store?

The Cog
October 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM

I heard of them, but I've never seen one in the wild.
I saw one a couple of months ago. I (rather facetiously) asked him if it would talk to non-windows phones, and he said yes without batting an eyelid.

Sableyes
October 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have an Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate).

It runs most normal games and apps. Has bluetooth so I can use a keyboard with it and connect it too my headphones. Has a 4.5 inch screen so is usable for Kindle books and odd office stuff on the go. Too be frank, its really rather groovy.

It cost me 100 about a year ago, and is running Cynanogen Mod 9(or 10) Ice Cream Sandwich.

http://montecarlophone.co.uk/

This is my third ZTE, and so far, everythings been grand with them.

One got killed when I had a motorbike dropped on me, the other I broke myself fiddling too much with ROM's, and bricked my own phone.

DaCast
October 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
If I were to have a smartphone, I would go for the Galaxy S3 or an iPhone. Some friends say one is better over the other, but I am not quite sure about it. So perhaps, I will start a thread here, which is better, the S3 or the iPhone. That way, I'll be able to narrow down my choices.

Vandamir
October 14th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Samsung Galaxy S + (Android) or Wave 3 (but it has BadaOS)

Sableyes
October 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM
If I were to have a smartphone, I would go for the Galaxy S3 or an iPhone.

Both phones are good solid mobiles. Equally as 'good' I would say. So have a look at what works with the Galaxy in Android Play Store and the apps for the iPhone, and decide which would suit your personal needs better. :)

koby90
October 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM
According to me galaxy s3 is better than iphone.

mrgs
October 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Please keep in mind the price range original poster mentioned. S3 and Iphone are out of the question.

This guy comes with GPS and GLONASS:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_2_i8160-4559.php

Redzky
October 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Ya, that's Pretty much what you run into with Android phones. Everything is pretty much worked out with a restart and lasts til you get your free upgrade every 2 years or so, depending on your plan.

I got the Evo 4g Design at the moment. Works fine, I used to have Evo 4g. I still use the Evo 4g when I take pics though because I like how they come out.

Had them both for about 2 years. They both work fine and I cracked the hell out of the glass on the Evo 4g. Should be getting my upgrade soon.

CharlesA
October 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
The Android phone I have has issues with 3G sometimes and Winamp like to "crash" but keep on playing until I hit the "force close" button. I've had a coworker mention the same thing happens with the stock app on his S3.

rg4w
October 18th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Only if you purchase apps, and any content with OS-specific DRM, since those won't be able to be transferred to a different OS if you decide to switch later on.

FWIW, in our house we have four Android devices and one iPad 2, and I find Android not only much more flexible but also more usable. YMMV.

thomasw_lrd
October 18th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I just traded for an Iphone 4S, and I've got to say I don't like the lack of functionality I had with my Android phones, and I hate the small screen. Gonna ebay it and get me a Galaxy Nexus from google.

As was stated earlier. If you like the Lumia, get it. The only reason I wouldn't get one is because Windows 8 is coming in 8 days.